Old November 30th 10, 04:20 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

Default only Ni-Mh batteries, a better man than I

Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and AAA
batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).

When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older Ni-Cd
batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to the
batteries or the charger to charge them?

Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.

I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight way. When I
asked if I could be transferred to a technical department, she said, "we
have 'all' the information".

All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for something to
happen...
It's a free phone number...... 0800716434

The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?

If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man than I.

Old November 30th 10, 04:22 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

"john gurney" wrote in message

[...]

The answer is no, it will not hurt the Ni-Cds provided the charge
current is within the range of the cells.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 30th 10, 05:33 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

Woody wrote the following:
[...]

Then why is there a toggle switch on my 4 cell charger to switch to
either Ni-MH or Ni-Cad batteries?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old November 30th 10, 06:04 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

In article ,
A. Baum wrote:

The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?

If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man
than I.

NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
common sense knows this.

No straight answer from you either, then.

-- Richard
Old November 30th 10, 06:15 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

[...]

Depends on the charger type - timer or smart charge.

Details on here -

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/can...a-nicd-battery

fixed time chargers may cause, damage smart chargers shouldn't.

Smart chargers often have an LCD display indicating the charge state
of freshly mounted batteries, and vary the charge accordingly.

michael adams

Old November 30th 10, 06:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"john gurney" wrote in message

Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and
AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).

When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

So, there was nothing printed on the package stating what kind of batteries
the charger was meant for, or how many it could charge at once?

I have a Rayovac charger I selected because it charges NiCad and NiMH
batteries, and will do up to eight AAs at one time. But, you know, I read
the package.

Old November 30th 10, 06:33 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 11:28*am, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:22:14 +0000, Woody wrote:
[...]

Uh, Nicads where charged mostly by time, NmMh by current sensing. You
would want to monitor a nicad very closely in a NmMh charger if it didn't
complain and abort the charge in the first place. My Duracell charger
will not charge Nicad. Not even attempt to charge them. *- Hide quoted text -

As I understand it NiMh peak at a higher voltage than Nicad, voltage
drop is the best way to monitor a cells charge, ive done it for my RC
car packs. He can do the "feel if its warm test", when they start to
get warm they are 100% charged. Better is he could simple slip volt
meter leads in the charger and monitor if it does cut off at voltage
peak or continue charging and cook the batteries. It may or may not be
fine. My Nimh charger does Nicads on Volts peak cutoff. A good charger
should charge anything.
Old November 30th 10, 07:01 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 5:33*pm, willshak wrote:
Woody wrote the following:

[...]

Because it's less intelligent than my charger 4 cell charger which
charges either, automatically.

MBQ

Old November 30th 10, 07:02 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 5:23*pm, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:20:33 +0000, john gurney wrote:
[...]

Any idiot with a grain of common sense (seems to rule you out) also
knows an intelligent charger can cope with both types.

MBQ
Old November 30th 10, 07:28 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Woody wrote the following:
"john gurney" wrote in message

snip
Then why is there a toggle switch on my 4 cell charger to switch to either
Ni-MH or Ni-Cad batteries?
Bill

I think it's because Ni-Mh charge at a slightly higher voltage?

Steve Terry
--
Quidco cashback Sign-up Bonus of 1.25 when you signup at:
http://www.quidco.com/user/613515/55307

UPS batteries D Yuniskis Electronics Repair 61 December 14th 09 10:17 PM
Batteries SteveB[_10_] Metalworking 2 May 20th 09 01:43 PM
New Batteries Weatherlawyer UK diy 19 January 19th 08 03:23 PM
Batteries David Lang UK diy 15 August 1st 05 08:24 AM
14.4v batteries David Lang UK diy 4 July 16th 05 12:35 PM