Posted to alt.home.repair

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 9/27/2015 11:21 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/27/2015 10:09 AM, Muggles wrote:
Miata? They seem a big small to me.

When the Fiero first came out, I went to look at one. The saleman who
had sold me a Firebird a couple of years before yelled across the
showroom 'They don't make that in your size'.

lol

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2015 11:54 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/27/2015 10:07 AM, Muggles wrote:
Can't a Beetle be reliable and safe?

The reliability ratings haven't been that great but the ratings
themselves can be unreliable. 'The bud vase is crooked' gets the same
weight as 'the transmission dropped out on the pavement.' The Golf is
the same platform and has better ratings leading some to suggest New
Beetle drivers are pickier.

I hear good and bad stuff about every car I've considered buying. sigh

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 10:30:12 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 9/27/2015 7:11 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 4:26:33 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 9/27/2015 2:15 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Well hell, the only vehicles left running after the coming EMP attack
will be diesels with the simple mechanical fuel delivery and engine
controls..

I don;t worry about an EMP -- I suspect I will have more pressing concerns
in that case than worrying about a vehicle!

The problem with the architecture of many car control systems is they
don't physically (or even logically) partition subsystems so that a
compromise of one can't compromise the others!

E.g., most "hacks" access the car's control infrastructure through the
entertainment/navigation systems -- things that should have no reason for
*talking* to the brakes, engine controls, steering, etc. Yet, because
this wasn't accurately considered as a potential attack surface during the
design, there are no/few precautions to protect against such attacks after
the fact.

This is the sort of naive thinking (full of unspoken ASSUMPTIONS) that
leads to big-time problems down the road.

By way of a different, though similar, example, most businesses employ
firewalls to "keep intruders out". They block INBOUND connections to the
machines *inside* their firewall.

But, they ignore the fact that a machine *inside* the firewall can
(typically) initiate a connection to damn near any other machine *outside*
the firewall. And, once that connection is (intentionally) established --
by malware -- the inside machine is now *past* the firewall yet under the
control of some outside entity.

Ooops!

I must state that I'm not a conspiracy nut, just a regular nut. I've noticed
a pattern over the years of the intrusion of technology into every aspect of
the lives of people. People are willingly giving up privacy and control of
their lives to new technology which in turn can allow government to control
people. Do as you're told or government will turn off your car, travel, ID,
money, computer, phone, housing, utilities, benefits, health care and
anything else a government gets its hooks into.

People are primarily turning over control to *corporations*. Those folks
have LESS constraints on what they can do with that than the gummit. And,
they represent convenient "one stop shopping" for the spooks to go
poking around with a secret writ -- so you (ALL!) have no idea that a
search is even under way!

Basically, people are
falling all over themselves to give the government the ability to take away
their rights, freedom and liberty at the push of a button.

Blame much of this on the Patriot Act: "Oooo! Protect me from the bad guys!"

If a government
can easily take something from you, a run of the mill criminal can do the
same.. I'm sure others have noticed a pattern of government using new
technology to exert control over the lives of a citizenry who're are
completely oblivious to it. Geez! o_O

The problem is more fundamental than conspiracies.

With increasing levels of technology, more things are economically
feasible. E.g., when the PSTN was largely an analog device, a
wiretap required physical access to the wires servicing the individual
in question. Once the PSTN went digital, that "voice" is now just
so many "bits" on a virtual circuit. Additional virtual circuits
can be created at will -- no "wire" involved. So, calls from any
number of "taps" can be routed to anyone, anywhere for free.

Electronic funds transfers make it easy for folks to observe where
monies are being moved. Previously, you had to watch a "paper
instrument" (treasury notes, cashier's checks, etc.) make a
physical journey to know the actual recipient.

When "communications" were written on sheafs of paper and
encapsulated in envelopes that were physically transfered
from sender to recipient, you had to physically intercept those
transfers to see what was being said. And, be aware of EVERY
means by which those transfers could take place (USPS, FedEx,
courier, etc.). With email, they're just bits that can
clandestinely be copied and routed to alternative locations.
No need to examine an envelope to see if it has been tampered with!

When a mechanical linkage connected the gas peddle to the
throttle, you had to exert physical force on that linkage,
at some point, in order to influence the vehicles speed
(indirectly). When the accelerator is just a position *sensor*
that feeds "data" to a computer, then anything that can spoof that
data can pretend to be the accelerator.

