Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Li Ion batteries

Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

You read the instructions?

Proper blokes NEVER do that.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Generally speaking, these ludicrous warnings arise from court cases in
the USA where some moron put the batteries in a microwave (I expect some
other moron on the internet told him you could charge them up that way)
and then they went bang.

Warming up dry cells in an ordinary oven was a way of coaxing some more
life out of them. So I'd guess Chinese whispers resulted in a modern
version.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

You read the instructions?

Proper blokes NEVER do that.

OK. I'm a nerd :-)

But a safer one...
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wife bought Miniature (Patio) Rose in a pot yesterday.
Label said "Not for Human consumption".
I suppose I'll have to feed it to the slugs then....

--
OlavM
Overlooking the Clyde where it meets the Sea
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion batteries
on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-18, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

Generally speaking, these ludicrous warnings arise from court cases in
the USA where some moron put the batteries in a microwave (I expect some
other moron on the internet told him you could charge them up that way)
and then they went bang.

Of all the countless things people could - but should not - do with them,
they select two plain-as-a-pikestaff-to-anyone-with-a-brain examples to
specifically warn about? Within the confines of an ordinary kitchen -
place on a red hot cooker ring, put into waste disposal unit, try to burn
in an Aga (after all, di-lithium is carbon...).

Agreed about why, but the ludicrous (and foreseeable) consequence is that
people to not take heed of any important, sensible warnings about anything.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 11:47:19 +0100, Olav M
wrote:

Wife bought Miniature (Patio) Rose in a pot yesterday.
Label said "Not for Human consumption".
I suppose I'll have to feed it to the slugs then....

Does not cure TB...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

http://snipurl.com/24p1dv1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 18, 9:51*am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
You read the instructions?

Proper blokes NEVER do that.

I bought a battery charger this week. I've read the instructions twice
and I _still_ can't work it.

(LiPo balance charger)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Let the wife have a go and if it still does not work then it is ****ed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do they have the obligatory little Japanese man doing it with an X across it
or some cartoon explosion afterwards. I used to enjoy Hitachi instruction
books as they obviousluy had a sense of humour.

Brian

Email:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion batteries
on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No the first challenge is to get them to actually read them in the first
place, which is where we came in.
I noted that when I bought my last shaver it had a little picture of a wheel
running over the shaver with an X by it, at least this is what my reader
person said it was, but she had no idea what it meant.

Do not run over your shaver I'd have thought was rather obvious, but I've
lost the book now so I'll never know for sure.

Brian

Email:

"polygonum" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 10:46:31 +0100, Huge

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:51:02 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:
I noted that when I bought my last shaver it had a little picture of a
wheel running over the shaver with an X by it, at least this is what my
reader person said it was, but she had no idea what it meant.

You mean to say that you've never tried shaving a car tyre?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:51:02 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:
I noted that when I bought my last shaver it had a little picture of
a wheel running over the shaver with an X by it, at least this is
what my reader person said it was, but she had no idea what it meant.

You mean to say that you've never tried shaving a car tyre?

He used to, until he got his new shaver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2012 15:52, Phil L wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:51:02 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:
I noted that when I bought my last shaver it had a little picture of
a wheel running over the shaver with an X by it, at least this is
what my reader person said it was, but she had no idea what it meant.

You mean to say that you've never tried shaving a car tyre?

He used to, until he got his new shaver.

I use a razor blade to help with puncture repairs on bike tyres - close
enough?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

Well, that's excellent advice, if you ask me.
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

You read the instructions?

Proper blokes NEVER do that.

OK. I'm a nerd :-)

But a safer one...

Not necessarily. He might never have thought about doing that, but now
he'll start wondering what would happen....

In movies, don't you just love the improvised bomb in microwave which
always goes off just after the "ping"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...

In movies, don't you just love the improvised bomb in microwave which
always goes off just after the "ping"

That's because of the spark igniting the vapour as the thing switches off.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-18, Phil L wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

http://snipurl.com/24p1dv1

Wince.

Adds a whole new dimension to having a screw!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

To be fair, my wife once washed a pair of my trousers with a Canon Li
Ion battery in the pocket. It was only by chance that it was found
before tumble drying! I'm not sure that being told not to tumble dry it
would have made any difference though.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

Lucky you pointed that out

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

I bought a toaster in Indonesia which came with a warning that it gets
hot

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion
batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

http://snipurl.com/24p1dv1

What sort of dickend would do such a thing?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 11:46*pm, geoff wrote:

I bought a toaster in Indonesia which came with a warning that it gets
hot

I worked with someone who complained when they were burned by a hot
fork. They had no idea that microwaving it would make it quite so hot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 22:08:07 +0100, SteveW wrote:
"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

To be fair, my wife once washed a pair of my trousers with a Canon Li
Ion battery in the pocket. It was only by chance that it was found
before tumble drying! I'm not sure that being told not to tumble dry it
would have made any difference though.

I managed to wash and dry an ipod a few weeks ago after it was left in a
pocket. It looks clean now, but doesn't work. No explosion, though...

only Ni-Mh batteries, a better man than I john gurney Home Repair 29 December 1st 10 10:36 PM
Batteries SteveB[_10_] Metalworking 2 May 20th 09 01:43 PM
Car Batteries Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 49 February 3rd 08 04:07 AM
New Batteries Weatherlawyer UK diy 19 January 19th 08 03:23 PM
AA Batteries Sir Psycho Electronics 9 May 16th 06 11:39 PM