Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) elderly shoppers

On 12/1/2015 9:27 AM, Pat wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 09:06:51 -0500, Stormin Mormon
My Mom used to tell me about "depression babies".
These are the people born right after TGD, and
still are greatly affected by it. Might be the
case with the 80 y.o. shoppers.

My Mom was in her late teens during the depression and was responsible
for her younger brothers and sisters due to her parents both passing
away young. I can still remember driving her around to various
grocery stores in the 80's so she could save 3 cents on a can of green
beans or whatever was on sale. We easily spent more on gas going to 3
or 4 stores than the savings, but she couldn't help it.

My Mom commented on people who drove across
town to save ten cents on a bag of potato
chips. Same concept.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 09:27:09 -0500, Pat wrote:

My Mom was in her late teens during the depression and was responsible
for her younger brothers and sisters due to her parents both passing
away young. I can still remember driving her around to various
grocery stores in the 80's so she could save 3 cents on a can of green
beans or whatever was on sale. We easily spent more on gas going to 3
or 4 stores than the savings, but she couldn't help it.

I can sure relate to this. Before my mom passed away, I had to do the
same thing. Not only did it cost me for gas, but it wasted a lot of my
time. More than once, I told her that "I'll pay the extra 3 cents, OR
you'll have to pay for $10 worth of gas for my car". Then she would act
as it it was the end of the world to pay that 3 cents, grab the beans,
and say "you dont have to pay the 3 cents"..... She always offerred me
gas money anyhow, but it was not the money as much as it was my time,
since I often was losing money because I had jobs to do, rather than
spend half a day doing grocery shopping.... (which I always found to be
very boring too).

But now that mom is gone, I'd give almost anything to go shopping with
her one more time, and let her waste as much time and gas as she
wanted........ (:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Police car headlights

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

Per Tekkie®:
Just today I witnessed an ambulance blow two red lights on a main
thoroughfare.... no siren in this case, no lights.... just relying on
some new system they have in place that turns the light suddenly green
for the emergency vehicle - only fly in the ointment was the lights did
not turn green until *after* the vehicle had blown through them.

It's called traffic preemption. There is a acknowledgment sent back to the
EV that the signal is giving them the green.

Seems like one of those things that sounds good in a sales presentation,
but may not work so well in practice.

The EMS driver is relying on oncoming traffic to heed a red light that
suddenly appears with no yellow light, no warning whatsoever... just
"Blink !" and it's red.... and, in the case I witnessed, the EMS driver
is even proceeded through the light *before* it turned green for him.

The signals cycle through yellow to red. I wasn't there but EMS units are
req'd to stop at red lights. Gotta get there to help, even on the hot calls..

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Tekkie®:
The signals cycle through yellow to red. I wasn't there but EMS units are
req'd to stop at red lights. Gotta get there to help, even on the hot calls.

This unit did not stop and the light did not change until they had
passed through it. Period.... Couldn't see the lights on the other
side, so I do not know if they cycled through yellow - but the change
seemed improbably rapid for the conventional Green-Yellow-Red cycle
around here - that is what prompted my speculation as to what traffic
coming into that green light was to do when it flicked to red so rapidly
- with or without some token yellow.

As a frequent bike rider, I suspect I see more apparently-unsafe
activity than most people driving motor vehicles around here do.... and
I will try to look more closely/carefully next time I see an EMS unit
coming my way into a red light.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 15:31:07 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Tekkie®:
The signals cycle through yellow to red. I wasn't there but EMS units are
req'd to stop at red lights. Gotta get there to help, even on the hot calls.

This unit did not stop and the light did not change until they had
passed through it. Period.... Couldn't see the lights on the other
side, so I do not know if they cycled through yellow - but the change
seemed improbably rapid for the conventional Green-Yellow-Red cycle
around here - that is what prompted my speculation as to what traffic
coming into that green light was to do when it flicked to red so rapidly
- with or without some token yellow.

As a frequent bike rider, I suspect I see more apparently-unsafe
activity than most people driving motor vehicles around here do.... and
I will try to look more closely/carefully next time I see an EMS unit
coming my way into a red light.