The folks making these design decisions are also blissfully
ignorant/unconcerned with these possibilities -- or their consequences!
That's where the vulnerability creeps in.

I've worked in a lot of different technical fields like broadcast and two way radio, alarm systems, computers, control systems plus telecom and data systems. Basically anything that uses electrons. One of the last things I was doing before I became too ill to work was installing and servicing VoIP telephone systems. Because of this, I tend to look at how to frak with and hack technology like I was writing a spy novel or script for a TV show or spy movie. I see an alarm system and I think,"How can I actually circumvent that thing." When I worked on security systems I tried to think like a crook who wanted to get by it. How can I tap a phone system. How can I intercept or jam radio communications? How can I hack into a wired or WiFi network to frak with the computers? How can I interfere with and cause malfunctions in a control system. I have a song in my head "Think Like A Terrorist" done to the tune,"Walk Like An Egyptian" by the girl group The Bangles. It's very entertaining to daydream about hacking and fraking with technology and even more fun to experiment. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Terrorist Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2015 12:36 AM, rbowman wrote:

We have quite a few Hmong in this area and they favor big pickups. And
big rifles. I wouldn't mess with them, but it is sort of amusing
watching them mounting up.

I wonder some times, with peoples vehicle choices.

As to advice for seniors: Drive several at the
dealer lot, and choose what feels right for you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 19:35:51 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 5:44:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 14:05:16 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:16:28 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
nine tenths of the time, nine tenths of the problems people have (or
had, particularly back in the seventies) are the fault of the dealer
as much as the manufacturer. The dealer was paid a pretty fair price
to do the "per-dilivery inspection and service" before delivering the
car. It usually ended up being a quick wash and detail - with
virtually none of the actual "inspectio and adjustment" specified
being done. The adjustments and repairs were done on a complaints only
basis - and usually the dealer attempted to pawn them off as "warranty
claims" Since in most cases those claims were denied - and rightfully
so since the dealer had already been paid to ensure there were no
problems, the dealers did as little as possible to remedy the
problems, "****ing off" the customer.

They did a good job at that on me. That was the third and last Crysler car
I bought. This car was especially bad in that it would not start. It was
funny. You could crank on it and run the battery all the way down. As it
was a manual transmission and I was living near the top of a hill, I could
get it rolling and pop the clutch and it would start. I had it towed in
about 3 times after running down the battery for them to repair and they
never got it repaired. It might have been the switch not making contact or
something in that start circuit.

I did not mention that when the car came in it had a bad spot on the paint.
The car was dark metalic blue and there was a roughly round spot about 6
inches in diameter that was light blue on the part of the trunk lid that
turns down. The dealer did repaint the trunk when I pointed that out. They
should have caught that before they called me to pick up the car, especially
as I bought it in a town about 20 miles away.

I once owned a Canadian built Cordoba and Detroit built Plymouth Fury. The cars shared a common chassis and mechanical parts but the Chrysler from the plant in Canada was put together better. I believe it had more to do with the caliber of the auto workers at the different plants than the vehicle design. After I sorted out any problems the cars had, they were reliable and relatively trouble free but nothing like a bullet proof 65 Dart. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Car Monster

Canada DOES build some of the best quality cars in the world. And
have for years. Will be interesting to see how next year's camaros
compare - - - -
We built the best Crown Vics, and all of Chrysler's rear drive
vehicles for many years come from "just down the road" in Bramalea
Ontario.

In The U.S we have "Affirmative Action" which means a person is put into a job or position of power and responsibility for reasons other than the content of their character. The best example is our President. In Great Britain it's called "Positive Discrimination" which is a much more accurate description. Is their anything like that in Canada or are important jobs done by those with the most experience, skill and ability to accomplish the task? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Smart Monster

You think YOU have "affirmative action"? It's just as bad (at least)
up here - and so are the unions. Try to fire a no-good after they have
passed probation ----. But on the whole we have an excellent, well
educated workforce..

