Posted to alt.home.repair

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 09/2015

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 5:47:45 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 10/7/2015 4:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 4:21:26 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 14:46:47 -0500, Muggles wrote:

My dog gets in my face trying to figure out what I just ate

Wonder what dogs think when they do that? "ohhh! love that stinky garlic
smell!!"

Can't say what the dog thinks, but I have farted and he leaves to
room. Maybe he can figure out what stink smells like? Paint was
peeling off the wall.

I've had a dog fart and I left the room, when she ate avocados, and
exuded a gastric disturbance.

ROFLOL!! I have air fresheners strategically placed in every room, and
the dog is usually snoozing away near wherever I'm at. She'll light one
up and I'm dying from the smell!! I get even though by reaching for the
nearest air freshener and spraying her butt and general location. The
dog can move FAST from being sound asleep to in the other room. She
can't stand nice smelling air freshener!

--
Maggie

You want to talk about a thread drifting off topic?

From "statistics for 09/2015" to
kill files to
sore arms to
glucosamine to
diabetes to
service dogs to
dog farts

I'm sure I missed something along the way...

It's been kind of a funny thread at certain points.

--
Maggie

Do you know of anyone who's forced another person to read a thread? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Poot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 3:41:51 AM UTC-5, Uncle Poop Meister wrote:
On 10/08/2015 12:19 AM, Muggles wrote:

I had to remind my son that his body was like an engine. If you don't
add fuel it's going to quit running. He'd eat junk food and then forget
to eat altogether at times. Then he'd ask me why he felt so bad all the
time.

Kids run on pizza, nothing else.

Is that you Wacky Zacky? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pizza Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

From "statistics for 09/2015" to
kill files to
sore arms to
glucosamine to
diabetes to
service dogs to
dog farts

I'm sure I missed something along the way...

It's been kind of a funny thread at certain points.

--
Maggie

Do you know of anyone who's forced another person to read a thread? ^_^

Please add irrelevant comments to the list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 11:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/7/2015 9:19 PM, Muggles wrote:

[...]
If you have no *desire* to eat, how will a timer "make you hungry"
(WANT to eat?).

Is no desire to eat a result of a physical thing, or because you just
get focused on tasks?

Being preoccupied plays a big role -- easily NOT distracted!
The time required (away from the task at hand) to prepare that
meal is also a consideration (do I *really* want to take a
30-60 minute break, now, JUST to eat??).

But, I also tend not to *get* "hungry" -- thirsty, yes (so, I
get up frequently to make a fresh cup of tea -- something that
takes just a minute or two).

I keep small containers of small snacks or meals in the frig so I don't
have to spend much time preparing food. Eat it cold or warm it up in the
microwave for a minute and I'm good to go.

Isn't that like telling someone who is constipated to set a timer
to remember to sh*t?? : (even if he doesn't "have to"?)

I had to remind my son that his body was like an engine. If you don't
add fuel it's going to quit running. He'd eat junk food and then forget
to eat altogether at times. Then he'd ask me why he felt so bad all the
time.

I don't "feel bad", generally. If I'm digging in the yard or working
on the roof -- something that is physically strenuous and/or exposes
me to the heat -- then I will get "run down" and tend to want to
stuff something *quick* in my belly. But, if doing research,
writing code, etc. -- sedentary activities -- my body appears to be
able to make every calorie last a long time!

I'm also not a "nervous eater" -- I don't tend to sit down with a
bag of chips and mindlessly eat them until the bag is empty (I don't
eat any of these sorts of snacks). I tend to need my hands free and
clean to do whatever I'm doing at the time so "snacking" requires
lots of time "cleaning up" between nibbles.

I keep a can of unsalted unprocessed whole mixed nuts for when I need an
in between meal snack. The Dr. told me it was good for keeping my sugar
readings steady.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 3:41 AM, Uncle Poop Meister wrote:
On 10/08/2015 12:19 AM, Muggles wrote:

I had to remind my son that his body was like an engine. If you don't
add fuel it's going to quit running. He'd eat junk food and then forget
to eat altogether at times. Then he'd ask me why he felt so bad all the
time.

Kids run on pizza, nothing else.