Several years ago, in a small local town, I pulled up to a red light and
sat there for over 10 minutes waiting for it to change to green. I
intended to turn left. It was late at night with no traffic. But I knew
if I went thru it, there would probably be some cop waiting to pull me
over. I finally backed up, got in the right lane, made a legal right
turn on red, drove a few blocks up the road, turned around in a parking
lot, and proceeded to go in my intended direction.

The next day I called the police station and told them the problem. I
was told that the town's electrician has tried to fix it but it appears
the problem is underground and since it's winter, they can not dig it up
until Spring. I suggested they turn those lights into flashing lights,
or just shut them off and put stop signs on the posts until spring, or
at least put some sort of sign that says "This light is broken". I was
told to just treat them like a stop sign, come to a stop, check for
traffic, and proceed to go when it's safe.

I said OK, but what do I do if I get pulled over for running a red
light. He said that they are not pulling people over at that light as
long as people stop and check for traffic before going. I explained that
I did not live in that town and did not know what I should do. He said
sorry, we will fix it as soon as weather allows. He said they have
gotten a lot of calls about that light. I replied "I bet you have".

That Spring they did dig up near those lights and got them working
properly. Until then, I did what they told me to do.

I wonder how many other non-residents sat at that light cussing for 10
minutes or more??? I know that in a big city, this would have been
attended to quickly, even if it meant replacing them with stop signs
until the repair was completed.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 09:06:51 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/1/2015 9:00 AM, Pat wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 07:36:21 -0500, Stormin Mormon
Ask them some day if they want to tell you about The
Great Depression. I bet they remember it like yesterday,
but can't remember yesterday due to depression.

Life moves on. 80 year olds can't remember the great depression
because they weren't born yet. Someone has to be in their 90's to
remember it (assuming people don't remember much before age 5). Only
people over 100 are likely to have been a head of household trying to
survive during the great depression.

My Mom used to tell me about "depression babies".
These are the people born right after TGD, and
still are greatly affected by it. Might be the
case with the 80 y.o. shoppers.

You didn't need to live through the great depression to have that
mentality pownded into you. My mother, born in 1928, was the oldest of
14 kids who grew up on a farm with parents who DID live through the
depression - and were not wealthy, and extremely thrifty.
She grew up knowing the value not only of a dollar but a dime and a
penny too.

My Dad grew up as one of 7 - also on the farm, in the same time period
-and roughly the same circumstances. He also knew the value of a dime
and a penny.

As they started their life together, money was still a scarce
commodity as he worked other peoples farms, then moved to town and
learned a trade.

I remember what it was like growing up "working poor" - many times not
knowing where the next meal was goming from - and some years without
the help of church people there would have been no Christmas.

Dad worked his way out of that situation and in his later years lived
a comfortable life - but don't think that didn't leave an impression
on (in particular) the oldest 3 of our family.

I still hate to see anything wasted, and can therefor live on a lot
less than many of my friends and associates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 6:17 PM, Frank wrote:

Cop in an unmarked van came up behind my wife and was tailgating her
so she sped up to increase the distance to find out it was a cop and
get a speeding ticket.

She was too embarrassed to tell me and paid it. Had I known, I would
have fought it.

Some cops, like thieves, are often lazy and look for easy ways to make
money.

And sometimes they're riding your bumper while they're using a plate
reader or calling in the plate number to see if there are any open
warrants or other reasons to make a stop. Once you've checked out
okay, they usually back off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 9:03 PM, bob haller wrote:

I took a elderly 80 years old couple shopping. but quit when the
west view cops gave me a hard time because in snowey weather they
complained and threatened to give me a ticket because i dropped
them near the grocery stores door

the couple wouldnt go to the mayor so i told them to find another
way.

everywhere else the cops watch old people being dropped off by the
door, and its no problem.

my old friends are millionaires, but hate spending money on food.

they still use a wringer washer, have no microwave, no cable, no
internet, since they charge every month. they will go thru 30
coffee cakes to pick out the biggest one

heck they put buiilion cubes on hamburger helper.... to not buy
meat

That's the thing that drives me crazy about people with money - they
are so goddamned cheap. Yes, that's how they got their money, but this
is a good example - they scrimped and saved all their lives, and for
what? They can't take it with them. It's past time to treat themselves
well for whatever time they have left.

