Posted to alt.home.repair

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 09/2015

XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594
Average articles per thread ......... 13.01
Number of unanswered posts .......... 130

Top Threads

Ranking Articles Subject
------- -------- ----------------------------------
1 312 EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's
being tested?
2 203 off topic: new car advice for senior
3 176 DISH network tip.
4 155 OT Technology rant
5 138 AAA auto club
6 122 Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. Is it
malpractice?
7 103 how much should I be charging for these shared
appliances..
8 98 Another bad day for RINOs
9 97 What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?
10 92 [OT] Communicating without grid power
11 87 Poison Ivy Removal - Total, Complete ?
12 85 OT: Volkswagen
13 83 OT: retirement. Payments or lump sum?
14 77 A/C condensation problem
15 77 Dryer breaker
16 76 Reusing computer A/C cords?
17 71 refrigerator circuit board repair for GE
18 64 Deck screws in PTW wood
19 60 I guess this more of a question for burglars than
home owners
20 54 storing a 12 volt battery
21 53 ants
22 51 I can't blame the dog for this
23 51 Wiring&breaker for lighting circuit
24 49 How can we tell from a WiFi card spec whether the
NIC is 2.4GHz or 5GHz, or both?
25 49 OT: Windows 10

Top Posters

Ranking Articles Name Most Used Newsreader
------- -------- -------------------------- --------------------
1 434 Don Y Mozilla
2 339 Uncle Monster G2
3 306 Oren Forte Agent
4 246 trader_4
5 245 Stormin Mormon Mozilla
6 208
7 206 THE COLONEL, Ph.D
8 187
Forte Agent
9 173 Muggles Mozilla
10 137 Ed Pawlowski Mozilla
11 135 micky
12 130 Tony Hwang
13 117 NEMO
14 115 Edmund J. Burke, Ph.D
15 109 Colonel Edmund Burke
16 108 The Peeler
17 98 philo
18 90 Bob F
19 81 taxed and spent
20 76 DerbyDad03
21 71 rbowman Mozilla
22 56 Dean Hoffman
23 56 Tekkie®
24 55 Ashton Crusher
25 52 Ewald Böhm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2015 9:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

Top Threads

Ranking Articles Subject
------- -------- ----------------------------------
1 312 EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's
being tested?
2 203 off topic: new car advice for senior
3 176 DISH network tip.
4 155 OT Technology rant
5 138 AAA auto club
6 122 Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. Is it
malpractice?
7 103 how much should I be charging for these shared
appliances..
8 98 Another bad day for RINOs
9 97 What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?
10 92 [OT] Communicating without grid power

CY: Amazing, out of the top ten threads, one (the tile
repair) was on home repair. Sadly, I am one of the
violators. My apologies.

Top Posters

Ranking Articles Name Most Used Newsreader
------- -------- -------------------------- --------------------
1 434 Don Y Mozilla
2 339 Uncle Monster G2
3 306 Oren Forte Agent
4 246 trader_4
5 245 Stormin Mormon Mozilla

CY: Well, if nothing else, I did slow down my posting
rate, a bit. Thank you for compiling this. I resolve
to try and do better, in terms of staying on topic.

That said, my kitchen sink is flowing nicely. After
three days work. I'd put it off for twenty years, and
that was why.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

I only see a few OT postings, and those are generally "real" info. Each time someone starts something stupid or replies to it, I put them in my filter. I'm sure I'm missing some good info, but that's the trade-off. No offense to anyone but I have put 3 of the top 5 posters in the filter. If they have something worthwhile to read, someone else generally copies it in a reply and I can read it then.

Top Threads

Ranking Articles Subject
------- -------- ----------------------------------
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 6:05 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I only see a few OT postings, and those are generally "real" info. Each time someone starts something stupid or replies to it, I put them in my filter. I'm sure I'm missing some good info, but that's the trade-off. No offense to anyone but I have put 3 of the top 5 posters in the filter. If they have something worthwhile to read, someone else generally copies it in a reply and I can read it then.

You should put Oren in there for being a mother ****er.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 8:05:35 AM UTC-5, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
[...]

