Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone ever upgrade to HID car headlights?

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 20:28:10 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

Unless theoptique is designed for the HID bulb being used it is
illegal and the results are not good. All kinds of glare and scatter
problems. If there is a headlamp assembly made for and approved by the
DOT for the vehicle, that upgrade would be good. I'd stay away from
anything else, because the light source has to be at exactly the right
location in the reflector to work properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2015 9:28 PM, bob haller wrote:
http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

I'd be leary of trying to retrofit that technology to an older vehicle.
You can't just arbitrarily "put a big, bright light" on the front
of your vehicle to help YOU see better; there are other folks
on the road! About half of them are coming from the opposite direction!

The HID's also run off a high voltage supply. For the unwary, you
can get a good kick from it if unaware. You wouldn't grab a *plug* wire,
would you?

We looked at a few vehicles with HID but the vehicle we chose has
LED (array) headlights. We have been very pleased with them and the
coverage they provide. Feels like you're driving with your
"high beams" on all the time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

The price looks good, but I wonder how good the lights are? I've seen
a couple of upgrades that look great, but I've seen others that have a
blue color to them. That was a couple of years ago and maybe they are
al better now.

I got a factory upgrade and it cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

The price looks good, but I wonder how good the lights are? I've seen
a couple of upgrades that look great, but I've seen others that have a
blue color to them. That was a couple of years ago and maybe they are
al better now.

I got a factory upgrade and it cost tens of thousands of dollars.

you can pick your prefered color, all the way from yellow to blue. lights are plug in to existing sockets so no rewiring necessary, and they use less power too

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

The price looks good, but I wonder how good the lights are? I've seen
a couple of upgrades that look great, but I've seen others that have a
blue color to them. That was a couple of years ago and maybe they are
al better now.

I got a factory upgrade and it cost tens of thousands of dollars.

you can pick your prefered color, all the way from yellow to blue. lights are plug in to existing sockets so no rewiring necessary, and they use less power too

Hid plug in to your existing socket?? I think not. They require a
high voltage ballast power supply - and virtually all are blue-white
-
Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to
produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How
come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds
of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament.
The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely
dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along
the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder
fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a
crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because
as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat
causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the
crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of
light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the
brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely
dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends
of the crescent of light.
(from Daniel Stern)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

prices have dropped dramatically

You mean those ****ing headlights that blind other drivers?

I've filed numerous complaints to the Federal and local State D.O.T.
asking them to ban them. The plain old common headlights worked fine for
decades, now it's come down to who can blind the other driver the most
and cause the most accidents as a result.

HID headlights are ten times worse against other drivers, (on dim) than
having standard headlights with the BRIGHTS turned ON.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

Unless theoptique is designed for the HID bulb being used it is
illegal

Cite? Federal or State?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

Unless theoptique is designed for the HID bulb being used it is
illegal

Cite? Federal or State?

both. look it up for yourself. Any modification to the headlight that
changes it's beam pattern or output (beyond a certain limit which
virtually all HID conversions excede) is against the DOT rules and
modt highway safety acts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the ballasts plug into the existing light sockets and has a output plug to the HID lights.

its plug and play, and can be converted back in minutes

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

FWIW... One of the selling points of HID is that they are "brighter".
I have tried "brighter" bulbs in a couple of cars, up to nearly twice
as bright as the OEM bulbs. From what I could see it didn't make any
meaningful difference in "lighting up the road in front of me". My
conclusion was that if you have crappy optics, which a great many US
cars have, no amount of "brighter" is going to fix that. And since
the HID are likely to not be in the correct optical location they are
even less likely to improve the "lighting up the road in front of me"
goal. So I personally would not bother with retrofitting HID
bulbs/systems into existing optics. I have found adding GOOD driving
lights produces a far better "lighting up the road in front of me"
result then trying to fiddle with the existing optics bulbs.

