Posted to alt.home.repair

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 09/2015

XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594
Average articles per thread ......... 13.01
Number of unanswered posts .......... 130

Top Threads

Ranking Articles Subject
------- -------- ----------------------------------
1 312 EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's
being tested?
2 203 off topic: new car advice for senior
3 176 DISH network tip.
4 155 OT Technology rant
5 138 AAA auto club
6 122 Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. Is it
malpractice?
7 103 how much should I be charging for these shared
appliances..
8 98 Another bad day for RINOs
9 97 What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?
10 92 [OT] Communicating without grid power
11 87 Poison Ivy Removal - Total, Complete ?
12 85 OT: Volkswagen
13 83 OT: retirement. Payments or lump sum?
14 77 A/C condensation problem
15 77 Dryer breaker
16 76 Reusing computer A/C cords?
17 71 refrigerator circuit board repair for GE
18 64 Deck screws in PTW wood
19 60 I guess this more of a question for burglars than
home owners
20 54 storing a 12 volt battery
21 53 ants
22 51 I can't blame the dog for this
23 51 Wiring&breaker for lighting circuit
24 49 How can we tell from a WiFi card spec whether the
NIC is 2.4GHz or 5GHz, or both?
25 49 OT: Windows 10

Top Posters

Ranking Articles Name Most Used Newsreader
------- -------- -------------------------- --------------------
1 434 Don Y Mozilla
2 339 Uncle Monster G2
3 306 Oren Forte Agent
4 246 trader_4
5 245 Stormin Mormon Mozilla
6 208
7 206 THE COLONEL, Ph.D
8 187
Forte Agent
9 173 Muggles Mozilla
10 137 Ed Pawlowski Mozilla
11 135 micky
12 130 Tony Hwang
13 117 NEMO
14 115 Edmund J. Burke, Ph.D
15 109 Colonel Edmund Burke
16 108 The Peeler
17 98 philo
18 90 Bob F
19 81 taxed and spent
20 76 DerbyDad03
21 71 rbowman Mozilla
22 56 Dean Hoffman
23 56 Tekkie®
24 55 Ashton Crusher
25 52 Ewald Böhm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2015 9:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

Top Threads

Ranking Articles Subject
------- -------- ----------------------------------
1 312 EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's
being tested?
2 203 off topic: new car advice for senior
3 176 DISH network tip.
4 155 OT Technology rant
5 138 AAA auto club
6 122 Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. Is it
malpractice?
7 103 how much should I be charging for these shared
appliances..
8 98 Another bad day for RINOs
9 97 What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?
10 92 [OT] Communicating without grid power

CY: Amazing, out of the top ten threads, one (the tile
repair) was on home repair. Sadly, I am one of the
violators. My apologies.

Top Posters

Ranking Articles Name Most Used Newsreader
------- -------- -------------------------- --------------------
1 434 Don Y Mozilla
2 339 Uncle Monster G2
3 306 Oren Forte Agent
4 246 trader_4
5 245 Stormin Mormon Mozilla

CY: Well, if nothing else, I did slow down my posting
rate, a bit. Thank you for compiling this. I resolve
to try and do better, in terms of staying on topic.

That said, my kitchen sink is flowing nicely. After
three days work. I'd put it off for twenty years, and
that was why.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

I only see a few OT postings, and those are generally "real" info. Each time someone starts something stupid or replies to it, I put them in my filter. I'm sure I'm missing some good info, but that's the trade-off. No offense to anyone but I have put 3 of the top 5 posters in the filter. If they have something worthwhile to read, someone else generally copies it in a reply and I can read it then.

Top Threads

Ranking Articles Subject
------- -------- ----------------------------------
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 6:05 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I only see a few OT postings, and those are generally "real" info. Each time someone starts something stupid or replies to it, I put them in my filter. I'm sure I'm missing some good info, but that's the trade-off. No offense to anyone but I have put 3 of the top 5 posters in the filter. If they have something worthwhile to read, someone else generally copies it in a reply and I can read it then.

You should put Oren in there for being a mother ****er.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 8:05:35 AM UTC-5, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
[...]