Mine ran on tacos and chaluplas for years!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 8:01 AM, Muggles wrote:

Being preoccupied plays a big role -- easily NOT distracted!
The time required (away from the task at hand) to prepare that
meal is also a consideration (do I *really* want to take a
30-60 minute break, now, JUST to eat??).

But, I also tend not to *get* "hungry" -- thirsty, yes (so, I
get up frequently to make a fresh cup of tea -- something that
takes just a minute or two).

I keep small containers of small snacks or meals in the frig so I don't
have to spend much time preparing food. Eat it cold or warm it up in the
microwave for a minute and I'm good to go.

I'll do that with eggrolls (we will make many dozens at a time and
then freeze them; reheat in microwave). Or, "spaghetti sauce"
(I make 4G at a time and freeze in 3C containers so I can always
make pasta or pizza; if a Bolognese sauce, then I'll throw some
on a roll and make a grinder/sloppy joe sort of treat/open faced
sandwich/pizza). Likewise "cereal" (cheerios or rice k) -- I'll
empty a big box in 3 "meals" along with the lion's share of a G of milk!

Eating like this is just as bad as NOT eating.

I don't "feel bad", generally. If I'm digging in the yard or working
on the roof -- something that is physically strenuous and/or exposes
me to the heat -- then I will get "run down" and tend to want to
stuff something *quick* in my belly. But, if doing research,
writing code, etc. -- sedentary activities -- my body appears to be
able to make every calorie last a long time!

I'm also not a "nervous eater" -- I don't tend to sit down with a
bag of chips and mindlessly eat them until the bag is empty (I don't
eat any of these sorts of snacks). I tend to need my hands free and
clean to do whatever I'm doing at the time so "snacking" requires
lots of time "cleaning up" between nibbles.

I keep a can of unsalted unprocessed whole mixed nuts for when I need an
in between meal snack. The Dr. told me it was good for keeping my sugar
readings steady.

If I sit down to peanuts or cashews, I will end up eating the entire
container to the exclusion of anything *else*! Then, wait for my body to
convert it to "peanut butter" at the other end :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 1:46 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Lately I've gotten a bit creative. I'll buy 2 single serving size
cheese pizzas at the Whole Foods store and freeze them. Then when I
want a pizza I'll add my own veggies to it that I've cut up fresh and
frozen the portions I didn't use with a previous pizza. I like fresh
green peppers, red onions, yellow squash, zucchini, and fresh mushrooms,
so I'll add a small portion of each one to my pizza, sprinkle it with
some Italian seasoning, sprinkle some fresh slivered Parmesan cheese
over top the veggies and bake at 425° for about 14 mins. It's a good
balance of a meal and not many carbs, and is small enough for one
serving, or I can share it and just eat half.

[...]

I don't have peanuts in my nuts mix, but I'll occasionally buy some
roasted peanuts in the shell for snacks.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 7:59 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

We buy pita breads (and things similarly sized) or whole wheat
tortillas and freeze them. I like a bit more bread under a
pizza but SWMBO prefers the thinner/crisper tortilla base.

When ready to eat, pull them out of freezer and cover with mozarella,
sprinkle garlic powder, basil and oregano. Heat to melt. Remove from
oven and coat with Marinara sauce. Then, onions, olives, mushrooms.
Top with shredded pecorino romano cheese and grated parmessan. Then,
back into the toaster oven to brown (and melt top cheese).

Relatively simple/quick to make. And, not much by way of cleanup.
But, enough work that we don't fall in the habit of making them
daily!

If we *really* want to make a pizza, I'll make the dough from scratch
and make something much more substantial (thick crust/deep dish). But,
as I'm not keen on leftovers, we only do this when we expect to be
able to share with others.

[Make extra dough and use it to make "fried dough" or pizza frita.
(I much prefer the simpler fried dough -- with granulated sugar!)]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 10:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

My dad used to make fried dough like that, and he had a sweet tooth and
loved home made cookies, too, right from the oven.

Oh, he also made pineapple or corn fritters, too. mmmmmm! Can't eat
them any more though. Too much fat in them.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 9:02 PM, Muggles wrote:
[Make extra dough and use it to make "fried dough" or pizza frita.
(I much prefer the simpler fried dough -- with granulated sugar!)]

