Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Deck screws in PTW wood

On 2015-09-18, HerHusband wrote:

I prefer screws for decks. They don't work their way out the way nails can.
I've seen several decks that were nailed where the heads were sticking up
1/8 to 1/4 inch. Dangerous for bare feet.

My deck is about 12-13 yrs old. PTW, but never any sealer applied.
It was installed with 3-1/2 gold (anodized?) phillips head deck
screws. The wood is now dried out and splitting, lotta screws stick
up about 1/4" and are so rusty, they either break off when trying to
unscrew or I can pull them out with a pair of pliers, the threads
having completely rusted off. I doubt the screws have twisted out,
it's more a case of the wood shrinking (I'm guessing).

nb