Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck screws in PTW wood

I have found that galvanized screws, equivalent to drywall
screws, can rust away. I don't think the problem is so much
the rust per se as the thinness of the screws. They can't
afford *any* rust. I wouldn't use them at all for joist
hangers because they have little shear strength.

I have always used galvanized nails that are made specifically for joist
hangers. They're short (maybe 1.25 inches) but thick (like a 16D nail).

I believe Simpson makes screws specifically for joist hangers (Strong
Screws). They're harder and are designed for high sheer strength. I've
used the larger versions of the Strong Screws for seismic tie downs and
they are very strong. I've used them many times as a quick substitute for
lag bolts.

I don't believe codes allow anything else for hangers, certainly not
drywall screws or deck screws. Not only are they weak and brittle, but
they can have galvanic reactions with different metal hangers that will
cause them to corrode prematurely.

Similarly, I like to use coarse drywall screws for
light framing because they're easy to remove and
a lot less work than hammering. But I wouldn't use
them where strength is needed. They just don't
have anywhere near the shear strength of a 16d
nail.

Drywall screws are incredibly weak and brittle. Heck, they break quite
often just installing drywall. Very thin shafts and no rust resistance.

I do use the gold screws (essentially a pretty drywall screw) for quick
little projects though, like jigs or to temporarily hold something
together.

The coated screws are heavier guage, though
they haven't been around long enough to know
how they hold up.

I've been using coated "deck" screws for at least 15+ years. Some brands
are good, others don't seem much better than drywall screws. The newer 10
gauge screws with torx heads seem quite sturdy. I wouldn't use them for
building a house (too slow to drive all those screws), but use them
frequently for decks and other small framing projects.

I don't have a nail gun. Sometimes I think I should
buy one, but there seem to be 3 sizes to cover
all nails.

I have a framing nailer that I use for both 16D nails for framing, and 8D
nails for siding. One gun basically covers all of my framing needs.

Of course, when I move indoors to trim work I need another gun to drive
16 gauge finish nails.

For woodworking, I use a third gun for smaller 18 gauge brad nails.

I've thought about getting a pin nailer too, but just haven't had the
need. The three guns I have seem to work fine for everything I've wanted
to do.

I can see where a palm nailer would be handy too...

Time and again I see where a nailgun was used to put in
twice the typical number of nails, yet they're not
holding well because they've essentially pre-drilled
a nail-size hole on their way in.

I find the nail gun is far less likely to split thin boards than if I try
to drive a finish nail by hand. Speed is a bonus too, as is being able to
hold a board with one hand and nail it with the other. Strength is rarely
an issue for trim work, and can actually be a benefit when you need to
remove the trim for repairs or other tasks.

For framing work, you can get much better holding strength by using ring
shank nails. They probably don't have the same pull resistance as a rough
galvanized nail, but either nail is relatively easy to pull straight out.
It's best not to rely on the withdrawal strength and more on the sheer
strength. Framing nails hold things together, but nailing sheathing and
subflooring to the faces of the framing is what really keeps them from
pulling apart.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I tried to disassemble the first deck I built, after 15 years or
so, The "deck screws" attaching the cedar deck to the structure had a
bad habit of snapping when I tried to unscrew them. They were quite
rusty, enough that most wouldn't turn.

I just dismantled our back stairs I built about 6-7 years ago. I had a few
screws that snapped, but stripped heads were the more common problem. The
vast majority unscrewed just fine. Certainly easier and far less damage
than trying to pull nails (I try to repurpose old lumber whenever
possible).

For cedar and redwood I always use stainless steel screws. These prevent
the ugly black stains around the screws. Unfortunately, stainless is fairly
soft so it's easy to strip the heads, even when installing them. The newest
ones I used had torx heads and I didn't strip a single screw this time
around.

I prefer screws for decks. They don't work their way out the way nails can.
I've seen several decks that were nailed where the heads were sticking up
1/8 to 1/4 inch. Dangerous for bare feet.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 08:44:47 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I don't have a nail gun. Sometimes I think I should
buy one, but there seem to be 3 sizes to cover
all nails. It's a lot of money and I'm always doing
different things, so it's hard to justify. (I might
frame for 1 day on a bath remodel and spend one
day doing trim, with 6 weeks of other work.)
But another hesitation for me with nail guns is that
they compress the wood as they go through. Time
and again I see where a nailgun was used to put in
twice the typical number of nails, yet they're not
holding well because they've essentially pre-drilled
a nail-size hole on their way in. On the other hand,
anyone used to using a nailgun would have a very
hard time accepting that criticism because the time
and effort they save is so substantial.

