Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AGM car batteries?

Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 4:06 PM, Oren wrote:
Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

For temps that high the specific gravity of the battery needs to be reduced
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 16:48:24 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/4/2015 4:06 PM, Oren wrote:
Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

For temps that high the specific gravity of the battery needs to be reduced

Okay. I've never done that or know how to do it.

Reviews of AGM & SLI batteries are all over the spectrum. Just trying
to figure it out (my eyes are sore from all the material and opinions)

I'm aware of your experience. Which would you buy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren expressed precisely :
Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

I keep a couple of texicans under the hood tokeep My battery charged...
^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

I keep a couple of texicans under the hood tokeep My battery charged... ^^

How about mouse or squirrels on tread mill? I used to attach solar
trickle charger in olden days. Now new cars with fuel injection has no
problem starting in winter mornings even parked outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 16:49:20 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

I keep a couple of texicans under the hood tokeep My battery charged... ^^

How about mouse or squirrels on tread mill? I used to attach solar
trickle charger in olden days. Now new cars with fuel injection has no
problem starting in winter mornings even parked outside.

What is the point you two guys are making? Battery cells don't go bad
in a car driven regularly? Alternator tests good. No parasitic draws.

How 'bout I use a couple of drunken injun squaws under the hood. Eagle
would like that. I could give them firewater, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:06:48 -0800, Oren wrote:

Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

I had an AGM in a Crown Vic. It came with the police package and it
barely lasted a year. IMHO their high cost is not justified unless
you need their ventless benefits. We sometimes had to put batteries
in the Trunk and we used AGM for that.

I usually buy at CostCo and last time noticed how the warranty was way
shorter then it used to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 9:08:16 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:06:48 -0800, Oren wrote:

Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

I had an AGM in a Crown Vic. It came with the police package and it
barely lasted a year. IMHO their high cost is not justified unless
you need their ventless benefits. We sometimes had to put batteries
in the Trunk and we used AGM for that.

I usually buy at CostCo and last time noticed how the warranty was way
shorter then it used to be.

Car batteries are getting to be like ice cream and mayonnaise.

The price is the same, but you only get 11 volts these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 18:26:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

AGM bastteries are generally very good - but also very expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 19:08:04 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:06:48 -0800, Oren wrote:

Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

I had an AGM in a Crown Vic. It came with the police package and it
barely lasted a year. IMHO their high cost is not justified unless
you need their ventless benefits. We sometimes had to put batteries
in the Trunk and we used AGM for that.

I usually buy at CostCo and last time noticed how the warranty was way
shorter then it used to be.

Thanks. Think I'll stay with a SLI battery. No need for an AGM in odd
positions. Been a fan of Die Hard for decades. The warranty has
dropped to equal 3 years. I can save some dollars by not buying the
AGM type. Seems 3 years is now the max for all solutions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:35:53 -0500, wrote:

AGM bastteries are generally very good - but also very expensive.

At least $60 more for the same warranty, in my case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

New cars seems to demand more power due to all the gadgets. Some cars
have 10 speakers with 610W amp for an example plus cold climate. Heavier
alternator and bigger batteries. My new car has 610 CCA battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 20:27:19 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

New cars seems to demand more power due to all the gadgets. Some cars
have 10 speakers with 610W amp for an example plus cold climate. Heavier
alternator and bigger batteries. My new car has 610 CCA battery.

Yes. This car doesn't have all those gadgets. The Red Top AGM I
considered has ~700 CCA & 100 RC. Think I'll go simple and save some
dollars. What I see is three year warranty is the max in both cases.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 15:33:34 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

I keep a couple of texicans under the hood tokeep My battery charged...

Nice. Have you tried some pregnant Indian midget squaws? I here they
might be hot and enjoy the pleasure.
--
"Your brain is so scary sometimes... it really is."-Jedediah Bila...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 4:06 PM, Oren wrote:
Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

For temps that high the specific gravity of the battery needs to be reduced

Okay. I've never done that or know how to do it.