Snuffy is complaining about "top posters", how ironic. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Post Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 8:50 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I got a giggle out of reading the "bidet" thread, but have been busy
with projects around the house. We're building a wood frame green house
to replace the hoop house. I bought my own 18V Ryobi 5½" circular saw
and a drill to go with it. Built a walkway deck and a step into the work
shop. I'm getting a lot of use out of the drill. All the trips to Home
Depot for wood and moving the wood to the back yard has my arms and
elbows sore! I can't pick up much wood at one time, but I get some
exercise helping with what I can move. One good thing is I've been
taking glucosamine every day and it really helps all the old joints from
aching! I think all the low impact exercise has lowered my blood sugar
readings, too, and almost too low, occasionally.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Do you know what is optimum dose of GS a day according to hospital trial
in the '80's. 1500mg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 9:58:18 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I took some Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets years ago but I don't recall if it really helped me because I was so active at the time. I had high blood sugar during that same period and decided to do something about it by eschewing any sugar sweetened beverage which meant giving up sweet iced tea, my beloved Mountain Dew and all other sugar sweetened soft drinks. I switched to diet soft drinks, lost 100 lbs in 2 months and my blood sugar dropped into a more normal range. Now my blood sugar is always normal unless I consume something very sweet but it never reaches 200 and soon drops back to normal. I may try some Glucosamine and Chondroitin again but I've found that the more sleep I get, the less pain I'm in. Good luck with your projects. You must post pictures. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Arthritic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 11:17:30 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

Do you know what is optimum dose of GS a day according to hospital trial
in the '80's. 1500mg.

Tony do you use GS? If so, what have you experienced? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle GS Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2015 2:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

My maternal grandparents were both full blown diabetics who had to use
insulin shots every day. When I was a teen I was told because of my
family history that I'd eventually be diabetic, too, and I really didn't
have much choice in the matter. As a young adult I was hypoglycemic for
about 20+/- years. I'd have low bs events where it would drop suddenly
and I wouldn't be able to communicate with words, so I would always try
to make sure I'd eat regularly. A few times I missed the window to eat
and I'd end up in a public place as my sugar would take a dive (and I
was out of snacks I'd carry with me). Someone would usually witness me
go ashen, and they'd see a panic in my eyes that something was wrong. I
would have to work to find the word "food" and they'd say "YOU NEED to
eat something??" I'd nod "YES!", and they'd run to get me something.
Often times they'd have to put the food to my mouth for the first few
bites. Maybe, 20 mins. would go by and then I'd be back to normal.
Somewhere along the way my pancreas needed a jump start and that's when
the Dr. told I'd crossed over the line to type 2.

The thing about type 2 is Dr's kept telling me my BS tested normal
whenever I'd be in the Dr's office and I was supposed to run to the Dr's
office when I felt it drop or go wonky so they could test it, but I
COULDN'T drive until it normalized again. It took me some years to
figure out what combination of foods I needed to consume so it wouldn't
go low OR higher than normal. Now, it's under control with diet, but I
still have the metformin I can take if it jumps unexpectedly.

I may try some Glucosamine
and Chondroitin again but I've found that the more sleep I get, the less pain I'm
in. Good luck with your projects. You must post pictures. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Arthritic Monster

I ended up trying these glucosamine chews. They are like a soft taffy
type chew that you can take 3 at one time, or chew one at a time
throughout the day. I checked on the reviews and people said it helped
them, so it appears they weren't making it up because I've much less
pain in my joints now.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

McKinney wrote:
[...]

I've read that it's the same these days, too.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles posted for all of us...

The thing about type 2 is Dr's kept telling me my BS tested normal
whenever I'd be in the Dr's office and I was supposed to run to the Dr's
office when I felt it drop or go wonky so they could test it, but I
COULDN'T drive until it normalized again

How are you supposed to get to the Docs if you can't drive?

Get a glucose meter. Some pharmacy's give them to you free. Then you are
locked into those test strips and where they make their money. Each meter
has it's own qualities but accuracy is good enough for government work. DAGS
for them. If you have a prescription plan or Medicare you can usually get a
free meter and better pricing on strips. It is true you need a blood drop
but each meter is different for size. You do not have to test on your finger
tips, you can use your arm.

The important thing is to recognize you are going into a slump, this is a
very dangerous condition if not reversed quickly because you can pass out or
worse. Anything below 70 is bad for ME.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2015 3:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Muggles posted for all of us...

The thing about type 2 is Dr's kept telling me my BS tested normal
whenever I'd be in the Dr's office and I was supposed to run to the Dr's
office when I felt it drop or go wonky so they could test it, but I
COULDN'T drive until it normalized again

How are you supposed to get to the Docs if you can't drive?