The only time retrofitting improved things was when I replaced my high
beam sealed beam round SAE "old fashioned" bulbs on my 69 Pontiac with
"hella" style reflectors with halogen bulbs. But those weren't well
sealed and after a few years the reflective surface deteriorated/got
dirty to the point where they were noticeably not as good as when I
first installed them.

And if you are trying to "fix" a 5 year old plastic OEM that's
starting to haze over by putting in brighter bulbs that's a lost cause
too. Most of the increased light will just be scattered into
uselessness and glare by the fogged up plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 18:12:05 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

wrote:

prices have dropped dramatically

You mean those ****ing headlights that blind other drivers?

I've filed numerous complaints to the Federal and local State D.O.T.
asking them to ban them. The plain old common headlights worked fine
for decades, now it's come down to who can blind the other driver
the most and cause the most accidents as a result.

HID headlights are ten times worse against other drivers, (on dim)
than having standard headlights with the BRIGHTS turned ON.

In the early years I did see some cars that could blind you. I don't
know if they changed the aim, specifications, or something, but with
more HID lights on the road I don't see offenders as in the past.

I like the white light from them. I like the interior LED lights too.

I had a friend back in the 60's that replaced the high beam lamps in his car
with airplane landing lights. They lit things up really good.

They should make great high beams. The problem with most AC landing
lights is that they are only rated for 50 to 200 hours of operation.
They work great because they have a very narrow bright beam that
projects WAY down the road. I had some similar aftermarket 5" sealed
beam replacements years ago that worked great as high beams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We had a super driving light on the Renault rallye car - it was twice
as bright as a pair of super Oscars - when you turned that light on it
was like the sun came up, and 135 degrees of coverage laterally, with
a good distinct cutoff. Pulled the idle down a couple hundred RPM too.

Had 1 landing light in the high beam pod of the Cricket too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a friend who mounted a landing light under his rear bumper. when someone was following too close at night it got their attention

he also mounted a windshield washer pump to spray water out the front of his vehicle.

he sprayed people who j walked in front of him

On the real subject of lights i recently replace the lights and reflectors, since i was tired of de hazing the plastic lenses, this also solved the bad reflectors etc.

the supplier offers a 30 day refund policy... so i guess i have nothing to lose

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 10:09:17 PM UTC-6, bob haller wrote:
I had a friend who mounted a landing light under his rear bumper. when someone was following too close at night it got their attention

he also mounted a windshield washer pump to spray water out the front of his vehicle.

he sprayed people who j walked in front of him

On the real subject of lights i recently replace the lights and reflectors, since i was tired of de hazing the plastic lenses, this also solved the bad reflectors etc.

the supplier offers a 30 day refund policy... so i guess i have nothing to lose

Me an my brother filled the windshield washer reservoirs of our cars with transmission fluid then set it up to squirt the fluid into the carburetors of the running engines. When to fluid was squirted into the carb, big thick clouds of white smoke would come out of the tailpipe. I could drive through the parking lot of the Burgermack where the kids hung out and make the place disappear in a cloud of white smoke. When someone tailgated me on the highway, a thick stream of white smoke would make them back off. The both of us running side by side could make a 4 lane vanish in a white fog bank. We only did it once on an deserted stretch of rural highway because of safety concerns and it worked great! We were young mad scientists back then. We're older now and still quite mad. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Insane Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In the early 80s I switched round lights to round sealed beam halogen. The
beam was different but overall better. So many variations in beams on
various vehicles. My chevy truck kicks ass with light output, no arc lamps
there. Early days many added fog lamps, and many were misadjusted blinding
you. Some added driving lights. Many fog lamps failed to have proper
filament shield. Driving lights do not need filament shields.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 20:09:12 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

I had a friend who mounted a landing light under his rear bumper. when
someone was following too close at night it got their attention

Back in the 70s I knew a guy who used to pour an ounce or two of
automatic transmission fluid into his carburetor. He insisted it would
clean the engine. But the huge cloud of smoke coming out of the exhaust
pipe really ****ed off his neighbors, and once someone called the fire
dept. So he decided to add the fluid while he was driving on the
freeway. He rigged up a hose connected to a vacuum hose with a valve on
it, and that hose went into a can of tranny fluid. He'd just open that
valve while driving, the tranny fluid would get sucked into his engine,
and leave a huge cloud of smoke behind him.

