Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 09/2015

On 10/4/2015 2:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 9:58:18 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 10/3/2015 8:50 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Snuffy is complaining about "top posters", how ironic. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Post Monster

I got a giggle out of reading the "bidet" thread, but have been busy
with projects around the house. We're building a wood frame green house
to replace the hoop house. I bought my own 18V Ryobi 5½" circular saw
and a drill to go with it. Built a walkway deck and a step into the work
shop. I'm getting a lot of use out of the drill. All the trips to Home
Depot for wood and moving the wood to the back yard has my arms and
elbows sore! I can't pick up much wood at one time, but I get some
exercise helping with what I can move. One good thing is I've been
taking glucosamine every day and it really helps all the old joints from
aching! I think all the low impact exercise has lowered my blood sugar
readings, too, and almost too low, occasionally.

--
Maggie

I took some Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets years ago but I don't recall
if it really helped me because I was so active at the time. I had high blood
sugar during that same period and decided to do something about it by eschewing
any sugar sweetened beverage which meant giving up sweet iced tea, my beloved
Mountain Dew and all other sugar sweetened soft drinks. I switched to diet soft
drinks, lost 100 lbs in 2 months and my blood sugar dropped into a more normal
range. Now my blood sugar is always normal unless I consume something very sweet
but it never reaches 200 and soon drops back to normal.

My maternal grandparents were both full blown diabetics who had to use
insulin shots every day. When I was a teen I was told because of my
family history that I'd eventually be diabetic, too, and I really didn't
have much choice in the matter. As a young adult I was hypoglycemic for
about 20+/- years. I'd have low bs events where it would drop suddenly
and I wouldn't be able to communicate with words, so I would always try
to make sure I'd eat regularly. A few times I missed the window to eat
and I'd end up in a public place as my sugar would take a dive (and I
was out of snacks I'd carry with me). Someone would usually witness me
go ashen, and they'd see a panic in my eyes that something was wrong. I
would have to work to find the word "food" and they'd say "YOU NEED to
eat something??" I'd nod "YES!", and they'd run to get me something.
Often times they'd have to put the food to my mouth for the first few
bites. Maybe, 20 mins. would go by and then I'd be back to normal.
Somewhere along the way my pancreas needed a jump start and that's when
the Dr. told I'd crossed over the line to type 2.

The thing about type 2 is Dr's kept telling me my BS tested normal
whenever I'd be in the Dr's office and I was supposed to run to the Dr's
office when I felt it drop or go wonky so they could test it, but I
COULDN'T drive until it normalized again. It took me some years to
figure out what combination of foods I needed to consume so it wouldn't
go low OR higher than normal. Now, it's under control with diet, but I
still have the metformin I can take if it jumps unexpectedly.

I may try some Glucosamine
and Chondroitin again but I've found that the more sleep I get, the less pain I'm
in. Good luck with your projects. You must post pictures. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Arthritic Monster

I ended up trying these glucosamine chews. They are like a soft taffy
type chew that you can take 3 at one time, or chew one at a time
throughout the day. I checked on the reviews and people said it helped
them, so it appears they weren't making it up because I've much less
pain in my joints now.

--
Maggie