That's what I told the Dr's.

Get a glucose meter. Some pharmacy's give them to you free. Then you are
locked into those test strips and where they make their money. Each meter
has it's own qualities but accuracy is good enough for government work. DAGS
for them. If you have a prescription plan or Medicare you can usually get a
free meter and better pricing on strips. It is true you need a blood drop
but each meter is different for size. You do not have to test on your finger
tips, you can use your arm.

I have a meter now.

The important thing is to recognize you are going into a slump, this is a
very dangerous condition if not reversed quickly because you can pass out or
worse. Anything below 70 is bad for ME.

Sometimes, I get distracted and don't always recognize that my bs is
dropping in time to get to food. Recently, I was out working in the
back yard and started feeling bad. It wasn't bad enough to stop what I
was doing, but I just felt a little "blah". My dog started acting a bit
odd with me, too. She kept bumping me with her nose and trying to get
me to pet her on the head. I thought she just wanted attention, but
after I went in and tested my bs it was pretty low, then I ate a snack -
it got me to thinking and wondering if she could tell that my bs was
taking a dive. Have you ever heard of dogs sensing that sort of thing
in people?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

As a diabetic person, not only BS, your digestion and
circulation(extremity circulation; eyes, toes, finger tips),
3 things you have to watch. If you depend on drugs, it'll get worse
with side effects. Diet, many natural supplement will help out
greatly if you use them carefully.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 12:01 AM, Muggles wrote:
Sometimes, I get distracted and don't always recognize that my bs is
dropping in time to get to food. Recently, I was out working in the
back yard and started feeling bad. It wasn't bad enough to stop what I
was doing, but I just felt a little "blah". My dog started acting a bit
odd with me, too. She kept bumping me with her nose and trying to get
me to pet her on the head. I thought she just wanted attention, but
after I went in and tested my bs it was pretty low, then I ate a snack -
it got me to thinking and wondering if she could tell that my bs was
taking a dive. Have you ever heard of dogs sensing that sort of thing
in people?

Dogs have good noses. Maybe dog can pick up on
the breath acetone odor? Or is that only for
high sugar?

When I read about your BS level going up or down,
I think of the other common use of the letters
BS. Kind of throws my brain into other directions.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 12:01 AM, Muggles wrote:

Sometimes, I get distracted and don't always recognize that my bs is
dropping in time to get to food. Recently, I was out working in the
back yard and started feeling bad. It wasn't bad enough to stop what I
was doing, but I just felt a little "blah". My dog started acting a bit
odd with me, too. She kept bumping me with her nose and trying to get
me to pet her on the head. I thought she just wanted attention, but
after I went in and tested my bs it was pretty low, then I ate a snack -
it got me to thinking and wondering if she could tell that my bs was
taking a dive. Have you ever heard of dogs sensing that sort of thing
in people?

Yes, they can be trained, but it looks like your dog has a natural
instinct for it. I'm sure you'll pay attention to it in the future.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2015 11:51 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

By the time I got Dr's to recognize my blood sugar issues I already had
some damage to nerves in my feet. I can use an impact massager on my
calves and ankles and it wakes up those nerves for a little while, though.

If you depend on drugs, it'll get worse
with side effects. Diet, many natural supplement will help out
greatly if you use them carefully.

Right now I'm diet controlled, but I have meds in case I need them on
occasion. I've tried various natural supplements, too, and they do OK,
but they don't work that well consistently.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 7:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/7/2015 12:01 AM, Muggles wrote:
Sometimes, I get distracted and don't always recognize that my bs is
dropping in time to get to food. Recently, I was out working in the
back yard and started feeling bad. It wasn't bad enough to stop what I
was doing, but I just felt a little "blah". My dog started acting a bit
odd with me, too. She kept bumping me with her nose and trying to get
me to pet her on the head. I thought she just wanted attention, but
after I went in and tested my bs it was pretty low, then I ate a snack -
it got me to thinking and wondering if she could tell that my bs was
taking a dive. Have you ever heard of dogs sensing that sort of thing
in people?

Dogs have good noses. Maybe dog can pick up on
the breath acetone odor? Or is that only for
high sugar?

Don't know.

