Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't keep your hoverboard inside

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 17:44:29 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 20:29:59 -0500, Micky
wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."

Cool.

I guess if there's a fire, the ocean will put it out.

But what about when you get home. Don't keep the surfboard inside!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AGM car batteries?

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 08:43:04 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/4/2015 10:17 PM, Oren wrote:
Thanks. Think I'll stay with a SLI battery. No need for an AGM in odd
positions. Been a fan of Die Hard for decades. The warranty has
dropped to equal 3 years. I can save some dollars by not buying the
AGM type. Seems 3 years is now the max for all solutions.

Walmart has auto batteries, either 1 year or
5 year warranty. Last one I bought, 1 year,
which lasted about 1 3/4 years. But, wasn't
sure how much longer I'd have the vehicle.

Next one I bought, got the 5 year. Three years
replacement warranty, next two are pro rated
trade in.

I liked the comment in another post, about
mayo and ice cream. Wonder if my Walmart
battery is only 11 volts?

Probably 12 volts, but the warranty is for 5 years, sixty 28-day
months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't keep your hoverboard inside Was: AGM car batteries?

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:30:06 PM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 14:24:49 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

Car batteries are getting to be like ice cream and mayonnaise.

The price is the same, but you only get 11 volts these days.
AGM bastteries are generally very good - but also very expensive.

Too bad lithium ion batteries are not compatable with everyday use cars
and trucks.

Are they what are used for hoverboards?

At least one caught on fire while being charged, and burned a good
part of the house, and another burst into flames while being ridden.
It was till popping with mini-explosiions when they got their camera
out.

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

It may be a good idea to charge items with large Li-Ion batteries on the fireplace hearth. Of course this is during those times when there's no fire. I could imagine a market for a fireproof box for storing and charging things with those type batteries. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Burning Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 20:48:08 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

That's it!! That's how we'll get rich.

Don't tell anyone else, whatever you do.

I don't want them stealing your, I mean our idea.

[8~{} Uncle Burning Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Safety Charger Dock. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ion Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's not bad, but how about Gorilla Charger Safe?

or Stegasaurus Charger Safe?

[8~{} Uncle Ion Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren formulated the question :
wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."

I would have used this back in 1963 when the surf at Santa Monica pier
was 2 foot bubblers. A powered Con 9'3" spooned pin tail with a lithium
powered motor would have been very popular. ^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky formulated the question :

wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."

Cool.

I guess if there's a fire, the ocean will put it out.

But what about when you get home. Don't keep the surfboard inside!

Technology has come a long way since the first fire hazardous L.I.
batteries. That fire hazard is a long past issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote on 12/5/2015 :
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 4:24:53 PM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
has brought this to us :
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 18:26:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 9:08:16 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:06:48 -0800, Oren wrote:

Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

I had an AGM in a Crown Vic. It came with the police package and it
barely lasted a year. IMHO their high cost is not justified unless
you need their ventless benefits. We sometimes had to put batteries
in the Trunk and we used AGM for that.

I usually buy at CostCo and last time noticed how the warranty was way
shorter then it used to be.

Car batteries are getting to be like ice cream and mayonnaise.

The price is the same, but you only get 11 volts these days.
AGM bastteries are generally very good - but also very expensive.

Too bad lithium ion batteries are not compatable with everyday use cars
and trucks.

A little light reading on the subject. ^_^

http://www.atmel.com/Images/article_..._batteries.pdf

[8~{} Uncle Charge Monster

A good way to extend the life of automotive starting batteries, as long
as you aren't in -30C weather.
In the near future, L.I. batteries for starting engines will replace
the lead-acid battery.

Future Eagle

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."

Cool.

I guess if there's a fire, the ocean will put it out.

But what about when you get home. Don't keep the surfboard inside!

Technology has come a long way since the first fire hazardous L.I.
batteries. That fire hazard is a long past issue.

Oh, sure. I guess you missed my post about Hoverboards going on fire
while being charged or used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."

Cool.

I guess if there's a fire, the ocean will put it out.

But what about when you get home. Don't keep the surfboard inside!

Technology has come a long way since the first fire hazardous L.I.
batteries. That fire hazard is a long past issue.

Oh, sure. I guess you missed my post about Hoverboards going on fire
while being charged or used.

My truck had a recall about fire. Just in a garage, not running at
all. It had to do with the cruise control module under the hood and
nothing related to the battery, per se. IIRC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Micky formulated :

wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."