My dad used to make fried dough like that, and he had a sweet tooth and
loved home made cookies, too, right from the oven.

In grade school, knew most of the women who worked in the school
cafeteria. On days when pizza was on the menu, they would make
fried dough (for themselves) before lunch. I'd sneak into the
cafeteria early and get treated to a piece or two.

Most folks would look at it and turn their noses up: "What's THAT?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

From "statistics for 09/2015" to
kill files to
sore arms to
glucosamine to
diabetes to
service dogs to
dog farts

I'm sure I missed something along the way...

It's been kind of a funny thread at certain points.

--
Maggie

Do you know of anyone who's forced another person to read a thread? ^_^

Please add irrelevant comments to the list.

What about all the irreverent comments? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Heathen Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 10:01:35 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 10/8/2015 3:41 AM, Uncle Poop Meister wrote:
On 10/08/2015 12:19 AM, Muggles wrote:

I had to remind my son that his body was like an engine. If you don't
add fuel it's going to quit running. He'd eat junk food and then forget
to eat altogether at times. Then he'd ask me why he felt so bad all the
time.

Kids run on pizza, nothing else.

Mine ran on tacos and chaluplas for years!

--
Maggie

Hey Muggs, I think I have a fanboi. A fanboi troll is something to be cultivated and cherished. I wonder if this one will show any imagination and literary talent? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Troll Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 1:46:48 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
[...]

EEEUUUW! You do at least chew the nuts thoroughly so there are no bumps when it exits your tailpipe? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Shocked Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 11:18:28 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 10/8/2015 9:02 PM, Muggles wrote:
[Make extra dough and use it to make "fried dough" or pizza frita.
(I much prefer the simpler fried dough -- with granulated sugar!)]

My dad used to make fried dough like that, and he had a sweet tooth and
loved home made cookies, too, right from the oven.

In grade school, knew most of the women who worked in the school
cafeteria. On days when pizza was on the menu, they would make
fried dough (for themselves) before lunch. I'd sneak into the
cafeteria early and get treated to a piece or two.

Most folks would look at it and turn their noses up: "What's THAT?"

When I get out of here and make it home, there are a number of things I want to try out in the kitchen. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXqIHZzr04E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPWLhD-HE2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYNueoNqv6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alx4xa8pTtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_0CsfgSHEs

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 12:18:28 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
On 10/8/2015 9:02 PM, Muggles wrote:
[Make extra dough and use it to make "fried dough" or pizza frita.
(I much prefer the simpler fried dough -- with granulated sugar!)]

My dad used to make fried dough like that, and he had a sweet tooth and
loved home made cookies, too, right from the oven.

In grade school, knew most of the women who worked in the school
cafeteria. On days when pizza was on the menu, they would make
fried dough (for themselves) before lunch. I'd sneak into the
cafeteria early and get treated to a piece or two.

Most folks would look at it and turn their noses up: "What's THAT?"

I used to work in a McDonalds. When were there before opening or after closing we would make
grilled cheese sandwiches by turning the buns inside out, putting cheese in between and then
squishing/toasting them in the bun toaster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 11:18 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/8/2015 9:02 PM, Muggles wrote:
[Make extra dough and use it to make "fried dough" or pizza frita.
(I much prefer the simpler fried dough -- with granulated sugar!)]

My dad used to make fried dough like that, and he had a sweet tooth and
loved home made cookies, too, right from the oven.

In grade school, knew most of the women who worked in the school
cafeteria. On days when pizza was on the menu, they would make
fried dough (for themselves) before lunch. I'd sneak into the
cafeteria early and get treated to a piece or two.

Most folks would look at it and turn their noses up: "What's THAT?"

LOL More for you!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2015 2:55 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 10:01:35 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 10/8/2015 3:41 AM, Uncle Poop Meister wrote:
On 10/08/2015 12:19 AM, Muggles wrote:

I had to remind my son that his body was like an engine. If you don't
add fuel it's going to quit running. He'd eat junk food and then forget
to eat altogether at times. Then he'd ask me why he felt so bad all the
time.

Kids run on pizza, nothing else.