When I read about your BS level going up or down,
I think of the other common use of the letters
BS. Kind of throws my brain into other directions.

LOL I thought about that. I can't decide if I should type out "blood
sugar" or if "bs" is good enough.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 8:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/7/2015 12:01 AM, Muggles wrote:

Sometimes, I get distracted and don't always recognize that my bs is
dropping in time to get to food. Recently, I was out working in the
back yard and started feeling bad. It wasn't bad enough to stop what I
was doing, but I just felt a little "blah". My dog started acting a bit
odd with me, too. She kept bumping me with her nose and trying to get
me to pet her on the head. I thought she just wanted attention, but
after I went in and tested my bs it was pretty low, then I ate a snack -
it got me to thinking and wondering if she could tell that my bs was
taking a dive. Have you ever heard of dogs sensing that sort of thing
in people?

Yes, they can be trained, but it looks like your dog has a natural
instinct for it. I'm sure you'll pay attention to it in the future.

I sure will. It was kind of a surprise that she could sense that.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 12:20:50 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

Dogs are trained to detect seizures in children and go wake the
parents. Some are said to detect cancer in hospitals, too. Their nose
is 1,000 times better than humans. They can even detect smuggled money
in sealed tennis ball cans and other contraband in airports.

My dog gets in my face trying to figure out what I just ate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 10:20 AM, Muggles wrote:

Yes, they can be trained, but it looks like your dog has a natural
instinct for it. I'm sure you'll pay attention to it in the future.

I sure will. It was kind of a surprise that she could sense that.

Don't count on it! I don't know if you've ever had a severe hypoglycemic
episode but you lose your ability to think rationally.

I had an episode where I recall asking as to the location of a water
fountain. I recall being told, "out the door, to the left and at the
end of the hall". I.e., I *know* the words that were said to me
at that time. Yet, they made absolutely no sense. A short time
later, I woke up to find a trash bucket under my face -- apparently,
folks thought I was going to throw up when, in fact, I had simply
run out of glucose molecules to keep my brain operating!

[I'm not diabetic nor on any sorts of meds]

Apparently, my body tends to operate on a much leaner blood sugar
level than most. In response to that episode, my MD scheduled a
*7* hr GTT just to see where my body chemistry was running.

When reviewing the results, he asked me how I felt during the
test (you've fasted BEFORE and now get to continue that fast
*during*!). I said "fine" which brought a frown to his face.
"Your blood sugar was down at ~45mg/dL" which made him wonder
how low it must have plummeted on the "water fountain" day!

Bottom line: you have to act *before* you lose the ability to
recognize the *need* to act! (in my case, I just felt like
I needed something to drink!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 12:47 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Wonder what dogs think when they do that? "ohhh! love that stinky garlic
smell!!"

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 12:47 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/7/2015 10:20 AM, Muggles wrote:

Yes, they can be trained, but it looks like your dog has a natural
instinct for it. I'm sure you'll pay attention to it in the future.

I sure will. It was kind of a surprise that she could sense that.

Don't count on it! I don't know if you've ever had a severe hypoglycemic
episode but you lose your ability to think rationally.

Yes, many times before I crossed over. I spent about 20 years dealing
with being hypoglycemic.

[...]

My blood sugar reading was 106 when I was feeling bad that day the dog
was bugging me. That's a low reading for me, and I'm fairly sure it was
on a downward trend at the time, too. I can usually feel it dive, but I
don't always recognize it as being my blood sugar.

I've scared about 10 different people over the years when it took an
unexpected dive. I'd get confused, couldn't communicate even though I
knew the words I couldn't get them to come out, turn various ashen
shades while it was happening, and when those things happened I had to
work at getting one word out so someone could help me and the word was
"food".

One time I was at a work luncheon and felt my sugar start to drop, so I
went into the kitchen and told someone I needed to eat, and they told me
to go wait with everyone else - things would be ready soon. I looked up
at a co-worker and he saw me turn ashen and the look in my eyes was
panic. He said to me "you NEED to eat, right?!" All I could do at that
point was nod my head "YES". He grabbed me, leaned me against the wall
and held on to me so I wouldn't hit the floor and TOLD a lady to GET
this woman something to eat. She came back with a cupcake, but I
couldn't get it to my mouth. She helped me take the first few bites and
it took maybe 10 mins. before the color came back into my face and I
could speak again. My co-worked never let go of me until I could
communicate.

