Old January 18th 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
julvr

Default How hard to replace bathtub?

How hard is it to replace a bathtub?

I am replacing the walls in the bath area, and SWMBO wants me to
replace the bathtub while I'm at it. Unfortunately, I am very short
of time and money (more money than time), but if it's possible to
replace the bathtub in say a day, then now would be the time to do
it. At the same time, I'm not really ready for a new major
undertaking.

I'm fairly handy. I can plumb copper pipes, but I've never tackled a
bathroom before.

Any advise or information is greatly appreciated.

John

Old January 18th 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

During my bathroom renovation, I managed to get the old bath out and
new bath useable within a day. When I say useable, it was not
siliconed or held in place in any way - just the drain pipe connected.

If you are short of time and money - you might be best advised to
forget it. Bathroom renovations tend to be expensive and time
consuming.

Old January 19th 06, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"julvr" wrote in message
.. .
How hard is it to replace a bathtub?

I am replacing the walls in the bath area, and SWMBO wants me to
replace the bathtub while I'm at it. Unfortunately, I am very short
of time and money (more money than time), but if it's possible to
replace the bathtub in say a day, then now would be the time to do
it. At the same time, I'm not really ready for a new major
undertaking.

I'm fairly handy. I can plumb copper pipes, but I've never tackled a
bathroom before.

Any advise or information is greatly appreciated.

John

SWMBO?

I replaced my tub with a helper, one day for demo prep and one day to
reinstall the tub. New valves and new shower. The drain tried to kick our
ass. A quick trip to ACE hardware bought all of the needed unknown/planned
for products. The it took the better part of a week to install the
finishes.
I used the tub with a sponge and very little water until the grout dried and
was sealed.

Tubs would be a major undertaking in my book. I installed a AS whirlpool
tub.

I would never try to live in a home with one bathroom and do a remodel
again.

Old January 19th 06, 01:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You have to see the big picture here, and look to the future. Tell her "sure
honey, I can do it in a day". Then take a week, and make all kinds of
excuses why it isn't done. She's get so ****ed that she'll never again
insist on doing it her way.

.. .

Old January 19th 06, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Kearney

How hard is it to replace a bathtub?

Depends on your skill level.

I am replacing the walls in the bath area

Why and what kind of walls?

Is this just a soaking tub? Or is it a tub/shower setup? If it's just a
soaker tub (jacuzzi, etc) then you're only talking about dropping a tub
shell into a frame and handling the surface around it (usually tile). If
it's a full tub/shower then you're talking about dealing with a tub with a
lip around it and tiling down onto it. Again, depending on your skill level
it's not all that difficult. I mean, think about it, if the average nitwit
contractor can do it, how hard can it really be??

Doing it right, and dealing with the inevitable complications, is where
experience counts.

Old January 19th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

Yes it is a big job and will probably cost at least twice what you
estimated. Isn't that always the way with home renovations? What's
the old bath made out of anyway? Older ones (like 1970's) tend to be
enameled cast iron which are really really heavy. Me and a strong
helper were really struggling to get my tub out the bathroom door and
out the nearest window.

Old January 19th 06, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

BTW what's SWMBO?

Old January 19th 06, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

Never mind I googled it. Better nip this "must be obeyed" in the bud.
My rule is if she doesn't help, she aint telling me how to do it - I
don't tell her how to to cook so she's not telling me how to renovate.

Old January 19th 06, 06:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

Just out of curiousity how *does* one R&R a tub? Assume wedged in by 3
walls. Does the weight of a cast iron tub alone keep it in place? But the
big question is how the drain is connected/disconnected. I'm not planning
to do one but reading this makes me wonder.

This house has two bathrooms back to back with the baths back to back so
the drain/overflow area is not accessible from behind. I don't even know
how this got installed since I presume some sort of rear or under access is
needed. Or is it? Maybe it was all done from the side before the wall was
closed up. The wall between bathrooms is double thick or greater. Slab
floor.