Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default I Need Some Light Bulbs !!!!!

The local church that I attend have asked me to try and find a bulb supplier
in the UK preferably, who can supply some 120V 7.5W (7 point 5 W) Screw-In
bulbs which are used to illuminate the foot pedal keys on the Allen organ.

I have looked at that many websites, I feel that I am going dizzy.

Could anyone possibly help with some information lease ?

With kindest regards,

James

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct, 13:14, "the_constructor"
wrote:
The local church that I attend have asked me to try and find a bulb supplier
in the UK preferably, who can supply some 120V 7.5W (7 point 5 W) Screw-In
bulbs which are used to illuminate the foot pedal keys on the Allen organ.

I have looked at that many websites, I feel that I am going dizzy.

Could anyone possibly help with some information lease ?

With kindest regards,

James

What size screw base?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_...d_applications
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Could try the UK distributor? Chances are they will know where to source in
the UK if available?

http://www.allenorgans.co.uk

"the_constructor" wrote in message
The local church that I attend have asked me to try and find a bulb
supplier in the UK preferably, who can supply some 120V 7.5W (7 point 5 W)
Screw-In bulbs which are used to illuminate the foot pedal keys on the
Allen organ.

I have looked at that many websites, I feel that I am going dizzy.

Could anyone possibly help with some information lease ?

With kindest regards,

James

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2010 13:14, the_constructor wrote:
The local church that I attend have asked me to try and find a bulb supplier
in the UK preferably, who can supply some 120V 7.5W (7 point 5 W) Screw-In
bulbs which are used to illuminate the foot pedal keys on the Allen organ.

I have looked at that many websites, I feel that I am going dizzy.

Could anyone possibly help with some information lease ?

With kindest regards,

James

Does the church have a maintenance contract for the organ? If so, you
should be able to get failed bulbs replaced under that.

Otherwise, have you contacted the Allen Organ people?
http://www.allenorgans.co.uk/index.php?page=about-us
They claim to keep spare parts for all Allen organs made since 1937.

Failing that, you may be able to re-wire the lights to connect to the
incoming mains rather than to the 120v transformer, and then use 240v bulbs.

[Since the organs are made in the USA, everything is designed round
110/120v, and they use a step-down transformer for Europe. The church I
used to attend has one - which I was instrumental (sorry!) in acquiring
for them, and the transformer causes fun and games at PAT testing time
because it's connected straight across the mains even when the main
switch on the console is off!]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Oct 25, 5:51*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Might be better to run low v to the holders instead, and make up LED
clusters. You get 50,000 hour lights that way.

NT

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Oct 25, 1:14*pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
The local church that I attend have asked me to try and find a bulb supplier
in the UK preferably, who can supply some 120V 7.5W (7 point 5 W) Screw-In
bulbs which are used to illuminate the foot pedal keys on the Allen organ..

I have looked at that many websites, I feel that I am going dizzy.

Could anyone possibly help with some information lease ?

With kindest regards,

James

I see you haven't got much help yet.

What's the diameter of the thread on the bulbs concerned? 7.5w
suggests candelabra base (12mm) lamps, often used to illuminate the
translucent base of table lamps in the US. Give us an idea of the
overall shape and dimensions and the base dimensions. If my guess is
right, then if you've any problems ordering from the USA, an E11 base
with a 230 volt 15 watt rating will probably fit OK and be available
here and give the same sort of illumination level. Also last forever
at that sort of downrating.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It would be way too dim.

NT
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2010 2:12 p.m., Tabby wrote:

What's the diameter of the thread on the bulbs concerned? 7.5w
suggests candelabra base (12mm) lamps, often used to illuminate the
translucent base of table lamps in the US. Give us an idea of the
overall shape and dimensions and the base dimensions. If my guess is
right, then if you've any problems ordering from the USA, an E11 base
with a 230 volt 15 watt rating will probably fit OK and be available
here and give the same sort of illumination level. Also last forever
at that sort of downrating.

It would be way too dim.

Right, he wants 230v 30w.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 6:17*am, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 29/10/2010 2:12 p.m., Tabby wrote:

What's the diameter of the thread on the bulbs concerned? *7.5w
suggests candelabra base (12mm) lamps, often used to illuminate the
translucent base of table lamps in the US. *Give us an idea of the
overall shape and dimensions and the base dimensions. *If my guess is
right, then if you've any problems ordering from the USA, an E11 base
with a 230 volt 15 watt rating will probably fit OK and be available
here and give the same sort of illumination level. *Also last forever
at that sort of downrating.

It would be way too dim.

Right, he wants 230v 30w.

Any 230/240v filament bulb on 110v would be way way down on efficacy,
and be no use.

NT
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2010 8:46 p.m., Tabby wrote:
On Oct 29, 6:17 am, Gib wrote:
On 29/10/2010 2:12 p.m., Tabby wrote:

What's the diameter of the thread on the bulbs concerned? 7.5w
suggests candelabra base (12mm) lamps, often used to illuminate the
translucent base of table lamps in the US. Give us an idea of the
overall shape and dimensions and the base dimensions. If my guess is
right, then if you've any problems ordering from the USA, an E11 base
with a 230 volt 15 watt rating will probably fit OK and be available
here and give the same sort of illumination level. Also last forever
at that sort of downrating.

It would be way too dim.

Right, he wants 230v 30w.

Any 230/240v filament bulb on 110v would be way way down on efficacy,
and be no use.

I'm assuming that the filament resistance is constant, in which case the power
draw for a 230v 30w bulb on 120v would be about 7.5w. Am I missing something?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 6:17 am, Gib *wrote:
[...]

R varies over a ratio of 8:1 for typical filament bulbs. But more
important is the filament temperature. When one is underrun, filament
temp falls, and efficacy plummets fast & hard. The result would be
more a glow.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 6:17 am, Gib wrote:
[...]

yes. Thermal coefficient of resistivity.

Current will in fact be a lot higher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 6:17 am, Gib wrote:
[...]

Correct. decent heater, not much light.

NT

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
The local church that I attend have asked me to try and find a bulb
supplier in the UK preferably, who can supply some 120V 7.5W (7 point
5 W) Screw-In bulbs which are used to illuminate the foot pedal keys
on the Allen organ.
I have looked at that many websites, I feel that I am going dizzy.

Could anyone possibly help with some information lease ?

With kindest regards,

James

Might it be easier to fit a transformer to the lighting circuit and fit 240V
bulbs? It would certainly make things easier in the future.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2010 11:57 p.m., Tim Streater wrote:

yes. Thermal coefficient of resistivity.

Current will in fact be a lot higher.

Plus the fact that even for a tungsten blub run normally, the energy peak is in
the infra-red, below the visible range. Under-running just shifts the peak
further down.

Let's see if I understand this correctly. Even if the bulb did dissipate 7.5w
at 120v (and presumably the power would be lower than that, because the filament
resistance would be higher than when the bulb is used with 230v), this would
give a filament temperature much lower than when the bulb is dissipating 30w,
causing more radiation to be emitted in the non-visible range (infra-red). So
it seems I was wrong twice.

More on light bulbs ... Arfa Daily UK diy 142 September 15th 10 01:35 PM
Why eco-light bulbs aren't what they seem george [dicegeorge] UK diy 31 December 16th 09 03:10 PM
Comparison of Low Energy bulbs (was Compulsory low-energy light-bulbs) Derek Geldard UK diy 1 March 16th 07 04:52 PM
light bulbs FH Home Repair 16 February 22nd 07 02:52 AM
Light Bulbs Ed UK diy 19 November 26th 06 01:43 PM