One of my sisters happens to be friends with several very wealthy
couples. My sister and her husband (blue collar) pay their own way to
fly down to visit these people at their vacation homes, where their
"friends" put them to work around their property so they don't have to
hire help. Yet they'd never consider even paying them for their
airfare, much less paying them for their work.

My sister was going to go on a cruise this winter with a couple of her
millionaire lady friends, but then was suddenly laid off. She told
them she couldn't go after all, since she'd just lost her job. They
have done nothing but bitch and moan about how she is inconveniencing
them by not going anymore - and how come she doesn't ask her son to
pay for her cruise? Oh, and they still expect her to do all the
booking and other arrangements for their trip, even though she's not
going.
Neither one ever offered to pay for her cruise, and these are people
who have so much in the bank and so much income, their accountants
have been pleading with them to please, please spend some money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/1/2015 9:00 AM, Pat wrote:
[...]

Japanese old saying, "If you laugh at penny, some day you'll cry for penny"

As they started their life together, money was still a scarce
commodity as he worked other peoples farms, then moved to town and
learned a trade.

I remember what it was like growing up "working poor" - many times not
knowing where the next meal was goming from - and some years without
the help of church people there would have been no Christmas.

Dad worked his way out of that situation and in his later years lived
a comfortable life - but don't think that didn't leave an impression
on (in particular) the oldest 3 of our family.

I still hate to see anything wasted, and can therefor live on a lot
less than many of my friends and associates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2015 5:48 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

[...]

I'm not so sure her friends are friends.

I'd like to die broke. If I knew when the end would come I'd plan it to
the last day. Meantime, I have enough to live on for some years and I'm
enjoying the surplus while we can.

We splurge on a few things, travel a bit more, do some good for less
fortunate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 16:41:56 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

On 11/30/2015 6:17 PM, Frank wrote:

Cop in an unmarked van came up behind my wife and was tailgating her
so she sped up to increase the distance to find out it was a cop and
get a speeding ticket.

She was too embarrassed to tell me and paid it. Had I known, I would
have fought it.

Some cops, like thieves, are often lazy and look for easy ways to make
money.

And sometimes they're riding your bumper while they're using a plate
reader or calling in the plate number to see if there are any open
warrants or other reasons to make a stop. Once you've checked out
okay, they usually back off.

Years ago the town cop followed my brother out of town, right on his
bumper. As they came over a rizehe could tell it was the cruiser, so
when they hame over the next rise he swerved slighly then nailed the
brakes. The cop locked up all 4 and left the road. When my brother
went back "to see how he was doing" the cop cursed at him and asked
what the X$%LL he was doing, and all my brother said was "you didn't
see the big dog??? I just missed him."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 21:08:07 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

When my dad asked if I thought he should buy a new car back in his
seventies, i asked if he could afford it. I said not to worry about
leaving anything to us kids - if he wanted a new car and had the money
- buy it!! I said the ideal situation would be to spend his last
dollar on the same day he takes his last breath.

Cancer fowled up that plan and he hadmore money than time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 8:08:13 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

When I was working, me and my friends would often help people out with repairs for little or no money. None of us were wealthy and we worked our butts off to pay our bills. We helped people who were old or disabled and on fixed incomes. When their families found out, they would call us to do work for them and paid full price. Now I'm in rough shape and some really good folks are helping me. Karma is real. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Karma Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2015 5:48 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
I still hate to see anything wasted, and can therefor live on a lot
less than many of my friends and associates.

I some how sense that, Tony.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Police car headlights and karma

On 12/2/2015 3:54 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 8:08:13 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We splurge on a few things, travel a bit more, do some good for less
fortunate.

When I was working, me and my friends would often help people out with repairs for little or no money. None of us were wealthy and we worked our butts off to pay our bills. We helped people who were old or disabled and on fixed incomes. When their families found out, they would call us to do work for them and paid full price. Now I'm in rough shape and some really good folks are helping me. Karma is real. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Karma Monster

Sounds like the movie "Pay It Forward". Have you
seen that? Neat movie. I'm sure the reviews on
line will give you the story line, if not.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Tony Hwang:
Japanese old saying, "If you laugh at penny, some day you'll cry for penny"

I call it "Respect for money".

I'll bend over to pick up a penny on the street - just out of respect.