I think about 10 similar episodes like that have happened over the
years. Not so much the last 10 years, but I still have to pay attention
to the signs.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles posted for all of us...

[...]

Yes, I have heard of service dogs that sense medical conditions; notably
seizure victims. Pay attention next time! It sneaks up on you. Were you
diagnosed a brittle diabetic?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 3:04 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Muggles posted for all of us...

[...]

I've never heard of "brittle" diabetic, so looked it up. I don't have
that version. I just started off as being hypoglycemic for about 20
years, and then crossed over to type 2. I've never had high numbers,
but may have gotten close to 200 occasionally from having a meal that
wasn't balanced (more carbs than protein, for example). I've been told
that my sugars are just elevated (higher than what Dr's consider to be
normal), and I tend to feel bad when my readings drop below 120 even
though they tell me it's an ideal reading. If I get below 110 it keeps
dropping until I feel REALLY bad. Why I don't feel good at 120 is
something I don't understand.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 14:46:47 -0500, Muggles wrote:

My dog gets in my face trying to figure out what I just ate

Wonder what dogs think when they do that? "ohhh! love that stinky garlic
smell!!"

Can't say what the dog thinks, but I have farted and he leaves to
room. Maybe he can figure out what stink smells like? Paint was
peeling off the wall.

I've had a dog fart and I left the room, when she ate avocados, and
exuded a gastric disturbance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 14:46:47 -0500, Muggles wrote:

My dog gets in my face trying to figure out what I just ate

Wonder what dogs think when they do that? "ohhh! love that stinky garlic
smell!!"

Can't say what the dog thinks, but I have farted and he leaves to
room. Maybe he can figure out what stink smells like? Paint was
peeling off the wall.

I've had a dog fart and I left the room, when she ate avocados, and
exuded a gastric disturbance.

ROFLOL!! I have air fresheners strategically placed in every room, and
the dog is usually snoozing away near wherever I'm at. She'll light one
up and I'm dying from the smell!! I get even though by reaching for the
nearest air freshener and spraying her butt and general location. The
dog can move FAST from being sound asleep to in the other room. She
can't stand nice smelling air freshener!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 15:21:27 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

My wife says she never poots. Of course she was asleep when I heard
her do it. She isn't innocent!

Why do women lie?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 4:21:26 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

You want to talk about a thread drifting off topic?

From "statistics for 09/2015" to
kill files to
sore arms to
glucosamine to
diabetes to
service dogs to
dog farts

I'm sure I missed something along the way...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 14:10:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

You want to talk about a thread drifting off topic?

From "statistics for 09/2015" to
kill files to
sore arms to
glucosamine to
diabetes to
service dogs to
dog farts

I'm sure I missed something along the way...

Good point.

We haven't even got to fat boys fart and pretty girls sing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

ahahahaaha Why do men lie, only about different things?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

From "statistics for 09/2015" to
kill files to
sore arms to
glucosamine to
diabetes to
service dogs to
dog farts

I'm sure I missed something along the way...

It's been kind of a funny thread at certain points.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 5:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You want to talk about a thread drifting off topic?

From "statistics for 09/2015" to
kill files to
sore arms to
glucosamine to
diabetes to
service dogs to
dog farts

I'm sure I missed something along the way...

I've requested subject line changes at one
point or other. Only to be criticized for
helping keep the internet clean.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 12:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

Bottom line: you have to act *before* you lose the ability to
recognize the *need* to act! (in my case, I just felt like
I needed something to drink!)

My blood sugar reading was 106 when I was feeling bad that day the dog
was bugging me. That's a low reading for me, and I'm fairly sure it was
on a downward trend at the time, too. I can usually feel it dive, but I
don't always recognize it as being my blood sugar.

I've been told "low" creeps upward for diabetics. As if it is a
*rleative* thing, not an absolute. Yet, glucometers only alert
on ~ 40 readings. So, I gather there is something special
about *that* sort of "low"

(or, glucometers aren't smart enough to know enough about their user
to identify THEIR low)

I've scared about 10 different people over the years when it took an
unexpected dive. I'd get confused, couldn't communicate even though I
knew the words I couldn't get them to come out, turn various ashen
shades while it was happening, and when those things happened I had to
work at getting one word out so someone could help me and the word was
"food".

