Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light bulbs

On 11/25/2015 6:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

Move someplace sunnier! :

(seriously)

When I moved here (S.Az), I saw a sign in the airport claiming
"360 days of sunshine/yr" and laughed. "Yeah, sure". I've since
learned that it is pretty close to the truth! So much so that
cloudy/overcast days are REALLY noticeable!

hmmm retirement is creeping up soon, so, who knows?

Prior to coming here, I would have never realized how dramatic the
difference! Most other places I've lived had entire *seasons*
that were overcast, cold, wet, etc. And, you thought nothing of
it -- "Oh, it's October..."

Here, I get noticeably irritable if it remains overcast for a
single *day*!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2015 8:01 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 11/25/2015 6:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

Move someplace sunnier! :

(seriously)

When I moved here (S.Az), I saw a sign in the airport claiming
"360 days of sunshine/yr" and laughed. "Yeah, sure". I've since
learned that it is pretty close to the truth! So much so that
cloudy/overcast days are REALLY noticeable!

hmmm retirement is creeping up soon, so, who knows?

Prior to coming here, I would have never realized how dramatic the
difference! Most other places I've lived had entire *seasons*
that were overcast, cold, wet, etc. And, you thought nothing of
it -- "Oh, it's October..."

Here, I get noticeably irritable if it remains overcast for a
single *day*!

I feel better when I'm in the light, so, making my bathroom into a plant
room that I can light up for pennies is kind of nice.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:56:47 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:23:08 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:24:18 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 11/24/2015 6:39 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:59:28 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

We've been moving from using the incandescent light bulbs to using LED
bulbs over the last few months. I was wondering if the socket says to
use a 60W bulb, can I replace it with an LED bulb that is technically a
replacement for a 75W bulb when in reality it only draws the equivalent
of 13.5W?

Or do I need to stick with finding a replacement LED for 60W
(specifically) that technically only uses 4W?

There's so many choices of LED bulbs, and then there's soft white, warm
light, natural light, etc. It seems the natural LED light bulbs are the
hardest to find.
It's not the light output that limits the wattage a lamp is limited
to, it's the heat - which is a function of real watts. You could put a
blinding 60 watt LED in if you could find one - equivalent to well
over 240 watts in light output (;umens)

I thought I bought the 60W LED replacement bulb, but ended up buying a
75W LED. I guess they were sitting next to each other. Anyway, I ended
up buying the 75W when I thought I was buying a 60W. It has 1350 lumens
according to the package. So, according to what I've read in a couple
other responses, I should be OK using the 75W LED replacement bulb in
the 60W socket because the 75W bulb still uses less wattage (14W), right?

You should be fine. The biggest issue with the 75w equivalent is size.
I have seen some "60w only" pendant lights that would not hold the 75w
CFL.

I've seen 60 watt ceiling fixtures that wouldn't hols a 40 watt
equivalent cfl. without changing to a longer glass.

I've been seeing a therapist to enable me to accept CFL's in place of
real light bulbs.

Last week I asked him about teaching me to accept LEDs and he said
we'd have to start at the beginning again. I feel like I've wasted 2
years and all that money for therapy. (Insurance won't pay.)

Is there some adapter I could get that would enable my acceptance of
CFLs to be converted to acceptance of LEDs? Either an electrcric or
an alphabetic adapter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:24:18 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The real problem with all of the alternatives is they really only do
well with a very narrow range of light wavelengths. The incandescent
is a wide band emitter, all the way from infra red to the UV. It will
always be closer to sunlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2015 9:01 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 11/25/2015 6:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

Move someplace sunnier! :

(seriously)

When I moved here (S.Az), I saw a sign in the airport claiming
"360 days of sunshine/yr" and laughed. "Yeah, sure". I've since
learned that it is pretty close to the truth! So much so that
cloudy/overcast days are REALLY noticeable!

hmmm retirement is creeping up soon, so, who knows?

Prior to coming here, I would have never realized how dramatic the
difference! Most other places I've lived had entire *seasons*
that were overcast, cold, wet, etc. And, you thought nothing of
it -- "Oh, it's October..."

Here, I get noticeably irritable if it remains overcast for a
single *day*!

Western New York is cloudy more like 250 days of
the year. Wonder if that explains a few things?

Very, very possible.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 07:26:23 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

Might explain your dark view of the world, eh??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 11/25/2015 4:32 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/25/2015 3:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/25/2015 11:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

Hi,
That 75W refers to Lumen 75W bulb will produce, I don't think it
refers
to power rating in case of LED. I understand it as bright as 75W bulb.
You already have answer to your on question. My house is all converted
to LED including every thing in the garage. except ones in fridge and
oven.

