Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Light bulbs

Don Y wrote:
On 11/25/2015 7:50 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:59:28 -0600, Muggles wrote
in

We've been moving from using the incandescent light bulbs to using LED
bulbs over the last few months. I was wondering if the socket says to
use a 60W bulb, can I replace it with an LED bulb that is technically a
replacement for a 75W bulb when in reality it only draws the equivalent
of 13.5W?

Or do I need to stick with finding a replacement LED for 60W
(specifically) that technically only uses 4W?

There's so many choices of LED bulbs, and then there's soft white, warm
light, natural light, etc. It seems the natural LED light bulbs are the
hardest to find.

When the socket limits the bulb used to 60watts, that means the socket
itself and the fixture it is in, have been designed to handle a
maximum of 60w of thermal load. A CFL or LED that is rated at 13.5w
will be fine if it physically fits in the fixture.

That ignores the fact that there is something that turns the lamp on and
off.

Do you think you could put **600** of those "60W light equivalent" lamps
on a 20A circuit (2400W)?

Most loads have inductive reactance. Z=2*pi*f*L