Posted to alt.home.repair

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:01:21 -0600, Tony Hwang

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 19:08:46 -0400, John wrote:

On 9/24/2015 3:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/24/2015 11:38 AM, leza wang wrote:
Sorry for off topic
-------------------

Hi

A friend of mine who is a senior citizen and want to buy a new car to
replace her standard old car. She is very good driver with very clean
driving history. Her current car is Volkswagen golf. She is thinking
of buying a new Volkswagen golf but automatic of course (easier to
drive). Do you have any other recommendation on which car (brand name)
she should consider. Too many options and technologies are not really
required, just basic stuff but most be automatic.

Thank you in advance.

My first consideration, what fits? What is easy enough to get in and
out of?

VW has problems right now but it may be possible to get a huge discount.
Don't know how that will shake out.

I'd consider:
Hyundai Sonata or the smaller Elantra
Toyota Camry or the smaller Corolla
Ford Fusion or the smaller Focus

Price can vary considerably depending if they get a stripped down
version or a fully loaded model. Right now, Hyundai is offering some
good deals on the 2015 Sonata as the 2016 is now hitting the showroom
floor.

There are no really bad cars made these days. Most are dependable and
have a decent warranty but Hyundai has the longest in both time and miles.

Kia has a 100k, 10 year drive train warranty as standard on all their
models. For an additional $2K or so (depending on model) that can be
extended to a factory bumper to bumper warranty. A good deal if you tend
to keep cars for a long time. Whine alot and you can even get a road
hazard warranty thrown in.

John

Unlike Mitsubishi, the 10 year warranty isn't the only way they can
sell a Kia -----
There are few cars that I wouldn't call GOOD - so I guess there ARE
some "bad" cars. Still better than "good" cars 30 years ago,

I am sorry, being a native Korean, I have no desire to drive Hyundai or
KIA(Hyundai owns KIA by the way) At start up Hyundai's technical mentor
was Mitsubishi. Wife drove Mitsubishi, Eagle Summit once. She collected
most speeding ticket driving this little 2.4 L, AWD model, LOL!

The Koreans out-japped the Japs. They started with a Mitsubishi and
made a much better vehicle out of it (athough they made some pretty
crappy cars in the process-including the Pony)
You'd be hard pressed to GIVE me a Mitsu. My daughter bought an
Elantra GT. Nice car. A lot less money than my second daughter's Honda
Civic too.