Didn't know I had it until I saw this guy throw a hand full of pennies
at some pigeons in the city and had a serious "WTF ???" moment.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 08:30:41 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Tony Hwang:
Japanese old saying, "If you laugh at penny, some day you'll cry for penny"

I call it "Respect for money".

I'll bend over to pick up a penny on the street - just out of respect.

Didn't know I had it until I saw this guy throw a hand full of pennies
at some pigeons in the city and had a serious "WTF ???" moment.

I tend to pick up pennies too. (Unless they are in a urinal or toilet).
I always figure, WHY NOT pick them up. A penny is a penny and bending
over is good exercise.

I saw a young guy leave a convenience store one day. As soon as he left
the store he just tossed all his change (coins) on the ground. The guy
who was with him, did the same thing. I picked up all the coins, and got
almost $2. I went into the store, bought a can of soda and a donut with
that change, and I still had a few coins left. I really enjoyed that
"treat". For some reason, food always tastes better when it's free......

By the way, I dont think the Japanese use Pennies.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 6:59:11 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/2/2015 3:54 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 8:08:13 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We splurge on a few things, travel a bit more, do some good for less
fortunate.

When I was working, me and my friends would often help people out with repairs for little or no money. None of us were wealthy and we worked our butts off to pay our bills. We helped people who were old or disabled and on fixed incomes. When their families found out, they would call us to do work for them and paid full price. Now I'm in rough shape and some really good folks are helping me. Karma is real. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Karma Monster

Sounds like the movie "Pay It Forward". Have you
seen that? Neat movie. I'm sure the reviews on
line will give you the story line, if not.
--
.

I've been playing the "Pay It Forward" game for many years. Whenever I helped a stranded motorist with a jump start, flat tire or empty fuel tank, I refused to take money and told them to just help someone else. I can't do that kind of thing anymore but I can get on the phone and call for help if I see an accident or someone who broke down on the road. t(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Motoring Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 20:54:43 -0500, wrote:

By the way, I dont think the Japanese use Pennies.....

Canada doesn't any more either.

I didn't know that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 20:33:32 -0600, wrote:

I didn't know that!

"Isn't this thread ever going to die?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/15 4:21 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 08:30:41 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Tony Hwang:
[...]

I do my early morning 30 minute fitness-walk at a nearby strip shopping
center that has several free-standing fast food joints.

I routinely pick up change right outside the drive-thru payment window.
That's money that the driver drops but doesn't get out of the car to
pick up. I also find change-- usually mostly pennies several feet past
the window-- change that people tossed.

In parking spaces right near the restaurants, I sometimes find change
mixed with food wrappers/bags, usually on the driver side of the parking
space-- money tossed out with the litter by in-car eaters.

I walk most days and typically score between 50 cents and a dollar which
I save up in a jar. Every few months, it pays for an extra dinner out
with the missus-- thereby undoing the good my walking did...

--
There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 2:16:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:

But now that mom is gone, I'd give almost anything to go shopping with
her one more time, and let her waste as much time and gas as she
wanted........ (:

That was nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :
We eliminated the penny, or 1 cent peice, several years back.

Did you notice any increase in prices ?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 17:32:33 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 18:16:04 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 16:40:30 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

I think the flashing lights on emergency vehicles have now got too brite. they are dazzaling and now became a hazard of their own......

You are correct. They have become too bright, esp at night. Don't
know how the lights are set up these days but when I used to spec
light bars the good ones included an option to automatically dim them
at night. I don't know if anyone uses that option anymore. The
police aren't known for their consideration of others and in fact in
some situations they want to blind you so you can't see them.

Maybe the lights show better in heavy fog and blinding snow white
outs. We can't be having people see an emergency vehicle, now can we?

They will show up just fine with an ambient light sensor that dims
them at night.

Anyone ever upgrade to HID car headlights? bob haller Home Repair 25 November 14th 15 02:33 AM
Headlights oscillating Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Home Repair 57 August 9th 15 08:43 PM
Headlights Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 22 April 8th 13 09:07 PM
foggy headlights Herb Eneva Home Repair 75 May 8th 12 03:41 PM
DIWANIYA - Gunmen killed two police officers and wounded another on Tuesday night in a drive-by shooting in the southern city of Diwaniya, 180 km (110 miles) south of Baghdad, police said BGKM Woodworking 0 March 15th 07 08:31 AM