Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVDs: Picture gets bright-dark-bright-dark...

When watching some DVDs (maybe all; I haven't noticed it on some, but
it may not be as obvious on lower-contrast viewing?) the picture gets
slightly brighter, then slightly darker, then slightly brighter, then
slightly dimmer, etc. Not a flashing change, but gradual over maybe
5-10 seconds. Maybe not important, but I have the DVD player routed
through our VCR to the TV. Haven't noticed any problems with playing
VHS tapes or watching TV (through the VCR).

Any ideas? DVD player, TV, or VCR problem? (Sounds like DVD player
based on what I wrote above?!)

Jamie
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

Default Picture gets bright-dark-bright-dark...

Route the DVD directly to the monitor, running through the VCR causes the
'copy guard' to go into effect causing the brightness level changes.
"woodpecker" wrote in message
When watching some DVDs (maybe all; I haven't noticed it on some, but
it may not be as obvious on lower-contrast viewing?) the picture gets
slightly brighter, then slightly darker, then slightly brighter, then
slightly dimmer, etc. Not a flashing change, but gradual over maybe
5-10 seconds. Maybe not important, but I have the DVD player routed
through our VCR to the TV. Haven't noticed any problems with playing
VHS tapes or watching TV (through the VCR).

Any ideas? DVD player, TV, or VCR problem? (Sounds like DVD player
based on what I wrote above?!)

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

woodpecker wrote:
When watching some DVDs (maybe all; I haven't noticed it on some, but
it may not be as obvious on lower-contrast viewing?) the picture gets
slightly brighter, then slightly darker, then slightly brighter, then
slightly dimmer, etc. Not a flashing change, but gradual over maybe
5-10 seconds. Maybe not important, but I have the DVD player routed
through our VCR to the TV. Haven't noticed any problems with playing
VHS tapes or watching TV (through the VCR).

Any ideas? DVD player, TV, or VCR problem? (Sounds like DVD player
based on what I wrote above?!)

Jamie

Yes, that's Macrovison copy protection. It's supposed to prevent you
from making a clear copy to VHS from DVD.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yes, that's Macrovison copy protection. It's supposed to prevent
you from making a clear copy to VHS from DVD.

Heck, VHS inherently makes it impossible to make a clear copy...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, that's Macrovison copy protection. It's supposed to prevent
you from making a clear copy to VHS from DVD.

Heck, VHS inherently makes it impossible to make a clear copy...

LOL true enough.

People who are copying DVDs are using software to make perfect digital
copies. The MPAA is a decade behind the times as are most things of that
nature.

If your TV lacks a composite input, you can get RF converters that will not
exhibit this problem. If you need more inputs on the TV, switchboxes are
available.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 27, 6:43 pm, "James Sweet" wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

. ..

Yes, that's Macrovison copy protection. It's supposed to prevent
you from making a clear copy to VHS from DVD.

Heck, VHS inherently makes it impossible to make a clear copy...

LOL true enough.

People who are copying DVDs are using software to make perfect digital
copies. The MPAA is a decade behind the times as are most things of that
nature.

If your TV lacks a composite input, you can get RF converters that will not
exhibit this problem. If you need more inputs on the TV, switchboxes are
available.

The coaxial cable attachment on the TV (i.e. where we would hook the
cable to or cable from the VCR--sorry I don't know all the correct
terms!) is bad so we've been using the VCR as our tuner, then RCA type
cords to the TV which has only 1 set of input jacks. (You previously
gave me advice on that, James.) Thus why we have the DVD going into
the VCR.

Is the switchbox you refer to like an A/B coaxial switch, except for
RCA connectors? Can I pick one up at Radio Shack? If I get that,
will I still need the RF converter? (If so, what is that?)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The coaxial cable attachment on the TV (i.e. where we would hook the
cable to or cable from the VCR--sorry I don't know all the correct
terms!) is bad so we've been using the VCR as our tuner, then RCA type
cords to the TV which has only 1 set of input jacks. (You previously
gave me advice on that, James.) Thus why we have the DVD going into
the VCR.

Is the switchbox you refer to like an A/B coaxial switch, except for
RCA connectors? Can I pick one up at Radio Shack? If I get that,
will I still need the RF converter? (If so, what is that?)

In that case get a switchbox that has RCA connectors, plug the DVD player
into one input and the VCR into the other, it'll do just what you need.