I disagree about the nail gun. They slam the nail in with one big push
and they are a lot harder to pull out than a hammer driven nail.
People tend to use more nails because it is so easy to do.
I ended up with the 3 you allude to but one is a roof nailer. My big
framing nailer shoots up to 3.25" nails and the smaller one shoots up
to 2.5". The roof nailer shoots roofing nails. I also have an 18ga
brad nailer tho. I probably use that one the most.

I just put a deck down with 2,5" ring shank SS nails. We will see how
that works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-09-18, HerHusband wrote:

I prefer screws for decks. They don't work their way out the way nails can.
I've seen several decks that were nailed where the heads were sticking up
1/8 to 1/4 inch. Dangerous for bare feet.

My deck is about 12-13 yrs old. PTW, but never any sealer applied.
It was installed with 3-1/2 gold (anodized?) phillips head deck
screws. The wood is now dried out and splitting, lotta screws stick
up about 1/4" and are so rusty, they either break off when trying to
unscrew or I can pull them out with a pair of pliers, the threads
having completely rusted off. I doubt the screws have twisted out,
it's more a case of the wood shrinking (I'm guessing).

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana"
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 02:46:02 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

| I'm in New England. Lots of weather extremes.
|
| You aren't kidding. And, that's a polite way to put it.

It has its good points. I like the way that the cycles
evoke reflection. September brings lust for life, a sense
of loss, missed opportunity and sadness at the end of
Summer. November brings sense of death with ugly,
dead, brown landscape. Winter has cozy lunches of
delcious soup. Spring is always amazing after the long
Winter. Summer is more beautiful than just about
anyplace else I know.... If I were in San Diego I guess
I'd just get up every day to sunny room temperature.
I expect that would get old.

Winter is long, cold, and, dreadful. That's why you're inside having
soup. It's too cold outside to do much else, unless you're going to
put the entire snowsuit and assorted protective gear on. And you have
the wonderful wintertime flu to deal with. Although you might be
toasty warm in your snow suite, I've found that battery powered
devices don't tolerate those conditions for long well.

I remember looking just like the kid in the movie, A Christmas Story.
Just to goto school. I've had to build a small fire underneath the
trucks oilpan several times to thaw it enough to crank over. Battery
on a charger to give it some life back (the minus temps are rough on
them), fire going under the truck. [g]

I don't miss that. rofl.

Today it was 90F. By Monday they're predicting a
high in the mid 60s. Over the weekend I've got to figure
out what I did with my long pants.

That's exactly what I mean. It's still september, I can go outside
with a tshirt here. In the mornings its a little chilly now, but, it
warms up to a toasty mid 70s-80s and it'll continue to do this for a
little while longer. I won't have to wear a long sleeve until Mid
October, and by mid day, back to tshirt. [g]

In another month or so, it's hoodies and coats for you, all the time.
[g] Winter's coming. rofl. New Englands idea of fall isn't much.
It's.. a precursor to everything being dead outside and piles of snow
and ice that's coming.

It'll be back in the 50s and 60s come March here... Hoodie weather.

But I do dislike what the salt does to car frames.

That's another aspect, entirely. Your frame will rust away to
nothingness long before your engine/drivetrain should wear out under
normal use there.

One drawback of living here is the panic that a couple inches of snow
seems to cause. They shut cities down over it. rofl. It's barely even
on the road and doesn't stick around, but, the city is mostly closed
due to the 'cold'. cracks me up.

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| I am doing a test on this as we speak
| It has been going on for close to 2 years and I haven't seen anything
| unusual yet.
| This is sitting on the south side of my screen cage, out in the yard.
| http://gfretwell.com/ftp/PT%20lumber...2010-25-13.jpg

That looks interesting. Too bad you can't
sell it to Consumer Reports.

One comment: Personally I have found that
galvanized screws, equivalent to drywall screws,
can rust away. I don't think the problem is so
much the rust per se as the thinness of the
screws. They can't afford *any* rust. I wouldn't
use them at all for joist hangers because they
have little shear strength.

Similarly, I like to use coarse drywall screws for
light framing because they're easy to remove and
a lot less work than hammering. But I wouldn't use
them where strength is needed. They just don't
have anywhere near the shear strength of a 16d
nail.

Ort a good "construction screw"
The coated screws are heavier guage, though
they haven't been around long enough to know
how they hold up.

