Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default AGM car batteries?

Oren posted for all of us...

Need a new 12V battery for a car (two dead cells).

Seems now all batteries just have a 3 year warranty. Some just 30
months.

Anybody use AGM batteries? I'm in the desert with temps reaching up
117F in summer. Always had SLI batteries, some lasted 5 years.
Thinking about the AGM models.

Go with the regular battery with the longest warranty you find. I don't
think the AGM will give any advantage.

Make certain the battery holders and insulators (yes, if they have them) are
in position and secure. Heat is your enemy (as most batteries) IDK know if
all the replies regarding "winter" are applicable to you.

AS an aside, my Toyota dealer offers an installed lifetime guarantee
battery, I compared costs with several vendors and all were about the same
price as Toyota for non lifetime...

I never liked Die Easy batteries because I replaced so many of them in my
younger working (old news) days. I DID like the brand Power Sonic, I had two
cars and a lawn tractor that had them in and never had to replace them,
again ancient news.

Newer cars have very sophisticated power management systems on them. They
monitor draw and charging dynamically. Not just voltage regulators... They
will shed loads if what the manufacturer considers a critical load to
support.

Good luck with your choice and remember the previous terminal posts. G

--
Tekkie