Not really a good idea to mess with
but the dealer should know if their batteries have a specific gravity
low enough for that warm an environment

Reviews of AGM & SLI batteries are all over the spectrum. Just trying
to figure it out (my eyes are sore from all the material and opinions)

I'm aware of your experience. Which would you buy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

New cars seems to demand more power due to all the gadgets. Some cars
have 10 speakers with 610W amp for an example plus cold climate. Heavier
alternator and bigger batteries. My new car has 610 CCA battery.

Yes. This car doesn't have all those gadgets. The Red Top AGM I
considered has ~700 CCA & 100 RC. Think I'll go simple and save some
dollars. What I see is three year warranty is the max in both cases.

I have local shop selling brand name blemished new batteries at
substantial discount. When I need a battery I go there. Always
good deal. At first sign of weakness I replace it usually 4-5 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 11:40 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I have local shop selling brand name blemished new batteries at
substantial discount. When I need a battery I go there. Always
good deal. At first sign of weakness I replace it usually 4-5 years.

I change them in November after 4 years of use. Never had one fail in
the winter that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The latest Consumer Reports (January 2016) has a very good battery review. One of their life tests was an elevated temperature test.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 10:17 PM, Oren wrote:
Thanks. Think I'll stay with a SLI battery. No need for an AGM in odd
positions. Been a fan of Die Hard for decades. The warranty has
dropped to equal 3 years. I can save some dollars by not buying the
AGM type. Seems 3 years is now the max for all solutions.

Walmart has auto batteries, either 1 year or
5 year warranty. Last one I bought, 1 year,
which lasted about 1 3/4 years. But, wasn't
sure how much longer I'd have the vehicle.

Next one I bought, got the 5 year. Three years
replacement warranty, next two are pro rated
trade in.

I liked the comment in another post, about
mayo and ice cream. Wonder if my Walmart
battery is only 11 volts?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 10:50 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 15:33:34 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

I keep a couple of texicans under the hood tokeep My battery charged...

Nice. Have you tried some pregnant Indian midget squaws? I here they
might be hot and enjoy the pleasure.

Some of the Middle East women, not suited
for being under the hood. Might blow up
your battery.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

I keep a couple of texicans under the hood tokeep My battery charged... ^^

How about mouse or squirrels on tread mill? I used to attach solar trickle
charger in olden days. Now new cars with fuel injection has no
problem starting in winter mornings even parked outside.

Meese and squirrels don't speak gud engrish, so them texicans would
work more better. )

Most of the Carbureted cars and trucks will suffer with battery issues,
where the newer fuel injected engines and non lead-acid type batteries
last much longer. Jump starting is much better than in the past where
jumper cables were the norm. Now, and small hand held lithium battery
will turn over an engine without having to jump from one car to the
other. My new Jeep Grand Cherokee has a battery that is half the size
of a lead acid battery.
You gotta love the new tech!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:57:14 AM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
[...]

some vehicles are locating the vehicle battery in the trunk, far away from the engine heat.

the chevy cobalt is like that
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller formulated on Saturday :
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:57:14 AM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
[...]

I keep the battery in the bed of My truck for weight transfer and ease
of access.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren brought next idea :
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 15:33:34 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

I keep a couple of texicans under the hood tokeep My battery charged...

Nice. Have you tried some pregnant Indian midget squaws? I here they
might be hot and enjoy the pleasure.

You must be one of them texicans....sock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eagle wrote:
bob haller formulated on Saturday :
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:57:14 AM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
[...]

BMW cars do that for front/rear weight balance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 22:05:15 -0600, philo wrote:

For temps that high the specific gravity of the battery needs to be reduced

Okay. I've never done that or know how to do it.