I forget to eat : So, it's been a common problem for most of my life
that my body will "hit empty". As a youngster, I self-realized that
a packet of sugar was what my body was craving -- I'd walk into a
restaurant and just take one off a table.

Pure sugar tastes like crap (!) But, fixes my problem when I've been too
abusive to my body.

One time I was at a work luncheon and felt my sugar start to drop, so I
went into the kitchen and told someone I needed to eat, and they told me
to go wait with everyone else - things would be ready soon. I looked up
at a co-worker and he saw me turn ashen and the look in my eyes was
panic. He said to me "you NEED to eat, right?!" All I could do at that
point was nod my head "YES". He grabbed me, leaned me against the wall
and held on to me so I wouldn't hit the floor and TOLD a lady to GET
this woman something to eat. She came back with a cupcake, but I
couldn't get it to my mouth. She helped me take the first few bites and
it took maybe 10 mins. before the color came back into my face and I
could speak again. My co-worked never let go of me until I could
communicate.

I think I recover much quicker. And, will recover even in the absence of
food/sustenance. It just seems to take a really low level to trigger
liver to release its stores.

Either that, or it keeps trying to teach me a lesson... (slow learner)

I think about 10 similar episodes like that have happened over the
years. Not so much the last 10 years, but I still have to pay attention
to the signs.

I was cautioned that the signs get subtler so told to be proactive
(i.e., REMEMBER to eat instead of waiting for the body to FORCE you
to eat).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 8:26 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/7/2015 12:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

Bottom line: you have to act *before* you lose the ability to
recognize the *need* to act! (in my case, I just felt like
I needed something to drink!)

My blood sugar reading was 106 when I was feeling bad that day the dog
was bugging me. That's a low reading for me, and I'm fairly sure it was
on a downward trend at the time, too. I can usually feel it dive, but I
don't always recognize it as being my blood sugar.

I've been told "low" creeps upward for diabetics. As if it is a
*rleative* thing, not an absolute. Yet, glucometers only alert
on ~ 40 readings. So, I gather there is something special
about *that* sort of "low"

(or, glucometers aren't smart enough to know enough about their user
to identify THEIR low)

That makes sense to me because 106 was pretty low for me to get and it
was still dropping when I tested it. The Dr. would have probably said
it was a GREAT number to be at, but if I feel horrible how can it be a
good number?

I've scared about 10 different people over the years when it took an
unexpected dive. I'd get confused, couldn't communicate even though I
knew the words I couldn't get them to come out, turn various ashen
shades while it was happening, and when those things happened I had to
work at getting one word out so someone could help me and the word was
"food".

I forget to eat : So, it's been a common problem for most of my life
that my body will "hit empty". As a youngster, I self-realized that
a packet of sugar was what my body was craving -- I'd walk into a
restaurant and just take one off a table.

Pure sugar tastes like crap (!) But, fixes my problem when I've been too
abusive to my body.

When I'm working on projects I can forget to eat too, but if I feel my
stomach growl I have about 10 - 15 minutes to get food before it takes a
dive. My stomach doesn't always growl, though, when the sugar is dropping.

[...]

You should EAT more regular. That could do damage to your body if you
keep having those lows.

I think about 10 similar episodes like that have happened over the
years. Not so much the last 10 years, but I still have to pay attention
to the signs.

I was cautioned that the signs get subtler so told to be proactive
(i.e., REMEMBER to eat instead of waiting for the body to FORCE you
to eat).

Set a timer! lol

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 8:53 PM, Muggles wrote:

My blood sugar reading was 106 when I was feeling bad that day the dog
was bugging me. That's a low reading for me, and I'm fairly sure it was
on a downward trend at the time, too. I can usually feel it dive, but I
don't always recognize it as being my blood sugar.

I've been told "low" creeps upward for diabetics. As if it is a
*rleative* thing, not an absolute. Yet, glucometers only alert
on ~ 40 readings. So, I gather there is something special
about *that* sort of "low"

(or, glucometers aren't smart enough to know enough about their user
to identify THEIR low)

That makes sense to me because 106 was pretty low for me to get and it
was still dropping when I tested it. The Dr. would have probably said
it was a GREAT number to be at, but if I feel horrible how can it be a
good number?

Well, I think there are two issues: one is how you feel and the
other is what's happening to your body, as an organism.