The important jobs are still done by those with the experience skill
and ability - the credit just goes elsewhere-----------

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I think the biggest problem we have in The States is the tragedy known as "The Dumbassification Of America" and it's widespread. Has Canada been hit with such a tragedy,....yet? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Educated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/27/2015 11:09 PM, Muggles wrote:
I hear good and bad stuff about every car I've considered buying. sigh

My last three cars were declared to be absolutely something to be
avoided by Consumer Reports. I would have bought another Geo (rebranded
Suzuki) but Suzuki's car business was fading fast by then. I did buy
another Yaris after a snowplow ate the first one.

Maybe I'm easy to please. I've only owned one car I was dissatisfied
with, an Audi. To be fair, that was back in the '70s when Volkswagen was
trying to figure out how to build a front wheel drive, water cooled
vehicle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2015 9:12 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/27/2015 11:09 PM, Muggles wrote:
I hear good and bad stuff about every car I've considered buying. sigh

My last three cars were declared to be absolutely something to be
avoided by Consumer Reports. I would have bought another Geo (rebranded
Suzuki) but Suzuki's car business was fading fast by then. I did buy
another Yaris after a snowplow ate the first one.

Maybe I'm easy to please. I've only owned one car I was dissatisfied
with, an Audi. To be fair, that was back in the '70s when Volkswagen was
trying to figure out how to build a front wheel drive, water cooled
vehicle.

I'm easy to please, too, I think. I love my van, but she's getting old.
My kids were raised in that van and there's lots of memories there, too.
My son and hubby keep telling me to get another vehicle, but so far I
haven't found one I could afford and LIKED at the same time! lol

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 10:36:46 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I'm easy to please, too, I think. I love my van, but she's getting old.
My kids were raised in that van and there's lots of memories there, too.

I'm not going there wink
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2015 2:47 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 10:36:46 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I'm easy to please, too, I think. I love my van, but she's getting old.
My kids were raised in that van and there's lots of memories there, too.

I'm not going there wink

haha! {blush}

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 3:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/24/2015 11:38 AM, leza wang wrote:
Sorry for off topic
-------------------

Hi

A friend of mine who is a senior citizen and want to buy a new car to
replace her standard old car. She is very good driver with very clean
driving history. Her current car is Volkswagen golf. She is thinking
of buying a new Volkswagen golf but automatic of course (easier to
drive). Do you have any other recommendation on which car (brand name)
she should consider. Too many options and technologies are not really
required, just basic stuff but most be automatic.

Thank you in advance.

My first consideration, what fits? What is easy enough to get in and
out of?

VW has problems right now but it may be possible to get a huge discount.
Don't know how that will shake out.

I'd consider:
Hyundai Sonata or the smaller Elantra
Toyota Camry or the smaller Corolla
Ford Fusion or the smaller Focus

Price can vary considerably depending if they get a stripped down
version or a fully loaded model. Right now, Hyundai is offering some
good deals on the 2015 Sonata as the 2016 is now hitting the showroom
floor.

There are no really bad cars made these days. Most are dependable and
have a decent warranty but Hyundai has the longest in both time and miles.

Kia has a 100k, 10 year drive train warranty as standard on all their
models. For an additional $2K or so (depending on model) that can be
extended to a factory bumper to bumper warranty. A good deal if you tend
to keep cars for a long time. Whine alot and you can even get a road
hazard warranty thrown in.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2015 7:08 PM, John wrote:
[...]

Never bought an extended warranty. What you are stating is a 40,000
mile warranty, possibly with deductibles I've not had a car in the past
25 years that cost me more than a couple of hundred for repairs in that
time. I'd have ****ed away a lot of money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah - we used to say Canad made political jokes and the USA elected
them - all that has changed since we elected Stevie boy!!.
But yes, the "dummification of America" has spread like most ailments
do. They start on the American left coast and radiate east and North.

Usually hits us about 10 years after the USA, but it gets here. Mabee
if you elect your political joke and he (Trump) builds the "fence" it
will slow down the infection??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 08:12:22 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/27/2015 11:09 PM, Muggles wrote:
I hear good and bad stuff about every car I've considered buying. sigh

My last three cars were declared to be absolutely something to be
avoided by Consumer Reports. I would have bought another Geo (rebranded
Suzuki) but Suzuki's car business was fading fast by then. I did buy
another Yaris after a snowplow ate the first one.

Maybe I'm easy to please. I've only owned one car I was dissatisfied
with, an Audi. To be fair, that was back in the '70s when Volkswagen was
trying to figure out how to build a front wheel drive, water cooled
vehicle.

