Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light bulbs

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they’re not sold here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better
than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they¹re not sold here?

because people like krwless think energy conservation is a plot by
communists to sap the will of the American public to pay for high energy
prices
Senior Member

The will of the American consumer to pay high prices for energy will never be sapped!

But...

Several possible reasons. Osram is a European company, and in Europe they use 50 Hz power. It could very well be that they rolled out their European version of these bulbs first, and the North American version is still in development.

Also, in order for any electrical product to be sold in the USA, it has to be UL approved. To be sold in Canada, it has to be CSA approved. It could be that it just takes time to get that approval. Or, if the folks at UL wanted some modifications made to the bulbs to set aside possible safety concerns, it might be taking the manufacturer time to make those changes.

Osram is a well established lighting manufacturer headquartered in Germany, and it purchased Sylvania in 1993. In North America the Osram Sylvania merger sells it's products under the Sylvania name. Osram sells it's products in the rest of the world under it's own name.
Osram Sylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really don't see anything very different about these Osram bulbs than the LED, CFL and halogen bulbs available from GE and Phillips, but if Osram is selling them in Europe, you can be reasonably sure that they'll soon start showing up in North America under the Sylvania brand name.

Last edited by nestork : November 23rd 13 at 06:04 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

nothing must be UL approved to be sold in the US, non approved products are sold all of the time. its voluntary...

50 hertz may not matter, lots of products are universal, its more important the voltages match, at least somewhat close
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:16:01 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:31:08 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they’re not sold here?

Osram is Sylvania here

Is it incognito?

Posted to alt.home.repair

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better
than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they’re not sold here?

*The two electrical supply companies that I mostly deal with are Sylvania
distributors. They can get me any product made by Osram Sylvania, however
for some items I would need to buy a full case.

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produc...s/default.aspx

There is a tremendous variety of bulbs available for sale by several
different manufacturers. Your local retailer mostly sells products that
move quickly off the shelves and low pricing is a driving force behind that
movement. Companies that stock inventory that doesn't move must pay an
inventory tax each year on whatever is on their shelves. This is part of
the reason why replacement parts for various things are expensive. Over the
years I have witnessed supply houses throwing out brand new merchandise
because it was sitting on the shelf for years and they would have to pay tax
on the same stuff year after year. I don't think a local retailer wants to
bet that consumers are willing to pay a higher price for a superior product
when the big box store down the road has a similar product for much less
money.

You might try searching online to find a web site that sells what you are
after. Many of those sites sell products that ship directly from the
manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:78bf5350-5855-4969-8c9f-2cc0248fa1a0
@googlegroups.com:

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better than the Chinese

garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they’re not sold here?

They are; you just haven't found them yet.

Google "A19 CFL". Sears sells them, and Home Depot and Lowe's sell the GE version. Pretty
sure I've seen the Osram/Sylvania bulbs on the shelf at Menards, too, but can't find it on their
website.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:08:20 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in news:78bf5350-5855-4969-8c9f-2cc0248fa1a0

@googlegroups.com:

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better than the Chinese

garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they�re not sold here?

They are; you just haven't found them yet.

Google "A19 CFL". Sears sells them, and Home Depot and Lowe's sell the GE version. Pretty

sure I've seen the Osram/Sylvania bulbs on the shelf at Menards, too, but can't find it on their

website.

That's what I was going to say too. I know I've bought Osram bulbs before.
If you google for it, you'll find them being sold online in the USA.
Not sure what specific product mix they sell here, and they may not be
that common, but there are definitely Osram products sold in the USA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2013 3:30 AM, bob haller wrote:
nothing must be UL approved to be sold in the US, non approved products are sold all of the time. its voluntary...

50 hertz may not matter, lots of products are universal, its more important the voltages match, at least somewhat close

What he said +1

--
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:52:37 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better
than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they¹re not sold here?

because people like krwless think energy conservation is a plot by
communists to sap the will of the American public to pay for high energy
prices

We know that all you can do is lie, Malformed. You don't have to
continue to prove that you're a lefty. We got it, long ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 06:57:27 +0100, nestork
wrote:

The will of the American consumer to pay high prices for energy will
never be sapped!

But...

Several possible reasons. Osram is a European company, and in Europe
they use 50 Hz power. It could very well be that they rolled out their
European version of these bulbs first, and the North American version is
still in development.

Also, in order for any electrical product to be sold in the USA, it has
to be UL approved.

Wrong. There is no such law. Anywhere. UL is a private company and
as such it has no special standing in law.

As far as (safety and otherwise) testing labs go, TUV and Intertek
(a.k.a. ETL) are large competitors of UL.