Mine ran on tacos and chaluplas for years!

--
Maggie

Hey Muggs, I think I have a fanboi. A fanboi troll is something to be cultivated and cherished. I wonder if this one will show any imagination and literary talent? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Troll Monster

Will the REAL Monster pls raise your hand?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 10:30:23 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

You can always tell by my picture. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ape Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2015 3:22 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Are you the one with the white beard?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 10:57:43 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Don't you see my profile picture? I'm the big ape giving everyone the finger. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ape MOnster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2015 12:10 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

oh yeah. I've seen that.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 10:34:44 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I posted that same picture on the hospital patient site as being me. I couldn't help it. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2015 6:07 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I bet you'd be fun to have as a partner in a team game of spades!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 10:47:19 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 10/12/2015 6:07 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I posted that same picture on the hospital patient site as being me. I couldn't help it. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster

I bet you'd be fun to have as a partner in a team game of spades!
--
Maggie

There are two ways to fight off depression, one is anger, the other is humor. I've used both but the latter method is less stressful. Being somewhat inappropriate and irreverent is a great way to create humorous situations. I can't help it because of the two opposing forces controlling my behavior. As long as the two forces are in balance most people believe me sane. The problem stems from the fact that I've a little angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other with both vying for my attention. All too often the little devil wins. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Wicked Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2015 5:19 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I think I've been there and done that myself a few times!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 6:20:00 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing that you and Christopher Titus would have made an interesting
couple.

Start to listen at 2:40 as he builds to his solution at 3:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5lwK9UAY8
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

It looks like this is something tabulated client-side? So,
just reflects *your* particular news server connection(s)?
I.e., is not really "authoritative" -- if your news server
never sees a post (or a newsgroup!), that wouldn't be
reflected in these figures?

I'm looking for a (somewhat authoritative) source of these
sorts of figures so I can determine how many posts my
"news agent" is opting not to show to me.

It appears that your totals are reflecting what you are
seeing from the Eternal September server?

[I guess I could just install XanaNews and see what it tells me]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 13:46:35 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

It looks like this is something tabulated client-side? So,
just reflects *your* particular news server connection(s)?
I.e., is not really "authoritative" -- if your news server
never sees a post (or a newsgroup!), that wouldn't be
reflected in these figures?

I'm looking for a (somewhat authoritative) source of these
sorts of figures so I can determine how many posts my
"news agent" is opting not to show to me.

It appears that your totals are reflecting what you are
seeing from the Eternal September server?

[I guess I could just install XanaNews and see what it tells me]

The numbers are generalities, Figures and subjects cross end of the
month numbers... some subjects and postings carry over into the next
month if I understand it correctly.

Why is it even necessary to post them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
11:44:32 PM)

It looks like this is something tabulated client-side? So,
just reflects *your* particular news server connection(s)?
I.e., is not really "authoritative" -- if your news server
never sees a post (or a newsgroup!), that wouldn't be
reflected in these figures?

I'm looking for a (somewhat authoritative) source of these
sorts of figures so I can determine how many posts my
"news agent" is opting not to show to me.

It appears that your totals are reflecting what you are
seeing from the Eternal September server?

[I guess I could just install XanaNews and see what it tells me]

The numbers are generalities, Figures and subjects cross end of the
month numbers... some subjects and postings carry over into the next
month if I understand it correctly.

ISTM that this is done *in* a news reader (client). I.e., it
simply totals the numbers of posts, authors, etc. between two
points in time. I.e., anyone could perform this calculation
manually -- or, have their news reader collect the data on their
behalf.

But, as it is a client-side operation, the numbers only reflect what
that user sees at that news server, etc. It's "second hand" data.

Why is it even necessary to post them?

No idea. But, if someone is periodically posting them, then that's
one less thing I have to "count" in order to determine how well my
"agent" is operating. E.g., I can count what my news agent shows
*me* and compare that to what "others" are seeing -- the difference
reflects the amount of cruft that is being discarded, here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696 (9/30/2015
[...]

XanaNews Just downloaded it. What a farce. It won't send messages
and won't let me delete old posts. Help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 16:15:30 -0600, Akmar Raggyhead
wrote:

XanaNews Just downloaded it. What a farce. It won't send messages
and won't let me delete old posts. Help!

