Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Light bulbs

Don Y wrote:
On 11/28/2015 9:57 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 11/25/2015 4:32 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/25/2015 3:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/25/2015 11:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

Hi,
That 75W refers to Lumen 75W bulb will produce, I don't think it
refers
to power rating in case of LED. I understand it as bright as 75W
bulb.
You already have answer to your on question. My house is all
converted
to LED including every thing in the garage. except ones in fridge
and
oven.

Well, I recently wanted to replace a bulb in my bathroom. The light
socket had been labeled as 60W, so I found a GE bulb LED replacement,
bought it, and put it in. I just realized that I bought a 75W
replacement LED daylight bulb and says it uses 14W, and it says it's
lumens is 1350.

I can take it back and buy the 60W replacement LED bulb, but do I
really
need to because the 75W replacement says it only uses 14W, which
isn't
even close to the 60W the socket is labeled as?

Enjoy the extra light. You are using only 14 watts. The factor in
the
rating of the fixture is based on the heat output of the bulb and you
are putting out far less with the LED.

For years we use watts for rating bulbs, but in reality, lumen is what
counts for brightness. That is how you can compare the given light of
incandescent, fluorescent, and LED.

We also like the daylight type bulb too.

I sure do love the extra daylight from that bulb with so many cloudy
days in the fall and winter.

Move someplace sunnier! :

(seriously)

When I moved here (S.Az), I saw a sign in the airport claiming
"360 days of sunshine/yr" and laughed. "Yeah, sure". I've since
learned that it is pretty close to the truth! So much so that
cloudy/overcast days are REALLY noticeable!

When I used to go down there for training or to take a part in
designing new
product line, often guys told me to move there saying
shoveling sun shine is easier than snow... Now glbal warming is
giving us favor. Have not started snow blower in years. Today it is
sunny 5C, perfect to finish hanging lights out side. In Canada
Alberta is the most sunny province year round.

I actually much prefer the summers, here, than the winters *anywhere*.
The summers in Chicago, Denver, Boston, etc. were all *miserable*;
hot and humid. You couldn't go outside without expecting to take
a shower WHILE THERE!

Spring and Fall were always dreary and wet. The kind of cold
that seems to go straight through to your bones.

You end up with a *day* in Spring -- and another in Fall -- where things
are "very nice" (I used to joke that "Spring will be on a Wednesday, this
year").

By contrast, our Summers are hot and dry. But, you only tend to notice
it if you are *in* the sun. I hauled 20 tons of crushed stone into the
back yard with a wheelbarrow one day with 117F degree temperatures...
and felt nowhere near as bad as I would have on that same day in
Chitown (when it was probably 80F with an RH of 60+%!).

[Trick is you have to consciously remember to drink lots of fluids!
A pint every 20 MINUTES -- almost half a gallon/hour -- lest you
become dehydrated. As its so dry, you "never perspire" (of course
you do -- but it works as evaporative cooling and leaves you DRY,
instead of acting as a poorly designed BATHING SYSTEM that just
leaves you wet and sticky!). It is very disconcerting to drink
all that water and *not* have to pee!]

Nights in Summer may drop to 80 or 90F -- and you'll see folks
wearing light sweaters (it actually *is* "cool").

Fall, Winter and Spring are delightful, here. I only wear a
jacket when I am out in the wee hours of the morning for those
unusual nights when temperatures drop below freezing (we had
a few consecutive nights in the high teens a couple of years
ago) and I opt to spray the citrus trees with a fine mist to
protect them from the cold (they start to get upset at ~28F).
Having that 60F water blown back in your face at 20F is not
a comfortable feeling (sort of like blowing snow and having
to put up with all *that* airborn cold water!)

Our "bad" season is Monsoon (we have 5 seasons) -- when the
humidity creeps up and the temperatures don't fall *enough*
to compensate. OTOH, the storms are a delightful consolation
prize! When I first came here, I used to think folks were
"weird" cuz they'd all stop what they were doing and watch
it rain (WTF??). I now include myself in that crowd and
marvel at how much water comes down in such a short amount of
time -- then, how quickly it clears up afterwards.

[Downside is weeds will grow almost overnight! Upside is you
can pull them easily when soil is that wet.]

If we could keep all the "visitors" away, it would be very nice!
One advantage to Summer & Monsoon is they're all back up north
sitting in their air conditioned homes (because they can't tolerate
the heat/humidity *there*, either! : )

As to your 5C... cold here today -- 62F (17C?) -- but that's about as
cold as we'll typically see in daylight hours for most of the "Winter".
Our Vancouver BC neighbors have obviously decided it worth purchasing
a second home, here, to get away from the PNW dreariness...

We have Chinook wind in winter, maybe you experienced it in CO? Year
round humidity is on the dry side. In winter indoor humidity can be
negative, without humidifier one's nose can bleed. I just don't like all
the bugs and critters in warm climate. But wife being a serious green
thumb, misses all the flowers, shrubs growing down there. I
guess home is where you are no matter what. Also oriental custom does
not like moving around. Some even says if one leaves home town he can't
go to heaven, LOL!