Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 09/2015

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 8:49:45 AM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

Perhaps you should access Google Groups and inspect the newsgroup's
statistics there. Maybe it will suit your purposes better than what I
post to the group. There used to be a way to view that data in the
older version of Google Groups.

According to Google Groups, alt.home.repair had the following
statistics for 09/2015:
Total Posts: 5486
Total Topics: 354

My newsreader tabulated:
Number of threads ................... 430
Number of articles .................. 5594

One thing to consider is the x:no-archive bit which some people set.
Since I download the headers daily to my newsreader that setting
doesn't apply. It looks like Google Groups honors that setting, thus
the potential difference in our numbers.

I'm no expert in this stats thing, so I have a question related to the
x:no-archive bit. My question is stated in the form of a "conclusion", but
it really is a question.

Google Groups: Total Topics: 354
Your newsreader: Number of threads: 430

Assuming Topics and Threads are equivalent, that must mean that 76
Topics/Threads had one of two things associated with them:

1 - They were single post threads where the author had the x:no-archive bit
set, thus the entire thread (which was comprised of a single post) was not
counted by Google.

2 - Every person that was involved with that thread had the x:no-archive bit
set, thus the entire thread (which was comprised of multiple posts) was not
counted by Google.

Both of those situations seem odd. ~18% of all threads fit one of those two
criteria? That seems high.