Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Default Headlights oscillating

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:39:00 PM UTC-4, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wrote:
This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

check battery voltage with vehicle running at idle. it must be 13.8 volts
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Alternator generates AC current which is rectifiev by diodes bank.
Some times one diode goes bad(opens or short)
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 18:38:18 -0500, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
wrote:

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the
headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles
from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev
the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of
center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and
cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts
when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

It wouldn't be something silly like a loose belt by chance? I've
heard of
belts getting shiny and slick also. Does the heater fan do anything
unusual?

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 18:10:51 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Alternator generates AC current which is rectifiev by diodes bank.
Some times one diode goes bad(opens or short)

That is DEFINITELY not the issue, as the alternator is a (generally
anyway) 12 pole 3 phase devive, and is geares about 2:1 from the
crank, so at 500RPM idle would be turning about 1000RPM, making about
60Hz power (if my math is anywhere close to correct) so any cycling
would be in the 1/60th second range -a very high frequency flicker,
not a surge with a 1 second period.

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You wouldn't know until you see the problem with your own eyes.
There are many things one would not believe until one sees one
in person.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can be about 90%+ shure the alternator will need replacing within
a month or so, and the unsteady lights at idle will go away when the
alternator is replaced.
How many miles are on this beasty, and how old?? Is it the old
Aeroscare?

I had the same problem on my '89 - replaced the regulator - no joy.
Replaced the alternator - problem fixed.. I managed to pick up a good
recently replaced rebuild at the wreckers for $30 (about 20 years ago)
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 16:38:18 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Could be worn out/sticking brushes in the alternator.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep, the same one. About 140K miles. Is that something that can be checked out before installing a new one? They ain't cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem on my '89 - replaced the regulator - no joy.
Replaced the alternator - problem fixed.. I managed to pick up a good
recently replaced rebuild at the wreckers for $30 (about 20 years ago)

Yep, the same one. About 140K miles. Is that something that can be checked out before installing a new one? They ain't cheap.

check voltage at batery at idle, it should be 13.8 volts and solidly .......

probably a bad alternator

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 4 Aug 2015 16:38:18 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub
Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Do you have a tachometer? Does the RPM oscillate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery..

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Do you have a tachometer? Does the RPM oscillate?

I was wondering the same thing because many vehicles have an tiny idle speed motor which moves the throttle as needed like when the AC is switched on and the idle speed increases. I'd pull the air cleaner so I could see the throttle body to see if the throttle is being moved by the idle speed control motor. The engine control computer could be affected by a dirty mass air flow sensor which could cause the idle speed fluctuation. (¬¬)

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

I dont' think that had mass airflow sensors or ECCs when they had
regulators, but otherwise, a good idea.

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

Well heck, the OP did't mention the year and model of his vehicle. I just assumed it was built in this century. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Assuming Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster brought next idea :

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

It seems to have an Ampmeter and are you old enough to remember when
cars had them? :-Z

--
John G Sydney.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

My fuel injected SUV has an ammeter in the dashboard. ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°

[8~{} Uncle Amp Monster
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2015 10:59 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I had the same problem on my '89 - replaced the regulator - no joy.
Replaced the alternator - problem fixed.. I managed to pick up a good
recently replaced rebuild at the wreckers for $30 (about 20 years ago)

Yep, the same one. About 140K miles. Is that something that can be checked out before installing a new one? They ain't cheap.

In my part of the world, some Advance Auto Parts
And Battery have alternator testers. Some even
have a man who knows how to do the test.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Do you have a tachometer? Does the RPM oscillate?

RPM is steady. Oscillating lights happens at slow idle. If I increase idle speed just a little with accelerator, lights are steady.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

In my 90 Dodge van, the voltage regulator is built into the engine control computer. You haven't written what kind of vehicle you own. **

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can check to see if it is working - but it can be working and
still "surge". A good analog voltmeter connected to the output of the
alternator will show if the voltage is fluctuating.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

Even at steady RPM, the reguator relay goes in and out, but I really
don't know at what rates. IIRC a generator needs a regulator with 3
relays, and an alternator needs 2 relays.

One of the two limits how much current goes to the field winding, but
is that only for generators?

Do you have a wife with another car. I always wanted a wife with a
pickup truck, but I coudlnt' find one. What's the worst that can
happen, youll break down onthe way to work adn she'll have to pick you
up and take you to work and the car will sit there until you can get a
new alternator. Can you get one right away and replace it wherever the
car dies, or would you have to be towed?