Cool.

I guess if there's a fire, the ocean will put it out.

But what about when you get home. Don't keep the surfboard inside!

Technology has come a long way since the first fire hazardous L.I.
batteries. That fire hazard is a long past issue.

Oh, sure. I guess you missed my post about Hoverboards going on fire
while being charged or used.

I've been reading about L.I. batteries lately, so I know a little about
the tech. It started with the Tesla.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."

Cool.

I guess if there's a fire, the ocean will put it out.

But what about when you get home. Don't keep the surfboard inside!

Technology has come a long way since the first fire hazardous L.I.
batteries. That fire hazard is a long past issue.

Oh, sure. I guess you missed my post about Hoverboards going on fire
while being charged or used.

I've been reading about L.I. batteries lately, so I know a little about
the tech. It started with the Tesla.

Did you just move to Nevada? Hah
--
"Sir, We’re Surrounded. Good, we can attack in any direction" -- Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The fireproof dock would probably need to come in different sizes. It would probably be the cheaper electronic devices that are more likely to catch fire but the Dream Liner had a problem with LiIO batteries when the plane first flew. I caught a glimpse of a story about those new hover boards being banned from passenger flights. Those things are also powered by LiIO batteries. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Burning Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration.."

Cool.

I guess if there's a fire, the ocean will put it out.

But what about when you get home. Don't keep the surfboard inside!

Technology has come a long way since the first fire hazardous L.I.
batteries. That fire hazard is a long past issue.

Oh, sure. I guess you missed my post about Hoverboards going on fire
while being charged or used.

I've been reading about L.I. batteries lately, so I know a little about
the tech. It started with the Tesla.

Have you seen any of the news stories about the fact that Tesla might make more money selling it's batteries to power homes or to replace backup generators? —‰€¿—‰

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Of course we would make larger sizes, for battery operated cars, and
for airplanes with LiIO batteries. That's where we'd make most of our
money.

flew. I caught a glimpse of a story about those new hover boards being banned from passenger flights. Those things are also powered by LiIO batteries. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Burning Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yay! Now all I must do is sell the idea to a manufacturer. —‰€¿—‰

[8~{} Uncle Inventive Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster explained on 12/6/2015 :

wrote:

[...]

Yep. Solar powered charging boxes for your new Tesla Model "X".

Got a spare $80+ grand? Get a new Tesla SUV! lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't keep your hoverboard inside. Keep it outside where a fire won't
hurt much.

What about battery-powered surf boards :-)

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/wavejet/

"...WaveJet boards have a pair of battery-powered water jets
that can propel surfers at up to 12 mph in the fastest configuration."

Cool.

I guess if there's a fire, the ocean will put it out.

But what about when you get home. Don't keep the surfboard inside!

Technology has come a long way since the first fire hazardous L.I.
batteries. That fire hazard is a long past issue.

Oh, sure. I guess you missed my post about Hoverboards going on fire
while being charged or used.

I've been reading about L.I. batteries lately, so I know a little about
the tech. It started with the Tesla.

Did you just move to Nevada? Hah

Na, been in So. Cal. for 59 years. Before that I was at home with the
Sicangu Oyate. I race in Nevada, and go to the shows some, but that's
about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

It's called a safe. 8-)

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 2:41:05 PM UTC-6, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 14:20:20 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 19:44:44 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 20:27:19 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

New cars seems to demand more power due to all the gadgets. Some cars
have 10 speakers with 610W amp for an example plus cold climate. Heavier
alternator and bigger batteries. My new car has 610 CCA battery.

Yes. This car doesn't have all those gadgets. The Red Top AGM I
considered has ~700 CCA & 100 RC. Think I'll go simple and save some
dollars. What I see is three year warranty is the max in both cases.

Buy a CostCo premium battery and you get 3 years free replacement and
10 years (or was it 100 months) pro rata. That is pretty well standard
with brand name batteries as well.

Lower end batteries generally have 1 year free replacement and 3 or 5
year pro-rata.

Have you checked at CostCo lately? I might be mistaken but when I took
a battery back to them several months ago the guy made a point of
telling me that the new batteries did not have the same warranty as
the old one, it was considerably less than it used to be but I don't
recall the specifics now.

J.C.Penny went broke selling what they called "The Forever Battery The Last Battery You'll Ever Have To Buy". it was a good battery but unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype. (〇_ï½ï¼‰

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73606

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrNsRextok

[8~{} Uncle Forever Monster