One of those Audi 100s that punctured it's own tires when you parked
them overnight (when the springs broke)?

We had one sitting on the lot that destroyed 3 tires before it was
sold.

I owned a Pontiac Firenza - a rebranded Vauxhaul Viva HC - everybody
said they were junk - "any f'rez'a yours aint no friends of mine" so I
got it REAL cheap. Friend was going to trade it (1972) on a new Lada
the first year they came to Canada - 1979 - so the Firenza was only 7
years old - and it was a "leftover" '72 - sold late in '73, so it was
rally only six years old - and they were only going to give him $75
for it with about 40,000 miles on it ( friend's wife drove it between
London Ontario and Kitchener going to teacher's college).

I bought it from him for something like $76 - and I still had it when
he was on his third Lada. I sold it to my new wife's friend/neighbour
for a few hundred dollars and she drove it another 7 years.

Parts were dirt cheap and available from GM dealers across Canada.
Clutch pedal broke (cable clutch) and a new one was something like
$6.00 - less than it would have cost to have it welded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 19:08:46 -0400, John wrote:

[...]

Unlike Mitsubishi, the 10 year warranty isn't the only way they can
sell a Kia -----
There are few cars that I wouldn't call GOOD - so I guess there ARE
some "bad" cars. Still better than "good" cars 30 years ago,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Careful, refugees from The U.S.A. could invade Canada if the Presidential election goes wrong. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Refugee Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

In the sixties and seventies we had a LOT of them come up here. Boys
didn't want to go to 'Nam came up in droves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

The military turned me down but older brother went two tours in Nam. He was a Green Beret who still won't talk about some of the things he was involved in a half century ago. Damn, it's been that many years. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Civilian Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 9:07:21 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:

It was Scott Walker who wanted to build the 4000 mile northern fence.
But he dropped out. God had told him to run, and then God told him to
drop out. God, what a woman, always toying with these Republican crazies.

....when Walker heard about the Tex/Mex wall he said, "I can Trump that!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 9:07:21 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:

It was Scott Walker who wanted to build the 4000 mile northern fence.
But he dropped out. God had told him to run, and then God told him to
drop out. God, what a woman, always toying with these Republican crazies.

...when Walker heard about the Tex/Mex wall he said, "I can Trump that!"

One more thing to try. Covering whole CONUS with dome. Should check
their IQ proper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Oct. 19 is federal election day up here. We're under cons. for 10 years.
If they get reelected, Canada will be no longer Canada we used to know.
No where in the world I can see states man like politician any where
these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 08:31:51 -0600, Tony Hwang

wrote in message
[...]

One thing for sure, Harper is no statesman or diplomat.
Too bad Trudeau and Mulchair are not either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

One thing for sure, Harper is no statesman or diplomat. Look at what cons
Too bad Trudeau and Mulchair are not either.

Harper only worked for himself and his friends. Never for Canada or
Canadians. His riding is in Calgary, never did anything for Calgary.
When something bad pops up he blames others, for something good it is to
his credit. He used term "old stock Canada" He is now half way to
ruining that. Look at what what cons. did for Alberta being in power for
40 years. For the better or worse we have to dump them. When we
travel overseas, people wonder what Canada is becoming. Our reputation
is damaged already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:09:10 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

When we
travel overseas, people wonder what Canada is becoming. Our reputation
is damaged already.

Canada is America's attic. A place to hide the crazy Uncle
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

wrote in message
[...]

Did it have the Ricardo Montalban "Rich Cordoba Leather"?
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Wrong leather you silly thing. It's "Corinthian Leather" ^_~

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_leather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o

[8~{} Uncle Leather Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When we
travel overseas, people wonder what Canada is becoming. Our reputation
is damaged already.