What's the voltage of the alternator, while the lights oscillate.
While they say 13.6 is what it should put out, and maybe lightbulbs are
designed for that voltage, really anything over 12 6 should charge the
battery a little. Or say over 12.7. You said your ammeter shows
slight charging. If the alternator will to completely fail, you could
drive more than a day I'll bet if you have a fully charged battery.
Old cars start easily and cars don't need too much current to run.

I once drove from NYC to Chicago to Indianposlis to the Pa. Turnpike
near Pittsburgh. When I left NY, maybe by the time I got to Ohio or
earlier, the headlights were dim, but as I usually do, I igonred the
problem. The rest of the car ran well and most of my driving was in the
day time.**. I drove to Chicago and around there for 2 or 3 days, Indy
for a couple day, and just as I got to the big gas station near the
entirance to the Pa. Turnpike (after a trip of 1400+ miles.) the car
stalled and woudn't start. I opened the hood and the fan belt that
drove the alternatas literally hanging on by a thread. Of course a
fanbelt thread is thicker than sewing thread, maybe half a millimeter.

But the belt was no longer tight enugh to drive the alternator and I had
been running on the battery for at least a couple hundred miles, and
that was in the dark and again I'd noticed that the headlights weren't
very bright. But the road had been well marked and I coudl follow the
car in front of me, etc. . IIRC, I had a fan belt in my trunk, that I
had taken from a junk yard car like mine, and I put that on, and after I
got some food I got the gas station guy to come the 100 feet to my car
with his portable jumping thing, and I'm not even sure he charged me,
but he started me and I started driving east and charging the battery.
And that was the end of the story.

Now I was in my 20's and people our age don't live like this, but otoh,
if I were just drivign around town, and I had someone to come and get
me, even the number of a taxi-company. I'd still do it that way.
Because you don't yet know that the alternator is bad or that you'll
*have* to replace it before the car fails permanently for some other
reason.

In the old days the oil light would flicker on and off at idle and that
was normal, even though it's a lot more imporant that a few little light
bulbs.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure but to my long memory Alternators have had solidstate
regulators and no relays since they were invented. :-Z

--
John G Sydney.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK, will check it tonight. Yesterday while idling during the day, I noticed the ammeter oscillating. If I kicked the gas and released it, the oscillation stopped. Will check the belt also.

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

John G wrote in
:

\"Hub Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

alternators been around since the 60s so not always electronic volt
controls. KB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

Bingo, it could be his garden tractor.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 06 Aug 2015 16:26:00 +1000, John G
wrote:

I'm not sure but to my long memory Alternators have had solidstate
regulators and no relays since they were invented. :-Z

You're definitely wrong about that. Atlternators made their first
showing in large numbers maybe in 1965 or about then and all of them had
relay-based regulators, with two of them, for several years. Then some
had relay-less regulators within the alternators, but they made cars
with both styles for a while.

I guess I was forgetting sold-state regulators and assuming no matter
what year his car is, he had relays. My mistake. (I don't know if
they ever made external soldi-state regulators.)

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not sure but to my long memory Alternators have had solidstate
regulators and no relays since they were invented. :-Z

Maybe you were thinking about the diodes in the alternator**. If they
had had to depend on diode tubes, whether glass or metal, instead of
semi-conductor diodes, I don't think alternators would have been
possible.

**For the youngun's here, if there are any, generatos had a commutator
and generated DC current. Alternators had two rings for the two
brushes, no commutator, and generated alternating current, hence the
name, and used diodes to turn it into DC.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

There are no relays in toda's regulators. They are all electronic.
Some regulate the feild with a PWM, others just switch resistance like
the old relat type.

Generators needed to control maximum current as well as maximum
voltage, AND disconnect from the battery when not charging(cutout) so
the generator didn't "motor" and draw all the power out of the battery

[...]

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

[...]

Not quite since they were invented - but shortly after.
Alternators became standard in the early sixties, and Ford and GM were
still using electromechanical regulators on their alternator systems
up to 1978-79. Mazda still used some as late as at least 1981 and
Toyota untill 1986. Chrysler used then till about 1979.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not sure but to my long memory Alternators have had solidstate
regulators and no relays since they were invented. :-Z

You're definitely wrong about that. Atlternators made their first
showing in large numbers maybe in 1965 or about then and all of them had
relay-based regulators, with two of them, for several years. Then some
had relay-less regulators within the alternators, but they made cars
with both styles for a while.

