Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bright flasklight?

I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 10:30 AM, KenK wrote:
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Look around on the internet. There are scads of cheap to very
reasonably priced LED flashlights. With your 3-D it almost sounds as if
it's a retrofit unit (LED module popped into an incandescent bulb unit).
Lose it! Have several high quality Streamlight units and neither of
them will hold a candle to a relatively cheap LED light with a
rechargeable battery that is 1/4 the size. 1/4 the size and probably
five times the light output.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

Seeing as how this usenet group is worldwide (if "they" so choose) what
would you consider local? Planet Earth?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Nov 2015 16:30:24 GMT, KenK wrote:

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

Go to your local cop shop: Tactical Flashlights - Military Flashlight

Have a thick wallet when you go
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

I'd ditch it and get a single bulb led. I've got a 3 D cell single bulb
from HD rated at 200 lumens. I think Walmart carries a lot of good stuff.

The bulb itself should last practically forever but other electronics
can go bad. Google up the innards of a led or cfl and they look more
complex than my first Radioshack computer.

I had to toss one when the switch broke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoomable-250...AOSwMmBV0sp O

I have purchased three of these flashlights, two for myself, and one for
a gift. They are amazing!!!! Not local, but worth the wait.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

If yo want local, Koopman's has a few nice lights.

LED seems to be the way to go as you can get bright and long battery
life. Check Amazon. I got a few small, single AA lights that are
amazingly bright but they have a bunch of others. The ones I got are
300 lumen for $3. Cree brand.

They also have a 2,000 lumen
http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire%C2%A... 09T3DMDF6HJP

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 12:48:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/14/2015 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

If yo want local, Koopman's has a few nice lights.

LED seems to be the way to go as you can get bright and long battery
life. Check Amazon. I got a few small, single AA lights that are
amazingly bright but they have a bunch of others. The ones I got are
300 lumen for $3. Cree brand.

They also have a 2,000 lumen
http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire%C2%A...&perid=049FDCT

As an FYI, that's the same one you can get on eBay for 10 bucks. On
Amazon it costs 30 bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 12:43 PM, Ken wrote:

I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED
assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do
they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoomable-250...AOSwMmBV0sp O

I have purchased three of these flashlights, two for myself, and one for
a gift. They are amazing!!!! Not local, but worth the wait.

It's safe to buy one of those now: they've already sold #666.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

Flashlights, like so many things, cover a wide range
of needs and features. Please answer a few questions,
and we can do a better job of suggestions.

How much money to spend?

Does the flashlight live in your car, tool box,
in the house, pocket carry, or glovebox?

Do you need close vision like repairing under the
sink, or distance like racoons in trees?

Will this be a self defense tool?

How often to use this light? Daily? Only in
rare power cuts?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 10:26 AM, Oren wrote:
Go to your local cop shop: Tactical Flashlights - Military Flashlight

Have a thick wallet when you go

Cops buy SureFire when someone else is footing the bill. The rest of us
buy Fenix. I've got a Duracell 1000 lumen flashlight sitting next to me
that was $20 at CostCo.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Durab.../dp/B015ZL37JY

Mixed reviews on amazon but I must have gotten one of the good ones.
With 4 C cells it doesn't make quite a good a baseball bat as my old 6D
MagLite but it's a lot better than my 2 AA or 3 AAA LED flashlights in
that department.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 02:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Flashlights, like so many things, cover a wide range
of needs and features. Please answer a few questions,
and we can do a better job of suggestions.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/flashlights.png

xkcd comics can be a little cryptic but I think you'll get this one...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 8:46 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/14/2015 10:26 AM, Oren wrote:
Go to your local cop shop: Tactical Flashlights - Military Flashlight

Have a thick wallet when you go

Cops buy SureFire when someone else is footing the bill. The rest of us
buy Fenix. I've got a Duracell 1000 lumen flashlight sitting next to me
that was $20 at CostCo.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Durab.../dp/B015ZL37JY

Mixed reviews on amazon but I must have gotten one of the good ones.
With 4 C cells it doesn't make quite a good a baseball bat as my old 6D
MagLite but it's a lot better than my 2 AA or 3 AAA LED flashlights in
that department.

I've got one of those ryobi 18v rechargeable battery flash lights, and
have 3 batteries that are new and keep them charged up all the time.
Love that flash light.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 9:50 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/14/2015 02:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Flashlights, like so many things, cover a wide range
of needs and features. Please answer a few questions,
and we can do a better job of suggestions.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/flashlights.png

xkcd comics can be a little cryptic but I think you'll get this one...

Thank you. A comic I can understand.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 10:38 PM, Muggles wrote:
Cops buy SureFire when someone else is footing the bill. The rest of us
buy Fenix. I've got a Duracell 1000 lumen flashlight sitting next to me
that was $20 at CostCo.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Durab.../dp/B015ZL37JY

Mixed reviews on amazon but I must have gotten one of the good ones.
With 4 C cells it doesn't make quite a good a baseball bat as my old 6D
MagLite but it's a lot better than my 2 AA or 3 AAA LED flashlights in
that department.