I don't have a nail gun. Sometimes I think I should
buy one, but there seem to be 3 sizes to cover
all nails. It's a lot of money and I'm always doing
different things, so it's hard to justify. (I might
frame for 1 day on a bath remodel and spend one
day doing trim, with 6 weeks of other work.)
But another hesitation for me with nail guns is that
they compress the wood as they go through. Time
and again I see where a nailgun was used to put in
twice the typical number of nails, yet they're not
holding well because they've essentially pre-drilled
a nail-size hole on their way in. On the other hand,
anyone used to using a nailgun would have a very
hard time accepting that criticism because the time
and effort they save is so substantial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 17:03:54 -0600, Tony Hwang

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:57:52 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 7:09:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:22:05 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Not much of a carpenter or woodworker, I see.

Apparently not, unlike yourself, who seem to
have had a career in virtually every trade.

Well, I've had several carreers - with several sub carreers within
those.

Jack of all, master of none?

You belong to an elite group of multicraft people who are not helpless when it comes to the different trades and technology. You are the type person who would survive when the excreta impacts the propeller. Perhaps all that's needed is some medical training? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Multifaceted Monster

Wife is a nurse. (retired)

Actually master of a few. 2 in particular. Auto mechanic and computer
technician. In connection with those 2, add teaching, propane
service, window service, air conditioning,and building maintenance
(plumbing, electrical,) etc
Growing up with a father who was an electrician and building
contractor, as well as growing up working on the farm added a few
other skills.
Then my hobbies over the years of restoring/hot-rodding cars and
building an airplane - - - - -
About 50 years of work experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 20:55:43 +0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Fri, 18 Sep 2015 03:48:51 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I think my wife would be in the running.

She stated out in a grocery store as a night stocker
then
Pharmacy assistant
Guard
Unloaded hogs at Rudy's Sausage in Arkansas
Lab tech at Fox Electronics in Ft Myers
sold carpet
Owned a florist shop (FTD master florist)
Floral manager Publix
Sold landscape
Sold Safety supplies (Zee truck)
Sold advertising at the local paper
Sold Health Life and annuities
Retail store asst manager (home goods 2 places)
Sold HVAC systems (Trane top 10 performer 2 years in a row)
Built over 100 houses and brought a community out of the ground
Now site manager at a gated commmunity/country club and looking
around for something else.

I see why you determined she's a winner. Sounds like a very capable
and intelligent individual!

She is a keeper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| Not much of a carpenter or woodworker, I see.

Apparently not, unlike yourself, who seem to
have had a career in virtually every trade.

Well, I've had several carreers - with several sub carreers within
those.

Jack of all, master of none?

You belong to an elite group of multicraft people who are not helpless when it comes to the different trades and technology. You are the type person who would survive when the excreta impacts the propeller. Perhaps all that's needed is some medical training? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Multifaceted Monster
Wife is a nurse. (retired)

Actually master of a few. 2 in particular. Auto mechanic and computer
technician. In connection with those 2, add teaching, propane
service, window service, air conditioning,and building maintenance
(plumbing, electrical,) etc
Growing up with a father who was an electrician and building
contractor, as well as growing up working on the farm added a few
other skills.
Then my hobbies over the years of restoring/hot-rodding cars and
building an airplane - - - - -
About 50 years of work experience.

Class of '64 Engineering school, SNU Korea, mandatory service for
two years in ROKA field artillery unit. Joined U.S. DOD as a military
civilian in radio telecom. with 8th US Army, 304th LL Bn. traveled
overseas, reached GS-13 when I quit. Settled in Canada, joined Honeywell
as field engineer Sr. systems specialit when I
retired after 37 years. 5 more years on retainer doing cosulting work.
Basically one career in the same field.
Wife spent little over 30 years as a RN and anesthetist. She started
her own business which is still going on strong. At the peak, had 4
stores, down to one now in our old neighborhood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| Not much of a carpenter or woodworker, I see.

Apparently not, unlike yourself, who seem to
have had a career in virtually every trade.

Well, I've had several carreers - with several sub carreers within
those.

Jack of all, master of none?

You belong to an elite group of multicraft people who are not helpless when it comes to the different trades and technology. You are the type person who would survive when the excreta impacts the propeller. Perhaps all that's needed is some medical training? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Multifaceted Monster
Wife is a nurse. (retired)

Actually master of a few. 2 in particular. Auto mechanic and computer
technician. In connection with those 2, add teaching, propane
service, window service, air conditioning,and building maintenance
(plumbing, electrical,) etc
Growing up with a father who was an electrician and building
contractor, as well as growing up working on the farm added a few
other skills.
Then my hobbies over the years of restoring/hot-rodding cars and
building an airplane - - - - -
About 50 years of work experience.