I guess I was forgetting sold-state regulators and assuming no matter
what year his car is, he had relays. My mistake. (I don't know if
they ever made external soldi-state regulators.)

Chrysler Corp. vehicles had a transistorized voltage regulator on the firewall. They were pretty reliable. Here's a link to eBay that shows both mechanical and solid state regulators for older Mopar vehicles. My 89 Dodge pickup had the voltage regulator built into the engine control computer. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/nevufo8

[8~{} Uncle Mopar Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:21:25 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Maybe you were thinking about the diodes in the alternator**. If they
had had to depend on diode tubes, whether glass or metal, instead of
semi-conductor diodes, I don't think alternators would have been
possible.

My dad's radio in his '60 Caddy had tubes...great sound for the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:21:25 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Maybe you were thinking about the diodes in the alternator**. If they
had had to depend on diode tubes, whether glass or metal, instead of
semi-conductor diodes, I don't think alternators would have been
possible.

....and before silicon we had selenium: http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psxt2tpfbj.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression,uk.rec.driving

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights
on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to
slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine
slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center,
slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and
cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts
when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

I had the same problem with my eyes; they kept going round and round, like
the wheels on the bus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 8:22:35 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:21:25 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Maybe you were thinking about the diodes in the alternator**. If they
had had to depend on diode tubes, whether glass or metal, instead of
semi-conductor diodes, I don't think alternators would have been
possible.

...and before silicon we had selenium: http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psxt2tpfbj.jpg

That picture brings back memories. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Diod Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 9:26:27 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 8:22:35 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:21:25 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Maybe you were thinking about the diodes in the alternator**. If they
had had to depend on diode tubes, whether glass or metal, instead of
semi-conductor diodes, I don't think alternators would have been
possible.

...and before silicon we had selenium: http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psxt2tpfbj.jpg

That picture brings back memories. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Diode Monster

My dad had an RCA "beach radio" like this: http://www.tv-boxes.com/radios/rca-bp55.jpg
It had 2 large 6 volt batteries (carbon/zinc but motorcycle-sized) and one smaller 18 volt?
I thought you were a *hep-toad*? ༼ *ل͟ರೃ ༽
Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,alt.messianic

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 07:19:54 -0700, "Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of
Ladyboise, Idaho" wrote:

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights
on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to
slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine
slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center,
slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and
cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts
when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Yer alternator's greeked.

I had the same problem with my eyes; they kept going round and round, like
the wheels on the bus.

Just say NO to drugz, Coloon! LOLOK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:00:53 PM UTC-4, Tekkie wrote:
Bingo, it could be his garden tractor.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

In which case it might have neither a generator nor alternator, but instead a magneto.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 10:05:12 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 9:26:27 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 8:22:35 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:21:25 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Maybe you were thinking about the diodes in the alternator**. If they
had had to depend on diode tubes, whether glass or metal, instead of
semi-conductor diodes, I don't think alternators would have been
possible.

...and before silicon we had selenium: http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psxt2tpfbj.jpg

That picture brings back memories. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Diode Monster

My dad had an RCA "beach radio" like this: http://www.tv-boxes.com/radios/rca-bp55.jpg
It had 2 large 6 volt batteries (carbon/zinc but motorcycle-sized) and one smaller 18 volt?
I thought you were a *hep-toad*? ༼ *ل͟ರೃ ༽

Well, you're either referring to iNARTE or the fact that "heptoad" is an anagram of "pothead". I'm not associated with iNARTE and I can assure you that I'm not a pothead. In fact I've never smoked anything legal or illegal, I'm horribly allergic to the crap that people smoke. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

[8~{} Uncle Sneeze Monster
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Sorry if I missed it, but can an alternator be tested with a VOM?

Last time I had the auto parts place test one, they pinpointed the alternator. Bought it, had a mechanic check it out, also said it was the alternator, they replaced it and 2 weeks later same problem. Turned out to be bad connections. Big unnecessary expense.

Would rather TS it myself as much as I can.

Headlights Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 22 April 8th 13 09:07 PM
Porche headlights being stolen ! HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 2 November 4th 12 03:59 AM
foggy headlights Herb Eneva Home Repair 75 May 8th 12 03:41 PM
peugeot 206 headlights down tg[_5_] UK diy 12 January 25th 12 04:07 PM
cleaning car headlights Jules Richardson UK diy 28 October 26th 11 05:25 PM