Snuffy is complaining about "top posters", how ironic. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Post Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 8:50 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I got a giggle out of reading the "bidet" thread, but have been busy
with projects around the house. We're building a wood frame green house
to replace the hoop house. I bought my own 18V Ryobi 5½" circular saw
and a drill to go with it. Built a walkway deck and a step into the work
shop. I'm getting a lot of use out of the drill. All the trips to Home
Depot for wood and moving the wood to the back yard has my arms and
elbows sore! I can't pick up much wood at one time, but I get some
exercise helping with what I can move. One good thing is I've been
taking glucosamine every day and it really helps all the old joints from
aching! I think all the low impact exercise has lowered my blood sugar
readings, too, and almost too low, occasionally.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Do you know what is optimum dose of GS a day according to hospital trial
in the '80's. 1500mg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 9:58:18 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I took some Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets years ago but I don't recall if it really helped me because I was so active at the time. I had high blood sugar during that same period and decided to do something about it by eschewing any sugar sweetened beverage which meant giving up sweet iced tea, my beloved Mountain Dew and all other sugar sweetened soft drinks. I switched to diet soft drinks, lost 100 lbs in 2 months and my blood sugar dropped into a more normal range. Now my blood sugar is always normal unless I consume something very sweet but it never reaches 200 and soon drops back to normal. I may try some Glucosamine and Chondroitin again but I've found that the more sleep I get, the less pain I'm in. Good luck with your projects. You must post pictures. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Arthritic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

It looks like this is something tabulated client-side? So,
just reflects *your* particular news server connection(s)?
I.e., is not really "authoritative" -- if your news server
never sees a post (or a newsgroup!), that wouldn't be
reflected in these figures?

I'm looking for a (somewhat authoritative) source of these
sorts of figures so I can determine how many posts my
"news agent" is opting not to show to me.

It appears that your totals are reflecting what you are
seeing from the Eternal September server?

[I guess I could just install XanaNews and see what it tells me]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 13:46:35 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

It looks like this is something tabulated client-side? So,
just reflects *your* particular news server connection(s)?
I.e., is not really "authoritative" -- if your news server
never sees a post (or a newsgroup!), that wouldn't be
reflected in these figures?

I'm looking for a (somewhat authoritative) source of these
sorts of figures so I can determine how many posts my
"news agent" is opting not to show to me.

It appears that your totals are reflecting what you are
seeing from the Eternal September server?

[I guess I could just install XanaNews and see what it tells me]

The numbers are generalities, Figures and subjects cross end of the
month numbers... some subjects and postings carry over into the next
month if I understand it correctly.

Why is it even necessary to post them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

It looks like this is something tabulated client-side? So,
just reflects *your* particular news server connection(s)?
I.e., is not really "authoritative" -- if your news server
never sees a post (or a newsgroup!), that wouldn't be
reflected in these figures?

I'm looking for a (somewhat authoritative) source of these
sorts of figures so I can determine how many posts my
"news agent" is opting not to show to me.

It appears that your totals are reflecting what you are
seeing from the Eternal September server?

[I guess I could just install XanaNews and see what it tells me]

The numbers are generalities, Figures and subjects cross end of the
month numbers... some subjects and postings carry over into the next
month if I understand it correctly.

ISTM that this is done *in* a news reader (client). I.e., it
simply totals the numbers of posts, authors, etc. between two
points in time. I.e., anyone could perform this calculation
manually -- or, have their news reader collect the data on their
behalf.

But, as it is a client-side operation, the numbers only reflect what
that user sees at that news server, etc. It's "second hand" data.

Why is it even necessary to post them?

No idea. But, if someone is periodically posting them, then that's
one less thing I have to "count" in order to determine how well my
"agent" is operating. E.g., I can count what my news agent shows
*me* and compare that to what "others" are seeing -- the difference
reflects the amount of cruft that is being discarded, here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
[...]

XanaNews Just downloaded it. What a farce. It won't send messages
and won't let me delete old posts. Help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 16:15:30 -0600, Akmar Raggyhead
wrote:

XanaNews Just downloaded it. What a farce. It won't send messages
and won't let me delete old posts. Help!