While 106 is not alarming (in terms of "high"), I am sure your
body is reacting as if it was a 106 mg/dL sugar concentration.
I.e., *not* as if it was a "45mg/dL" ("low") concentration.
Said another way, if you felt hypoglycemic at 200mg/dL, I
would suspect your body was being *damaged* -- even though
it was clamoring for more sugar!

This is how I understand the paradox -- do what's right for
the *body* vs. doing what's right for the *human*!

I forget to eat : So, it's been a common problem for most of my life
that my body will "hit empty". As a youngster, I self-realized that
a packet of sugar was what my body was craving -- I'd walk into a
restaurant and just take one off a table.

Pure sugar tastes like crap (!) But, fixes my problem when I've been too
abusive to my body.

When I'm working on projects I can forget to eat too, but if I feel my
stomach growl I have about 10 - 15 minutes to get food before it takes a
dive. My stomach doesn't always growl, though, when the sugar is dropping.

I simply don't think about eating. I am aware of *thirst* but hunger
doesn't drive me (to act). E.g., I don't eat my first meal until sometime
in the late afternoon. The idea of eating in the morning is just
anathema to me.

I think I recover much quicker. And, will recover even in the absence of
food/sustenance. It just seems to take a really low level to trigger
liver to release its stores.

Either that, or it keeps trying to teach me a lesson... (slow learner)

You should EAT more regular. That could do damage to your body if you
keep having those lows.

I don't know how often I have lows of that sort. I only lost consciousness
on the one occasion. And, it was compounded by being a stressful
situation (I understand stress burns lots of sugar). So, its possible
that my "normal" is quite acceptable -- just the unusual circumstances
(e.g., stressors) that cause problems.

I think about 10 similar episodes like that have happened over the
years. Not so much the last 10 years, but I still have to pay attention
to the signs.

I was cautioned that the signs get subtler so told to be proactive
(i.e., REMEMBER to eat instead of waiting for the body to FORCE you
to eat).

Set a timer! lol

If you have no *desire* to eat, how will a timer "make you hungry"
(WANT to eat?).

Isn't that like telling someone who is constipated to set a timer
to remember to sh*t?? : (even if he doesn't "have to"?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 11:10 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Is no desire to eat a result of a physical thing, or because you just
get focused on tasks?

Isn't that like telling someone who is constipated to set a timer
to remember to sh*t?? : (even if he doesn't "have to"?)

I had to remind my son that his body was like an engine. If you don't
add fuel it's going to quit running. He'd eat junk food and then forget
to eat altogether at times. Then he'd ask me why he felt so bad all the
time.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 9:19 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Being preoccupied plays a big role -- easily NOT distracted!
The time required (away from the task at hand) to prepare that
meal is also a consideration (do I *really* want to take a
30-60 minute break, now, JUST to eat??).

But, I also tend not to *get* "hungry" -- thirsty, yes (so, I
get up frequently to make a fresh cup of tea -- something that
takes just a minute or two).

Isn't that like telling someone who is constipated to set a timer
to remember to sh*t?? : (even if he doesn't "have to"?)

I had to remind my son that his body was like an engine. If you don't
add fuel it's going to quit running. He'd eat junk food and then forget
to eat altogether at times. Then he'd ask me why he felt so bad all the
time.

I don't "feel bad", generally. If I'm digging in the yard or working
on the roof -- something that is physically strenuous and/or exposes
me to the heat -- then I will get "run down" and tend to want to
stuff something *quick* in my belly. But, if doing research,
writing code, etc. -- sedentary activities -- my body appears to be
able to make every calorie last a long time!

I'm also not a "nervous eater" -- I don't tend to sit down with a
bag of chips and mindlessly eat them until the bag is empty (I don't
eat any of these sorts of snacks). I tend to need my hands free and
clean to do whatever I'm doing at the time so "snacking" requires
lots of time "cleaning up" between nibbles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/08/2015 12:19 AM, Muggles wrote:

I had to remind my son that his body was like an engine. If you don't
add fuel it's going to quit running. He'd eat junk food and then forget
to eat altogether at times. Then he'd ask me why he felt so bad all the
time.

Kids run on pizza, nothing else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Women are members of a secret society that has hidden sound proof facilities everywhere so women can conceal the catharsis of the rude behavior they have stored up during the day. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxxsP7VWVN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKiHZ4SGu5A

[8~{} Uncle Fart Monster