Canuckistani stuff snipped
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2013 10:31 PM, wrote:
While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much
better than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable
and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they’re not sold here?

I've bought Osram bulbs for years and the bulbs may be re-branded as
Sylvania now. The frequency of the power supplied to an incandescent
matters not as long as the voltage is what the bulb calls for. A bulb
in Europe is usually designed for 220 volts. The only problem I've run
across with a European bulb with a screw in base similar to a North
American Edison base is that the European screw base is metric and may
not fit in an American fixture. I ran across this years ago when the
contracting company I was working for had some housing units that were
built in Australia. The standard Edison base American bulb wouldn't
quite fit the Australia light fixtures, the American bulb base was
slightly larger than the Australia socket and difficult if not
impossible to get the bulb to screw in. I remember that we replaced the
light sockets with American manufactured ones. Anyway, you may find any
bulb you need at Light Bulb Depot. ^_^

http://www.lightbulbdepot.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:52:37 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better
than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they¹re not sold here?

because people like krwless think energy conservation is a plot by
communists to sap the will of the American public to pay for high energy
prices

We know that all you can do is lie, Malformed. You don't have to
continue to prove that you're a lefty. We got it, long ago.

did you get your daily email blast from stormfront.org today?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 12:22:37 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:52:37 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better
than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why they¹re not sold here?

because people like krwless think energy conservation is a plot by
communists to sap the will of the American public to pay for high energy
prices

We know that all you can do is lie, Malformed. You don't have to
continue to prove that you're a lefty. We got it, long ago.

did you get your daily email blast from stormfront.org today?

The only thing dumber than IKWYABWAI is a IKWYABWAI lie. It's no
surprise that you'd go there. You are a lefty, after all. That's
about as stupid as one can get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better
than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why theyre not sold here?

----

There are more screw-in household light bulb choices than ever before for
sale right now including bulbs using incandescent, halogen-incandescent,
compact fluorescent and LED technolgoy. Everything on the Osram web site
you referenced is available in North America in the same or slightly
different form taking into account the difference in mains voltage. Take a
look at www.lumennow.org it has links to all the major bulb manufacturers
including OSRAM SYLVANIA (Look at the list under "Who is Part of LUMEN?"
"Sylvania" is a brand of OSRAM SYLVANIA.

It's interesting to see what kind of bulbs that consumers do buy. One of
the bulb types growing in popularity right now is the "antique" bulb with a
glowing filament. It's much less efficient at generating light than a
standard incandescent bulb; but apparently has a look that consumers like.
Look at the choices at: http://alturl.com/eo7fp

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2013 05:05 PM, = wrote:
wrote in message
While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better
than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...ts-new--gb.pdf

Anyone have any idea why theyre not sold here?

----

There are more screw-in household light bulb choices than ever before for
sale right now including bulbs using incandescent, halogen-incandescent,
compact fluorescent and LED technolgoy.

snip

yes and no. There are more choices, but very few "energy saving"
choices that aren't prohibitively expensive that have a CRI
significantly over 80. Only one I can think of off the top of my head
that's currently available is the Cree "true white" which apparently is
only marketed in CA (but you can order it through Home Depot's web
portal.) The other obvious choice would have been the Philips L-Prize,
but it *was* prohibitively expensive at list price, and was discontinued
almost as soon as Philips cashed the prize money apparently. If you
were lucky enough to live near a Home Depot that stocked L-Prizes and
sold them at a local utility subsidized rate, I hope you bought a few.

I have seen a few LED modules for can lights that also fit the above
requirements, but that's only helpful if you actually have/use can lights.

It's interesting to see what kind of bulbs that consumers do buy. One of
the bulb types growing in popularity right now is the "antique" bulb with a
glowing filament. It's much less efficient at generating light than a
standard incandescent bulb; but apparently has a look that consumers like.
Look at the choices at: http://alturl.com/eo7fp

Not hard to understand. The appearance appeals to some people, and they
can't help but have better color rendering than any non-incandescent bulb.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 12:22:37 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:52:37 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

http://www.osram.com/media/resource/...tts-new--gb.pd

Anyone have any idea why they¹re not sold here?

because people like krwless think energy conservation is a plot by
communists to sap the will of the American public to pay for high energy
prices

We know that all you can do is lie, Malformed. You don't have to
continue to prove that you're a lefty. We got it, long ago.

did you get your daily email blast from stormfront.org today?

The only thing dumber than IKWYABWAI is a IKWYABWAI lie.

so why do you do that?

It's no
surprise that you'd go there. You are a lefty, after all. That's
about as stupid as one can get.

don't keep selling yourself so short