Class of '64 Engineering school, SNU Korea, mandatory service for
two years in ROKA field artillery unit. Joined U.S. DOD as a military
civilian in radio telecom. with 8th US Army, 304th LL Bn. traveled
overseas, reached GS-13 when I quit. Settled in Canada, joined Honeywell
as field engineer Sr. systems specialit when I
retired after 37 years. 5 more years on retainer doing cosulting work.
Basically one career in the same field.
Wife spent little over 30 years as a RN and anesthetist. She started
her own business which is still going on strong. At the peak, had 4
stores, down to one now in our old neighborhood.

Your wife seems to be a wonderful gal but listening to her could put you to sleep. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sleepy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| Not much of a carpenter or woodworker, I see.

Apparently not, unlike yourself, who seem to
have had a career in virtually every trade.

Well, I've had several carreers - with several sub carreers within
those.

Jack of all, master of none?

You belong to an elite group of multicraft people who are not helpless when it comes to the different trades and technology. You are the type person who would survive when the excreta impacts the propeller. Perhaps all that's needed is some medical training? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Multifaceted Monster
Wife is a nurse. (retired)

Actually master of a few. 2 in particular. Auto mechanic and computer
technician. In connection with those 2, add teaching, propane
service, window service, air conditioning,and building maintenance
(plumbing, electrical,) etc
Growing up with a father who was an electrician and building
contractor, as well as growing up working on the farm added a few
other skills.
Then my hobbies over the years of restoring/hot-rodding cars and
building an airplane - - - - -
About 50 years of work experience.

Class of '64 Engineering school, SNU Korea, mandatory service for
two years in ROKA field artillery unit. Joined U.S. DOD as a military
civilian in radio telecom. with 8th US Army, 304th LL Bn. traveled
overseas, reached GS-13 when I quit. Settled in Canada, joined Honeywell
as field engineer Sr. systems specialit when I
retired after 37 years. 5 more years on retainer doing cosulting work.
Basically one career in the same field.
Wife spent little over 30 years as a RN and anesthetist. She started
her own business which is still going on strong. At the peak, had 4
stores, down to one now in our old neighborhood.

Your wife seems to be a wonderful gal but listening to her could put you to sleep. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sleepy Monster

One thing she was exceptional in taking care of terminally sick(even
AIDS patient) She was not afraid of dying person. Fellow nurses always
asked her help to look after patient on dead bed. She did not mind at
all. Actor George Peppard's uncle died holding her hands in her shift.
George used to call every morning to check his uncle's condition.
When his uncle died, George sent an autographed picture of him with
some gift card to my wife. She took care of our church elderly retired
priest too when he died where she worked. Now she is extra kind to older
folks visiting our store for advices and things they need(supplements) I
am proud and awe her in a way. Now daughter is carrying on in her steps.
She went to Tanzania in the summer second time
to train maternity nurses and doctors there. When the project ends, she
will find some place else where she may be needed. When home she works
at clinic in Canmore(one of richest retirement community in Canada)
looking after elderly retirees and delivering babies, doing C-section
operations when needed at hospital there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

> [...]

all. Actor George Peppard's uncle died holding her hands in her shift.
George used to call every morning to check his uncle's condition.
When his uncle died, George sent an autographed picture of him with
some gift card to my wife. She took care of our church elderly retired
priest too when he died where she worked. Now she is extra kind to older
folks visiting our store for advices and things they need(supplements) I
am proud and awe her in a way. Now daughter is carrying on in her steps.
She went to Tanzania in the summer second time
to train maternity nurses and doctors there. When the project ends, she
will find some place else where she may be needed. When home she works
at clinic in Canmore(one of richest retirement community in Canada)
looking after elderly retirees and delivering babies, doing C-section
operations when needed at hospital there.

Tony, she's not just a wonderful gal, she is an exceptionally fantastic woman and you're lucky to be married to her. The folks I've met in the home hospice care field were wonderful people too. ^_^

Oh yea, you did realize the sleepy thing was an anesthetist joke. I've a little sister who's a nurse and did some of the same things in her career as your wife. I don't know what she's doing now but she turned 60 last January.. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Live Monster