You have an ID-10-T error. Did you install it after the download? A
12 year old next door can help you.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

XanaNews Just downloaded it. What a farce. It won't send messages
and won't let me delete old posts. Help!

You have an ID-10-T error. Did you install it after the download? A
12 year old next door can help you.

Make more sense and I will answer you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 7:14:17 PM UTC-5, Akmar Raggyhead wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:34:39 -0700, Oren wrote:

You have an ID-10-T error. Did you install it after the download? A
12 year old next door can help you.

Make more sense and I will answer you.

You're asking a lot of him. 💩
Posted to alt.home.repair

Akmar Raggyhead wrote:

XanaNews Just downloaded it. What a farce. It won't send messages
and won't let me delete old posts. Help!

Try using AIOE since that doesn't require authentication to send
messages.

Delete messages by hitting the Delete key on your keyboard. You can
also configure it to hide read messages. There is a Purge option to
permanently remove deleted messages. I use the Batch option to clear
out messages older than xx days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:

Hi,

On 10/1/2015 6:19 PM, badgolferman wrote:
XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 10/1/2015 9:18:32 PM

From article 700122 (9/1/2015 12:00:42 AM) to article 705696
(9/30/2015 11:44:32 PM)

It looks like this is something tabulated client-side? So,
just reflects your particular news server connection(s)?
I.e., is not really "authoritative" -- if your news server
never sees a post (or a newsgroup!), that wouldn't be
reflected in these figures?

I'm looking for a (somewhat authoritative) source of these
sorts of figures so I can determine how many posts my
"news agent" is opting not to show to me.

It appears that your totals are reflecting what you are
seeing from the Eternal September server?

[I guess I could just install XanaNews and see what it tells me]

Yes, it is a report generated by my newsclient Xananews. Generally I
use Albasani as my newsserver, but sometimes I use Eternal-September as
well. Regardless, there are very few messages that may get filtered
out at the server level. Usually they are obvious spam. And if they
are being filtered by the server then you wouldn't see them either, so
what's the difference?

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

According to Google Groups, alt.home.repair had the following
statistics for 09/2015:
Total Posts: 5486
Total Topics: 354

My newsreader tabulated:
Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594

One thing to consider is the x:no-archive bit which some people set.
Since I download the headers daily to my newsreader that setting
doesn't apply. It looks like Google Groups honors that setting, thus
the potential difference in our numbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 8:49:45 AM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

According to Google Groups, alt.home.repair had the following
statistics for 09/2015:
Total Posts: 5486
Total Topics: 354

My newsreader tabulated:
Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594

One thing to consider is the x:no-archive bit which some people set.
Since I download the headers daily to my newsreader that setting
doesn't apply. It looks like Google Groups honors that setting, thus
the potential difference in our numbers.

If a post falls in the newsgroup and the x:no-archive bit is set, does it
make a stat sound?
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

According to Google Groups, alt.home.repair had the following
statistics for 09/2015:
Total Posts: 5486
Total Topics: 354

My newsreader tabulated:
Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594

One thing to consider is the x:no-archive bit which some people set.
Since I download the headers daily to my newsreader that setting
doesn't apply. It looks like Google Groups honors that setting, thus
the potential difference in our numbers.

I'm no expert in this stats thing, so I have a question related to the
x:no-archive bit. My question is stated in the form of a "conclusion", but
it really is a question.

Google Groups: Total Topics: 354
Your newsreader: Number of threads: 430

Assuming Topics and Threads are equivalent, that must mean that 76
Topics/Threads had one of two things associated with them:

1 - They were single post threads where the author had the x:no-archive bit
set, thus the entire thread (which was comprised of a single post) was not
counted by Google.

2 - Every person that was involved with that thread had the x:no-archive bit
set, thus the entire thread (which was comprised of multiple posts) was not
counted by Google.

Both of those situations seem odd. ~18% of all threads fit one of those two
criteria? That seems high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

[...]

I don't know how Google Groups compiles their statistics. What I post
is a function of my newsreader and merely informational, not
authoritative. If you like it great, if you don't then just ignore it.