Well, I recently wanted to replace a bulb in my bathroom. The light
socket had been labeled as 60W, so I found a GE bulb LED replacement,
bought it, and put it in. I just realized that I bought a 75W
replacement LED daylight bulb and says it uses 14W, and it says it's
lumens is 1350.

I can take it back and buy the 60W replacement LED bulb, but do I
really
need to because the 75W replacement says it only uses 14W, which isn't
even close to the 60W the socket is labeled as?

Enjoy the extra light. You are using only 14 watts. The factor in the
rating of the fixture is based on the heat output of the bulb and you
are putting out far less with the LED.

For years we use watts for rating bulbs, but in reality, lumen is what
counts for brightness. That is how you can compare the given light of
incandescent, fluorescent, and LED.

We also like the daylight type bulb too.

I sure do love the extra daylight from that bulb with so many cloudy
days in the fall and winter.

Move someplace sunnier! :

(seriously)

When I moved here (S.Az), I saw a sign in the airport claiming
"360 days of sunshine/yr" and laughed. "Yeah, sure". I've since
learned that it is pretty close to the truth! So much so that
cloudy/overcast days are REALLY noticeable!

When I used to go down there for training or to take a part in designing
new product line, often guys told me to move there saying
shoveling sun shine is easier than snow... Now glbal warming is
giving us favor. Have not started snow blower in years. Today it is
sunny 5C, perfect to finish hanging lights out side. In Canada
Alberta is the most sunny province year round.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 11/25/2015 7:23 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

If you like bugs, critters..., LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 11/25/2015 7:50 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:59:28 -0600, Muggles wrote
in

We've been moving from using the incandescent light bulbs to using LED
bulbs over the last few months. I was wondering if the socket says to
use a 60W bulb, can I replace it with an LED bulb that is technically a
replacement for a 75W bulb when in reality it only draws the equivalent
of 13.5W?

Or do I need to stick with finding a replacement LED for 60W
(specifically) that technically only uses 4W?

There's so many choices of LED bulbs, and then there's soft white, warm
light, natural light, etc. It seems the natural LED light bulbs are the
hardest to find.

When the socket limits the bulb used to 60watts, that means the socket
itself and the fixture it is in, have been designed to handle a
maximum of 60w of thermal load. A CFL or LED that is rated at 13.5w
will be fine if it physically fits in the fixture.

That ignores the fact that there is something that turns the lamp on and
off.

Do you think you could put **600** of those "60W light equivalent" lamps
on a 20A circuit (2400W)?

Most loads have inductive reactance. Z=2*pi*f*L

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2015 9:57 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
[...]

I actually much prefer the summers, here, than the winters *anywhere*.
The summers in Chicago, Denver, Boston, etc. were all *miserable*;
hot and humid. You couldn't go outside without expecting to take
a shower WHILE THERE!

Spring and Fall were always dreary and wet. The kind of cold
that seems to go straight through to your bones.

You end up with a *day* in Spring -- and another in Fall -- where things
are "very nice" (I used to joke that "Spring will be on a Wednesday, this
year").

By contrast, our Summers are hot and dry. But, you only tend to notice
it if you are *in* the sun. I hauled 20 tons of crushed stone into the
back yard with a wheelbarrow one day with 117F degree temperatures...
and felt nowhere near as bad as I would have on that same day in
Chitown (when it was probably 80F with an RH of 60+%!).

[Trick is you have to consciously remember to drink lots of fluids!
A pint every 20 MINUTES -- almost half a gallon/hour -- lest you
become dehydrated. As its so dry, you "never perspire" (of course
you do -- but it works as evaporative cooling and leaves you DRY,
instead of acting as a poorly designed BATHING SYSTEM that just
leaves you wet and sticky!). It is very disconcerting to drink
all that water and *not* have to pee!]

Nights in Summer may drop to 80 or 90F -- and you'll see folks
wearing light sweaters (it actually *is* "cool").

Fall, Winter and Spring are delightful, here. I only wear a
jacket when I am out in the wee hours of the morning for those
unusual nights when temperatures drop below freezing (we had
a few consecutive nights in the high teens a couple of years
ago) and I opt to spray the citrus trees with a fine mist to
protect them from the cold (they start to get upset at ~28F).
Having that 60F water blown back in your face at 20F is not
a comfortable feeling (sort of like blowing snow and having
to put up with all *that* airborn cold water!)

Our "bad" season is Monsoon (we have 5 seasons) -- when the
humidity creeps up and the temperatures don't fall *enough*
to compensate. OTOH, the storms are a delightful consolation
prize! When I first came here, I used to think folks were
"weird" cuz they'd all stop what they were doing and watch
it rain (WTF??). I now include myself in that crowd and
marvel at how much water comes down in such a short amount of
time -- then, how quickly it clears up afterwards.

[Downside is weeds will grow almost overnight! Upside is you
can pull them easily when soil is that wet.]