Not really a good idea to mess with
but the dealer should know if their batteries have a specific gravity
low enough for that warm an environment

I was looking into batteries for regional locations. Did read hot
climates need less CCA, but should have a higher RC than what is
needed in the colder northern regions. My take was fewer CCA and
higher RC batteries have a lower specific gravity. If I read it
correctly?
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 07:57:06 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

Most of the Carbureted cars and trucks will suffer with battery issues,
where the newer fuel injected engines and non lead-acid type batteries
last much longer. Jump starting is much better than in the past where
jumper cables were the norm. Now, and small hand held lithium battery
will turn over an engine without having to jump from one car to the
other.

I have a "Booster Pac ES2500" from Amazon and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Booster-ES2500-Peak-Jump-Starter/dp/B0002SQTYG/ref=sr_1_3/181-5761741-3951247?ie=UTF8&qid=1449342078&sr=8-3&keywords=es2500+booster+pac

https://tinyurl.com/qbrfd36

Made by Clore Automotive.

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

New cars seems to demand more power due to all the gadgets. Some cars
have 10 speakers with 610W amp for an example plus cold climate. Heavier
alternator and bigger batteries. My new car has 610 CCA battery.

Yes. This car doesn't have all those gadgets. The Red Top AGM I
considered has ~700 CCA & 100 RC. Think I'll go simple and save some
dollars. What I see is three year warranty is the max in both cases.

Buy a CostCo premium battery and you get 3 years free replacement and
10 years (or was it 100 months) pro rata. That is pretty well standard
with brand name batteries as well.

Lower end batteries generally have 1 year free replacement and 3 or 5
year pro-rata.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 4:06 PM, Oren wrote:
Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

For temps that high the specific gravity of the battery needs to be reduced

Okay. I've never done that or know how to do it.

Not really a good idea to mess with
but the dealer should know if their batteries have a specific gravity
low enough for that warm an environment

Reviews of AGM & SLI batteries are all over the spectrum. Just trying
to figure it out (my eyes are sore from all the material and opinions)

I'm aware of your experience. Which would you buy?

On AGM batteries it is not an issue. On sealed batteries, it is not a
recommended DIY job, and generally batteries sold in a particular area
have the proper SG. All of the USA will have the same SG, with the
possible exception of Alaska and Hawaii. The difference is quite small
at any rate - In Zambia "tropical" acid was used at an ititial SG of
12.25 - which gives the battery only 3/4 of the output of the same
battery with 12.65 acid (standard on most batteries not in tropical
use)
A 12.25 battery will freeze much more easily than a 12.65 battery, and
will not produce the cranking power to start a cold stiff engine - so
should not be used in temperate or colder climates. A sustained
temperature of 80F is the lowest you would consider using an
"adjusted" acid. In Tropical use the reduced cranking power is
generally not an issue.

Some newer batteries, particularly deep cycle, are now using 12.80
acid in temperate and colder zones. (according to Trojan's
information)

As far as sulphation - it is not a significant problem with a fully
charged battery, as there is very litle SO4 (sulphate) in a charged
battery. Sulphation becomes an issue when a battery is left sitting
at below half charge (generally below 11.60 SG) for a prolonged
period. The lower the charge (sg) the shorter the time required to
sulphate the battery.

Generally in temperate climates self discharge runs below 5% per
month. If open circuit self discharge excedes about 25% per month, the
battery is shot.

Antimony doped batteries age much more quickly than pure lead or
calcium doped batteries, and the self discharge increases with
ageong.. Calcium based batteries have double the shelf life of
Antimony batteries when new - and retain that shelf life ofer a much
longer timeframe.

A calcium battery will maintain about 80% charge capacity over a 1
year period, while an antimony battery will be derated to less than
5% charge, and typical hybrid alloys will retain about 35% of initial
charge capacity after sitting for over a year..
In real world experience, this means an antimony battery left sitting
for a year without charge is shot, a calcium battery virtually
unaffected - it will take a full charge and have about 80% reserve
capacity left, while a typical hybrid battery will take a charge and
retain just less than half it's reserve capacity.