I've got one of those ryobi 18v rechargeable battery flash lights, and
have 3 batteries that are new and keep them charged up all the time.
Love that flash light.

Walmart has a 10 LED square lantern in the camping
section which comes with the first square battery,
here they are $5.47, and the battery lasts about
70 hours (yes, I sacrificed one for testing.)
You can have any color, as long as it's black.

That's good for around the house, or car use. Long
reach beam, helps see racoons in trees, or burglars
in the back yard. Far too large for pocket carry,
but you could rig a shoulder strap maybe. Belt
carabiner.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 00:28:15 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
I've got one of those ryobi 18v rechargeable battery
flash lights, and have 3 batteries that are new and
keep them charged up all the time.
Love that flash light.

Walmart has a 10 LED square lantern in the camping
section which comes with the first square battery,
here they are $5.47, and the battery lasts about
70 hours (yes, I sacrificed one for testing.)
You can have any color, as long as it's black.

That's good for around the house, or car use. Long
reach beam, helps see racoons in trees, or burglars
in the back yard. Far too large for pocket carry,
but you could rig a shoulder strap maybe. Belt
carabiner.

We have a couple of lantern type lights, too, plus various smaller
pocket size flash lights, and a generous supply of batteries for all
of them. I've even used outdoor dollar lights indoors at night when
we list power a few times. They make nice subdued lighting to get
around the house if needed.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 12:48 AM, Muggles wrote:

We have a couple of lantern type lights, too, plus various smaller
pocket size flash lights, and a generous supply of batteries for all of
them. I've even used outdoor dollar lights indoors at night when we list
power a few times. They make nice subdued lighting to get around the
house if needed.

As I wrote earlier, there are several reasons for
needing a battery power light. You mention two or
three of them. Wish the OP would write what is the
use for his flasklight. Otherwise, we're all just
wandering around in the dark.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 07:31:36 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
Otherwise, we're all just
wandering around in the dark.

Wait! I'll go get my flashlight!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Maglite that also went. First it was
tricky to turn on. Then it just died, and the
bulb is not replaceable! They're also very
expensive. I'm not wild about LED flashlights.
They're only really bright when you stare into
them. And the claim that the bulbs last
forever is simply not true. So now I just buy
the cheapest I can find. I got a mini one recently
at a paint store for $3 to replace the Maglite.
(The prices on those are absurdly high.) The
$3 light works fine and fits in a pocket. If it
breaks at some point it won't be a big loss.

For a bright light used for things like camping
I like the big flashlights with the boxy 6 volt
batteries. I can't find the incandescent ones
anymore, but I have some old ones that I keep.
Home Depot sells them for $4-$5, witrh the whole
thing being about the same price as just the
battery itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Muggles formulated :
wrote:
[...]

I'm stocking up with LED flashlights, and replacing the incandesent
bulbs with LED bulbs. They use less power and give brighter light and
last forever. We won't use fuorescent lighting except in the garage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I have 3 LED spotlight bulbs in my track lighting in my bathroom. One is
blue, one is red, and one is daylight, and I use them as a light source
for the plants I've potted up to overwinter. I built shelves in my
bathroom so I'd have a nice place for them, and the red LED light
specifically encourages more bloom production. I can already see that
the light combination is working because my geraniums are blooming, and
my begonias are putting on blooms like crazy. Since, the plants are
potted up from being in the flower bed all summer, I've added venus fly
trap plants to catch any gnats or bugs that come in with the plants. I
haven't seen one stray bug and the venus fly traps are having a field
day munching on the gnats.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/15/2015, Muggles supposed :
wrote:
[...]

Cool...mother nature indoors! You have the touch Muggles! ^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks! It's all one big experiment to see if I can over winter my
garden flowers. I could try to grow radishes in pots, too, but haven't
tried that, yet.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 10:30:31 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

Flasklight! http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psgpzgzs6a.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 07:45 AM, Mayayana wrote:
I have a Maglite that also went. First it was
tricky to turn on. Then it just died, and the
bulb is not replaceable! They're also very
expensive. I'm not wild about LED flashlights.
They're only really bright when you stare into
them. And the claim that the bulbs last
forever is simply not true. So now I just buy
the cheapest I can find.

Buying the cheapest piece of crap you can find is always the recipe for
success.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 10:42 AM, Muggles wrote:
Thanks! It's all one big experiment to see if I can over winter my
garden flowers. I could try to grow radishes in pots, too, but haven't
tried that, yet.

How about pot in pots? Get a cash crop growing. When the cops get
curious about that strange glow from your bathroom windows they aren't
going to buy a story about geraniums.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK formulated the question :
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and
otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to
replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice
bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they
still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long
time.

Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?

TIA

Find flashlights that have a single LED. They give more light and are
more reliable.

Try this;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-300...AOSw3ydV7av h
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Buying the cheapest piece of crap you can find is always the recipe for
| success.

Indeed. They're all basically just batteries,
a bulb and some kind of metal connection. And
the light doesn't seem to know it's not well
dressed. So there's not much sense paying more
for a name.