You have an ID-10-T error. Did you install it after the download? A
12 year old next door can help you.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

Akmar Raggyhead wrote:

XanaNews Just downloaded it. What a farce. It won't send messages
and won't let me delete old posts. Help!

Try using AIOE since that doesn't require authentication to send
messages.

Delete messages by hitting the Delete key on your keyboard. You can
also configure it to hide read messages. There is a Purge option to
permanently remove deleted messages. I use the Batch option to clear
out messages older than xx days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696
(9/30/2015 11:44:32 PM)

It looks like this is something tabulated client-side? So,
just reflects your particular news server connection(s)?
I.e., is not really "authoritative" -- if your news server
never sees a post (or a newsgroup!), that wouldn't be
reflected in these figures?

I'm looking for a (somewhat authoritative) source of these
sorts of figures so I can determine how many posts my
"news agent" is opting not to show to me.

It appears that your totals are reflecting what you are
seeing from the Eternal September server?

[I guess I could just install XanaNews and see what it tells me]

Yes, it is a report generated by my newsclient Xananews. Generally I
use Albasani as my newsserver, but sometimes I use Eternal-September as
well. Regardless, there are very few messages that may get filtered
out at the server level. Usually they are obvious spam. And if they
are being filtered by the server then you wouldn't see them either, so
what's the difference?

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

According to Google Groups, alt.home.repair had the following
statistics for 09/2015:
Total Posts: 5486
Total Topics: 354

My newsreader tabulated:
Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594

One thing to consider is the x:no-archive bit which some people set.
Since I download the headers daily to my newsreader that setting
doesn't apply. It looks like Google Groups honors that setting, thus
the potential difference in our numbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 8:49:45 AM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

According to Google Groups, alt.home.repair had the following
statistics for 09/2015:
Total Posts: 5486
Total Topics: 354

My newsreader tabulated:
Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594

One thing to consider is the x:no-archive bit which some people set.
Since I download the headers daily to my newsreader that setting
doesn't apply. It looks like Google Groups honors that setting, thus
the potential difference in our numbers.

If a post falls in the newsgroup and the x:no-archive bit is set, does it
make a stat sound?
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

According to Google Groups, alt.home.repair had the following
statistics for 09/2015:
Total Posts: 5486
Total Topics: 354

My newsreader tabulated:
Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594

One thing to consider is the x:no-archive bit which some people set.
Since I download the headers daily to my newsreader that setting
doesn't apply. It looks like Google Groups honors that setting, thus
the potential difference in our numbers.

I'm no expert in this stats thing, so I have a question related to the
x:no-archive bit. My question is stated in the form of a "conclusion", but
it really is a question.

Google Groups: Total Topics: 354
Your newsreader: Number of threads: 430

Assuming Topics and Threads are equivalent, that must mean that 76
Topics/Threads had one of two things associated with them:

1 - They were single post threads where the author had the x:no-archive bit
set, thus the entire thread (which was comprised of a single post) was not
counted by Google.

2 - Every person that was involved with that thread had the x:no-archive bit
set, thus the entire thread (which was comprised of multiple posts) was not
counted by Google.

Both of those situations seem odd. ~18% of all threads fit one of those two
criteria? That seems high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

[...]

I don't know how Google Groups compiles their statistics. What I post
is a function of my newsreader and merely informational, not
authoritative. If you like it great, if you don't then just ignore it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2015 4:43 AM, badgolferman wrote:
Don Y wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696
(9/30/2015 11:44:32 PM)

[...]

My question has to do with where the data originated and how it was
collected. E.g., if I look at *my* server, the numbers WILL be
very different -- because my server intentionally filters what it
chooses to expose to me (if it knows I have no desire to hear
posts filled with pejoratives, it won't even show me that the post
exists!). I've known other operators who have imposed other or
similar criteria on what they pass through for particular groups.

[N.B. I think comms that are distributed via the airwaves (ham)
are thusly filtered.]

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

No need. I can use XanaNews to see what my server tells "me" as
a user and what it would tell a "generic" user (which wouldn't
impose the same filtering constraints). Knowing that you (XanaNews)
are counting posts at the client means I can exploit that mechanism
to do the counting for me (instead of having to grep(1) my server's
logs)

Thanks!