If a battery won't handle sitting 2 weeks at a time, being driven or
charged for an hour every 2 weeks, there is something drastically
wrong with either the battery or the vehicle,

AGM batteries generally exhibit significantly lower self discharge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 07:57:06 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
[...]

The stock battery in your Jeep Cherokee IS a lead acid battery. It is
an AGM battery, not flooded cell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 08:00:58 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:57:14 AM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
[...]

The 2000 era Caddy had it under the rear seat - just like an old VW
bug.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 10:42:47 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Eagle wrote:
bob haller formulated on Saturday :
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:57:14 AM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
[...]

And because there is no room under the hiood for the battery (on the
V8s)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

Go with the regular battery with the longest warranty you find. I don't
think the AGM will give any advantage.

Make certain the battery holders and insulators (yes, if they have them) are
in position and secure. Heat is your enemy (as most batteries) IDK know if
all the replies regarding "winter" are applicable to you.

AS an aside, my Toyota dealer offers an installed lifetime guarantee
battery, I compared costs with several vendors and all were about the same
price as Toyota for non lifetime...

I never liked Die Easy batteries because I replaced so many of them in my
younger working (old news) days. I DID like the brand Power Sonic, I had two
cars and a lawn tractor that had them in and never had to replace them,
again ancient news.

Newer cars have very sophisticated power management systems on them. They
monitor draw and charging dynamically. Not just voltage regulators... They
will shed loads if what the manufacturer considers a critical load to
support.

Good luck with your choice and remember the previous terminal posts. G

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 12/5/2015, Oren supposed :
On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 07:57:06 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

Most of the Carbureted cars and trucks will suffer with battery issues,
where the newer fuel injected engines and non lead-acid type batteries
last much longer. Jump starting is much better than in the past where
jumper cables were the norm. Now, and small hand held lithium battery
will turn over an engine without having to jump from one car to the
other.

I have a "Booster Pac ES2500" from Amazon and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Booster-ES2500-Peak-Jump-Starter/dp/B0002SQTYG/ref=sr_1_3/181-5761741-3951247?ie=UTF8&qid=1449342078&sr=8-3&keywords=es2500+booster+pac

https://tinyurl.com/qbrfd36

Made by Clore Automotive.

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/

Looks like a dependable unit...I'd buy one.

I'm thinking on getting something like that, but in lithium form. I
found this on amazon, and it might be a good idea for a Daddy present
this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=ALHMS3PHBE8ZL
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:57:14 AM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
[...]

I never got the chance to look at the new Cadilacs when We bought the
Jeep. I'm kinda glad because I know I would have bought one!
I drool everytime I see one....
http://www.cadillac.com/crossovers-s...crossover.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

submitted this idea :
On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 07:57:06 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

Tony Hwang presented the following explanation :
Eagle wrote:
Oren expressed precisely :
[...]

I know. It's about half the size of a regular lead acid type battery.
I was surprised at how small it is, I was expecting a regular lead acid
battery!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a "Booster Pac ES2500" from Amazon and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Booster-ES2500-Peak-Jump-Starter/dp/B0002SQTYG/ref=sr_1_3/181-5761741-3951247?ie=UTF8&qid=1449342078&sr=8-3&keywords=es2500+booster+pac

https://tinyurl.com/qbrfd36

Mine was from NAPA. Has served me well over
the years. Done several jumps with it. Also
use it in the work van as source of small
bits of 12 volt power.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't keep your hoverboard inside Was: AGM car batteries?

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 14:24:49 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

Car batteries are getting to be like ice cream and mayonnaise.

The price is the same, but you only get 11 volts these days.

AGM bastteries are generally very good - but also very expensive.

Too bad lithium ion batteries are not compatable with everyday use cars
and trucks.

Are they what are used for hoverboards?

At least one caught on fire while being charged, and burned a good
part of the house, and another burst into flames while being ridden.
It was till popping with mini-explosiions when they got their camera
out.

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't keep your hoverboard inside

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 20:29:59 -0500, Micky
wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."