If we could keep all the "visitors" away, it would be very nice!
One advantage to Summer & Monsoon is they're all back up north
sitting in their air conditioned homes (because they can't tolerate
the heat/humidity *there*, either! : )

As to your 5C... cold here today -- 62F (17C?) -- but that's about as
cold as we'll typically see in daylight hours for most of the "Winter".
Our Vancouver BC neighbors have obviously decided it worth purchasing
a second home, here, to get away from the PNW dreariness...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

We have Chinook wind in winter, maybe you experienced it in CO? Year
round humidity is on the dry side. In winter indoor humidity can be
negative, without humidifier one's nose can bleed. I just don't like all
the bugs and critters in warm climate. But wife being a serious green
thumb, misses all the flowers, shrubs growing down there. I
guess home is where you are no matter what. Also oriental custom does
not like moving around. Some even says if one leaves home town he can't
go to heaven, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:24:18 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you are not taking enough vitamin D3 pills daily. You can
take 6000iu every day in winter. Very important, again very important!!!
What is your D level in your blood test? 80 Mols at least. If not do
something. Also use day light bulbs in living space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2015 10:58 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

Well, I don't like spider or snakes...

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2015 11:24 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

As to your 5C... cold here today -- 62F (17C?) -- but that's about as
cold as we'll typically see in daylight hours for most of the "Winter".
Our Vancouver BC neighbors have obviously decided it worth purchasing
a second home, here, to get away from the PNW dreariness...

We have Chinook wind in winter, maybe you experienced it in CO?

I found wind in Chicago to be the most debilitating. I was clearing
the ice off a rental car at the airport with temps of -26F and a wind
chill of -83F. When the weather forecasters start talking in terms
of "exposed flesh warnings" (in *minutes*!), you know it's cold!

Downtown, the lake keeps things a bit warmer. OTOH, the "canyons"
made by the taller buildings funnel the wind down the streets in
a surreal fashion.

Year round
humidity is on the dry side. In winter indoor humidity can be
negative, without humidifier one's nose can bleed. I just don't like all the
bugs and critters in warm climate.

I like sleeping on the floor (hard surface). But, won't dare since
moving here! Black Widows aren't a problem (indoors) as they want
webs to "borrow" (unless you're a sloppy housekeeper). But, can
be a concern if you're rummaging around through piles of lawn/gardening
equipment that you've stored on the porch, etc.

Wolf spiders are intimidating but, usually, pretty harmless. You'd have
to be blind not to see one (and accidentally provoke it). Tarantulas
are similarly shy -- and I've never seen one indoors.

Scorpions are the biggest "pest". They seem to find ways to get
through cement walls!! OTOH, depriving them of their foodstuffs
does a lot to keep them away (when we removed the lawn, the number
of scorpions fell dramatically!).

Wildlife is a bigger problem as many are physically large (coyote,
javelina, bobcat, bear) and "get their way" in a confrontation.
I worry for SWMBO's safety when she's hiking in the desert (nat'l
park). OTOH, we've had bob cat, javelina, coyote and even bear
in the *neighborhood*.

But wife being a serious green thumb, misses
all the flowers, shrubs growing down there. I

Yeah, our front "lawn" is a carpet of wildflowers. Presently blue bells
and poppies (I've been aggressively trying to get rid of the lupines
as they take a lot of time to maintain).

The downside for folks like me (seasonal allergies) is there is
ALWAYS something in bloom to irritate! There are times of the year
when cars will be covered in yellow pollen. Or, you'll look
out the window and see "puffs of smoke" -- which are actually pollen
releases.

guess home is where you are no matter what.

Exactly. There are good and bad things everywhere. I miss the
"opportunities" of New England -- but not the weather, arrogance,
traffic, etc. I miss Chicago pizza -- but not the flatness of
the landscape, bitter cold, monotony of culture, etc. I suspect
I will (eventually) miss things from here...

Also oriental custom does
not like moving around. Some even says if one leaves home town he can't
go to heaven, LOL!

Ah, well... I'm screwed. Good thing I don't believe in Heaven! :
I figure I've got maybe two more moves left in me, time permitting...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2015 12:29 PM, Muggles wrote:

When I moved here (S.Az), I saw a sign in the airport claiming
"360 days of sunshine/yr" and laughed. "Yeah, sure". I've since
learned that it is pretty close to the truth! So much so that
cloudy/overcast days are REALLY noticeable!

hmmm retirement is creeping up soon, so, who knows?

If you like bugs, critters..., LOL!

Well, I don't like spider or snakes...

Both are relatively easy to avoid. Scorpions are more of a problem;
sort of like bees elsewhere. Some people have bad reactions to their
sting; others barely notice it.

OTOH, seeing real roadrunners is truly entertaining; it's hard NOT
to go "beep-beep" when you see one! And birds of prey are absolutely
magnificent "floating" overhead. Amazing to think they can actually *see*
small critters from that height!

