Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Light bulbs

On 11/28/2015 5:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:51:20 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I found wind in Chicago to be the most debilitating. I was clearing
the ice off a rental car at the airport with temps of -26F and a wind
chill of -83F. When the weather forecasters start talking in terms
of "exposed flesh warnings" (in *minutes*!), you know it's cold!

That only happened once.

And it was only 117F here, once. :

I recall waiting on a street corner many years earlier (didn't live there
at the time) for a friend (who lived on LSD) to pick me up. Got into his
car and stuffed my fingers *into* the heater duct by the floorboard...

If it wasn't for events like that, I'd have
no memories of certain years. Not that I'd want a repeat.
I enjoy the change of seasons.

I enjoyed the change of seasons -- and good apples! But, I could arrange
to spend my time indoors if the weather was inclement (and watch out the
window as all my neighbors fought with the rain and snow). That wasn't
true of most folks who had to contend with dragging themselves off to
work, etc.

Now, I like the fact that I can go for a walk damn near any time of day
and any day of the year -- just by opening the front door. I don't have
to plan on what-ifs -- in case it chooses to rain/snow/etc. Worst case,
a sudden storm will come up and drench me in the course of a block or two.
But, it won't be that numbing cold rain. Rather, something warm.

And, there's so much more "going on" as the weather draws people and
activities that would be too hard to plan for, elsewhere ("Will it rain
and ruin our event?"). Two weeks back, a neighbor had a birthday party
(outdoors) 'til the wee hours of the morning -- though I think only the
brave/foolish went into the pool!

Ten days ago I was out watching shooting stars at 4AM. Would you try that
in Chicago (assuming you *could* see the sky!) in mid November? Next event
will be in mid February...