Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair

Default Headlights oscillating

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 19:11:55 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 18:38:18 -0500, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
wrote:

This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the
headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles
from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev
the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of
center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and
cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts
when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

It wouldn't be something silly like a loose belt by chance? I've
heard of
belts getting shiny and slick also. Does the heater fan do anything
unusual?

You can be about 90%+ shure the alternator will need replacing within
a month or so, and the unsteady lights at idle will go away when the
alternator is replaced.
How many miles are on this beasty, and how old?? Is it the old
Aeroscare?

I had the same problem on my '89 - replaced the regulator - no joy.
Replaced the alternator - problem fixed.. I managed to pick up a good
recently replaced rebuild at the wreckers for $30 (about 20 years ago)