Woodpeckers are a pest. Apparently "protected" else they'd be
EXTINCT (from angry/annoyed homeowners).

And watching hummingbirds is easily far more entertaining than
folks who will stare at a "fish tank"! They actually will come
up to the kitchen window to "complain" if we've not put the feeder
out, yet (despite the fact that the yard always has *something*
in bloom -- deliberately chosen for THEIR benefit -- from which they
could feed). And, will "buzz" your head while you're setting it
out (you can actually hear their wings beating) as if to say,
"OK, leave it here and now GO AWAY so I can eat!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2015 1:59 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I love birds, and most animals, but many biting insects, and spiders I
could do without!

And watching hummingbirds is easily far more entertaining than
folks who will stare at a "fish tank"! They actually will come
up to the kitchen window to "complain" if we've not put the feeder
out, yet (despite the fact that the yard always has *something*
in bloom -- deliberately chosen for THEIR benefit -- from which they
could feed). And, will "buzz" your head while you're setting it
out (you can actually hear their wings beating) as if to say,
"OK, leave it here and now GO AWAY so I can eat!"

Love to watch the hummingbirds, too. A couple summers ago a young blue
jay had a broken beak and was having a hard time eating, so it started
cheeping loudly every time I came outside. I eventually had it sitting
on my knew while I fed it mashed bread soaked in water. That went on
for a couple of weeks. I'd get home from running errands, and go in the
back yard and call "blue jay!!" and it would just show up for it's meal.
After about the 3rd week of doing that it just didn't show up for it's
meal one day, but I saw it flying about the yard as if to say, "thanks!
I'm ok now."

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:51:20 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I found wind in Chicago to be the most debilitating. I was clearing
the ice off a rental car at the airport with temps of -26F and a wind
chill of -83F. When the weather forecasters start talking in terms
of "exposed flesh warnings" (in *minutes*!), you know it's cold!

That only happened once. If it wasn't for events like that, I'd have
no memories of certain years. Not that I'd want a repeat.
I enjoy the change of seasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I found wind in Chicago to be the most debilitating. I was clearing
the ice off a rental car at the airport with temps of -26F and a wind
chill of -83F. When the weather forecasters start talking in terms
of "exposed flesh warnings" (in *minutes*!), you know it's cold!

That only happened once.

And it was only 117F here, once. :

I recall waiting on a street corner many years earlier (didn't live there
at the time) for a friend (who lived on LSD) to pick me up. Got into his
car and stuffed my fingers *into* the heater duct by the floorboard...

If it wasn't for events like that, I'd have
no memories of certain years. Not that I'd want a repeat.
I enjoy the change of seasons.

I enjoyed the change of seasons -- and good apples! But, I could arrange
to spend my time indoors if the weather was inclement (and watch out the
window as all my neighbors fought with the rain and snow). That wasn't
true of most folks who had to contend with dragging themselves off to
work, etc.

Now, I like the fact that I can go for a walk damn near any time of day
and any day of the year -- just by opening the front door. I don't have
to plan on what-ifs -- in case it chooses to rain/snow/etc. Worst case,
a sudden storm will come up and drench me in the course of a block or two.
But, it won't be that numbing cold rain. Rather, something warm.

And, there's so much more "going on" as the weather draws people and
activities that would be too hard to plan for, elsewhere ("Will it rain
and ruin our event?"). Two weeks back, a neighbor had a birthday party
(outdoors) 'til the wee hours of the morning -- though I think only the
brave/foolish went into the pool!

Ten days ago I was out watching shooting stars at 4AM. Would you try that
in Chicago (assuming you *could* see the sky!) in mid November? Next event
will be in mid February...
Posted to alt.home.repair

cob grow lights from cobgrowlights nice bright purple/pink. Good for your skin I heard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We've been moving from using the incandescent light bulbs to using LED
bulbs over the last few months. I was wondering if the socket says to
use a 60W bulb, can I replace it with an LED bulb that is technically a
replacement for a 75W bulb when in reality it only draws the equivalent
of 13.5W?

Or do I need to stick with finding a replacement LED for 60W
(specifically) that technically only uses 4W?

There's so many choices of LED bulbs, and then there's soft white, warm
light, natural light, etc. It seems the natural LED light bulbs are the
hardest to find.

The reason the socket is listed as max 60 watts is to limit both the
heat it gets from the bulb and the current that has to go thru the
socket. So all that matters is the replacement bulb is no hotter and
that it draws no more current then the incandescent bulb did. So it's
safe to look at the actual watt draw of CFL and LED to make your
decision. Even the brightest CFLS and LEDs for home use will draw
less then 60 watts so you can use pretty much anything you want that
you can screw in the socket.