Canada is America's attic. A place to hide the crazy Uncle

I often hear earful from academic friends who is well conversed in
Canadian history and culture. Domestically our democratic system is
being eroded. We have now movement called ABC(Anyone but conservative)
We have to cast our vote strategically just to dump him. My son is 31,
he never voted but he says he will this time. Harper blasts at every
opportunity Alberta's new NDP(left of center, socialist) government.
By doing that he insulted people and his home province. He'll lose many
votes for this. NDP was not our choice but we had to get rid of Alberta
cons. In 40 years they have been corrupt to the core. Very incompetent
in every thing do. Now they are almost extinct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I am sorry, being a native Korean, I have no desire to drive Hyundai or
KIA(Hyundai owns KIA by the way) At start up Hyundai's technical mentor
was Mitsubishi. Wife drove Mitsubishi, Eagle Summit once. She collected
most speeding ticket driving this little 2.4 L, AWD model, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-09-29, Tekkie® wrote:

Did it have the Ricardo Montalban "Rich Cordoba Leather"?

Unlikely, as "Cordoba" was the model car and it was upholstered with "rich
Corinthian leather".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKHBB4vt4c

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:01:21 -0600, Tony Hwang

[...]

The Koreans out-japped the Japs. They started with a Mitsubishi and
made a much better vehicle out of it (athough they made some pretty
crappy cars in the process-including the Pony)
You'd be hard pressed to GIVE me a Mitsu. My daughter bought an
Elantra GT. Nice car. A lot less money than my second daughter's Honda
Civic too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/29/2015 3:36 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

snip

We had one in our church. Father Pietlock from N.H. Was a good
priest. He was ordained in Canada. When amnesty came down he returned
home. He knew I spent 3 years in 'Nam but we were chummy. I always
deep in my mind dodgers are sort of cowards.

Those draft-dodgers were smart enough not to get themselves killed in an
undeclared, hopeless, war that was being promoted solely for the
enrichment of defense companies. And of course eventually, like China,
Vietnam turned capitalistic. What a sad waste of 50,000 American lives
and many more on the other side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ssove Mitsubishi, Eagle Summit once. She collected
most speeding ticket driving this little 2.4 L, AWD model, LOL!

The Koreans out-japped the Japs. They started with a Mitsubishi and
made a much better vehicle out of it (athough they made some pretty
crappy cars in the process-including the Pony)
You'd be hard pressed to GIVE me a Mitsu. My daughter bought an
Elantra GT. Nice car. A lot less money than my second daughter's Honda
Civic too.

My wife's niece bought a Santa Fe Limited with full tilt, top of the
line. No major problem but little things keep popping up endlessly from
day 1. She is single, HS teacher. No one to take care of her car
problem(s). Her dad, my BIL is mechanical illiterate. He is known for
buying always loser in car purchases. Asks me often questions, then go
out buy something I did not recommend. Chevy Lumina Van, Dodge Royal
with electrical problem no one could fix, etc. Now his wife, my wife's
sister has to go out with me to buy their car they are now driving.
Nissan Rogue 2WD.
I'd like the car better with V6 or turbo engine. Reliable car. So far
no trouble other than routine maintenance.
Another funny thing with my BIL is he is AFRAID of towing anything. When
I was pulling 30ft fiver, came out with us for camping sleeping in tent.
Cousins were sleeping in the trailer. He wouldn't even buy a tent
trailer which he could use rear view mirror. When I let him try class C
motor home, he literally freaked out. No rear view mirror but side view
ones only, LOL! He was KiWi in the air force. Damn good HVAC engineer.
Very nice guy but he can't even replace a wall switch when it goes bad.
Afraid of height. Without knowing it first time, I ask his help with my
antenna tower. He absolutely refused to go on the roof of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2015 7:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I am sorry, being a native Korean, I have no desire to drive Hyundai or
KIA(Hyundai owns KIA by the way) At start up Hyundai's technical mentor
was Mitsubishi. Wife drove Mitsubishi, Eagle Summit once. She collected
most speeding ticket driving this little 2.4 L, AWD model, LOL!

Why are you sorry?

I used to laugh at people buying the original Hyundai Excels. the little
boxes that the paint wore off of. Then they changed. I bought a US
built Sonata Limited in 2007, 2010, 2013. I liked each one more than
the last. Just bought a Korea built 2015 Genesis. Amazing car with all
the options. Amazing quality too. Total of 220,000 miles and only one
warranty repair. Far better record than GM cars I've owned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2015 09:59 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Now Audi has self destructing timing belt at 60K miles...?

Is it an interference engine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2015 03:28 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Wrong leather you silly thing. It's "Corinthian Leather" ^_~

Is that the leather the Romans made out of the Achaeans after they
destroyed Corinth?