Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 09/2015

On 10/8/2015 10:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/8/2015 7:59 PM, Muggles wrote:
I'll do that with eggrolls (we will make many dozens at a time and
then freeze them; reheat in microwave). Or, "spaghetti sauce"
(I make 4G at a time and freeze in 3C containers so I can always
make pasta or pizza; if a Bolognese sauce, then I'll throw some
on a roll and make a grinder/sloppy joe sort of treat/open faced
sandwich/pizza). Likewise "cereal" (cheerios or rice k) -- I'll
empty a big box in 3 "meals" along with the lion's share of a G of milk!

Eating like this is just as bad as NOT eating.

Lately I've gotten a bit creative. I'll buy 2 single serving size
cheese pizzas at the Whole Foods store and freeze them. Then when I
want a pizza I'll add my own veggies to it that I've cut up fresh and
frozen the portions I didn't use with a previous pizza. I like fresh
green peppers, red onions, yellow squash, zucchini, and fresh mushrooms,
so I'll add a small portion of each one to my pizza, sprinkle it with
some Italian seasoning, sprinkle some fresh slivered Parmesan cheese
over top the veggies and bake at 425° for about 14 mins. It's a good
balance of a meal and not many carbs, and is small enough for one
serving, or I can share it and just eat half.

We buy pita breads (and things similarly sized) or whole wheat
tortillas and freeze them. I like a bit more bread under a
pizza but SWMBO prefers the thinner/crisper tortilla base.

When ready to eat, pull them out of freezer and cover with mozarella,
sprinkle garlic powder, basil and oregano. Heat to melt. Remove from
oven and coat with Marinara sauce. Then, onions, olives, mushrooms.
Top with shredded pecorino romano cheese and grated parmessan. Then,
back into the toaster oven to brown (and melt top cheese).

Relatively simple/quick to make. And, not much by way of cleanup.
But, enough work that we don't fall in the habit of making them
daily!

If we *really* want to make a pizza, I'll make the dough from scratch
and make something much more substantial (thick crust/deep dish). But,
as I'm not keen on leftovers, we only do this when we expect to be
able to share with others.

[Make extra dough and use it to make "fried dough" or pizza frita.
(I much prefer the simpler fried dough -- with granulated sugar!)]

My dad used to make fried dough like that, and he had a sweet tooth and
loved home made cookies, too, right from the oven.

Oh, he also made pineapple or corn fritters, too. mmmmmm! Can't eat
them any more though. Too much fat in them.

--
Maggie