Actually, though, after writing the earlier post
I found my Maglite actually seems to have a
halogen bulb. Maybe with some luck I can find
a replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's a FLASKLIGHT ??????

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote :
What's a FLASKLIGHT ??????

A lighted booze flask?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 4:31:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:
What's a FLASKLIGHT ??????

http%3A%2F%2Fi1181.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fx430 %2FBenDarrenBach%2Fflask_zpsgpzgzs6a.jpg&sa=D&sntz =1&usg=AFQjCNH7dsPyUmYomx1M0C9m0uDL5q3Z0A

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 4:58:01 PM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 4:31:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:
What's a FLASKLIGHT ??????

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psgpzgzs6a.jpg

Damned Google! 💩
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 12:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/15/2015 10:42 AM, Muggles wrote:
Thanks! It's all one big experiment to see if I can over winter my
garden flowers. I could try to grow radishes in pots, too, but haven't
tried that, yet.

How about pot in pots? Get a cash crop growing. When the cops get
curious about that strange glow from your bathroom windows they aren't
going to buy a story about geraniums.

Funny! We have this Japanese Chaste tree/bush that grows in our back
yard, and the leaves resemble pot leaves. All summer we see low flying
helicopters from various directions and one time we saw someone filming
the "neighborhood" flying at tree top level. I'd like to see them try
to smoke the leaves of this plant! LOL

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 11:27:05 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

How about pot in pots? Get a cash crop growing. When the cops get
curious about that strange glow from your bathroom windows they aren't
going to buy a story about geraniums.

Growing pot in Nevada is legal, either for medicinal purposes or for
being a sponsor of a medical patient. There is a recent case where an
ill woman had her stash and plants taken by a faulty warrant.

_Las Vegas police face civil rights lawsuit over medical marijuana
arrests_

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/las-vegas-police-face-civil-rights-lawsuit-over-medical-marijuana-arrests

https://tinyurl.com/q3ulpjd
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 9:45 AM, Mayayana wrote:
I have a Maglite that also went. First it was
tricky to turn on. Then it just died, and the
bulb is not replaceable! They're also very
expensive.

CY: Mag has excellent repair service.

I'm not wild about LED flashlights.
They're only really bright when you stare into
them. And the claim that the bulbs last
forever is simply not true. So now I just buy
the cheapest I can find. I got a mini one recently
at a paint store for $3 to replace the Maglite.
(The prices on those are absurdly high.) The
$3 light works fine and fits in a pocket. If it
breaks at some point it won't be a big loss.

CY: I've had good results with Mag. The filament
ones are still at Walmart.

For a bright light used for things like camping
I like the big flashlights with the boxy 6 volt
batteries. I can't find the incandescent ones
anymore, but I have some old ones that I keep.

CY: Try Walmart, or Home Depot.

Home Depot sells them for $4-$5, witrh the whole
thing being about the same price as just the
battery itself.

CY: Battery itself is about 2.50 at Walmart, for the
cheap battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 10:49 AM, Eagle wrote:
I'm stocking up with LED flashlights, and replacing the incandesent
bulbs with LED bulbs. They use less power and give brighter light and
last forever. We won't use fuorescent lighting except in the garage.

I've got a couple fluorescent lanterns from
Walmart, takes four D cells. They do OK for
dinner table or room light.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 5:21 PM, Mayayana wrote:
Actually, though, after writing the earlier post
I found my Maglite actually seems to have a
halogen bulb. Maybe with some luck I can find
a replacement.

Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, Ebay, Amazon.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 5:29 PM, wrote:
What's a FLASKLIGHT ??????

C'mon....a light that holds your liquor.

Here
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...sl-flask-light
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 03:21 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| Buying the cheapest piece of crap you can find is always the recipe for
| success.

Indeed. They're all basically just batteries,
a bulb and some kind of metal connection. And
the light doesn't seem to know it's not well
dressed. So there's not much sense paying more
for a name.

Not any more. High output LEDs require fairly sophisticated electronics.
That's one place to screw up. I have some 3 AAA flashlights that were 3
for $20 at CostCo. The switch in the tail glows red to indicate a low
battery. Unfortunately, that little option also drains the batteries in
short order. The next generation skipped that option.

Another thing to avoid are flashlights that have a lot of little dome
shaped LEDs. They may look cool but they're 15 year old technology.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 04:15 PM, Muggles wrote:
Funny! We have this Japanese Chaste tree/bush that grows in our back
yard, and the leaves resemble pot leaves. All summer we see low flying
helicopters from various directions and one time we saw someone filming
the "neighborhood" flying at tree top level. I'd like to see them try
to smoke the leaves of this plant! LOL

Back in the '70s we had a contract to assemble grow lights for GTE
Sylvania. some had cosmetic defects and couldn't be shipped. We weren't
interested in running a factory store so anybody who wanted one could
grab a reject. As you walked through the little Maine town at night most
of the houses had a pale purple glow. Must have driven the cops nuts.