One night I was in his car, and someone was tailgating him with their
bright lights turned on. He said "watch this" and flipped open that
valve. He left that guy in a cloud of smoke. That guy not only backed
off, but had to pull over on the shoulder of the road, because he could
not see anything. I later found out he sucked a full quart of tranny
fluid into his engine that night.

he also mounted a windshield washer pump to spray water out the front of his vehicle.

he sprayed people who j walked in front of him

Now that's funny

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.xenonpro.com/?gclid=CIWb7...FQoSHwodWegOzQ

prices have dropped dramatically

Unless theoptique is designed for the HID bulb being used it is
illegal

Cite? Federal or State?

both. look it up for yourself. Any modification to the headlight that
changes it's beam pattern or output (beyond a certain limit which
virtually all HID conversions excede) is against the DOT rules and
modt highway safety acts.

Nonsense.

There's commentary here http://tinyurl.com/omsfntc at Findlaw
agreeing with Clare. There's an article here http://tinyurl.com/q2ceak5
at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) talking about customs
agents seizing imports of them.

One paragraph from SEMA:

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is impounding illegal imports of
noncompliant high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits, light sources
and ballasts. The CBP is working with the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) to pursue enforcement. As reported by SEMA for a
number of years, the NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce
HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be
compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety
Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The NHTSA is specifically concerned that HID
conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 05:07 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is impounding illegal imports
of noncompliant high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits, light
sources and ballasts. The CBP is working with the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to pursue enforcement. As reported
by SEMA for a number of years, the NHTSA has determined that it is
impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system
to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard,
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The NHTSA is
specifically concerned that HID conversion kits can produce excessive
glare to oncoming motorists."

There are some very high output LED setups for motorcycles but they are
sold as driving lights, not a headlight conversion for the same reason,
and have disclaimers about only for off road use etc. If they weren't so
damn expensive I'd get a pair. On a bike, more light is more better when
you live where the deer and the antelope play.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:06:32 -0600, rbowman wrote:

[...]

I mounted a set of these on my windshield.
http://www.saeng.com/dproduct.php?id=634&category=60 or
http://tinyurl.com/o5gox7d
I have a switch mounted on the tank so I can easily shut them
off. I leave them on during the day. I read somewhere that it's
best to have lights in a triangle formation. They're supposedly
more noticeable that way. That's one strike against traditional
light bars.
I have a headlight modulator and wear yellow when riding. Helmets
are required here in Nebraska so I'll look pretty for my funeral.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2015 04:54 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I mounted a set of these on my windshield.
http://www.saeng.com/dproduct.php?id=634&category=60 or
http://tinyurl.com/o5gox7d
I have a switch mounted on the tank so I can easily shut them
off. I leave them on during the day. I read somewhere that it's
best to have lights in a triangle formation. They're supposedly
more noticeable that way. That's one strike against traditional
light bars.

They claim more lumens than the Denali DR2 LEDs and are cheaper. The one
advantage of the LEDs is they are 10w rather than 55. some bikes aren't
exactly powerhouses.

Headlights oscillating Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Home Repair 57 August 9th 15 08:43 PM
Headlights Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 22 April 8th 13 09:07 PM
foggy headlights Herb Eneva Home Repair 75 May 8th 12 03:41 PM
peugeot 206 headlights down tg[_5_] UK diy 12 January 25th 12 04:07 PM
cleaning car headlights Jules Richardson UK diy 28 October 26th 11 05:25 PM