Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck screws in PTW wood

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 08:44:47 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I don't have a nail gun. Sometimes I think I should
buy one, but there seem to be 3 sizes to cover
all nails. It's a lot of money and I'm always doing
different things, so it's hard to justify. (I might
frame for 1 day on a bath remodel and spend one
day doing trim, with 6 weeks of other work.)
But another hesitation for me with nail guns is that
they compress the wood as they go through. Time
and again I see where a nailgun was used to put in
twice the typical number of nails, yet they're not
holding well because they've essentially pre-drilled
a nail-size hole on their way in. On the other hand,
anyone used to using a nailgun would have a very
hard time accepting that criticism because the time
and effort they save is so substantial.

I disagree about the nail gun. They slam the nail in with one big push
and they are a lot harder to pull out than a hammer driven nail.
People tend to use more nails because it is so easy to do.
I ended up with the 3 you allude to but one is a roof nailer. My big
framing nailer shoots up to 3.25" nails and the smaller one shoots up
to 2.5". The roof nailer shoots roofing nails. I also have an 18ga
brad nailer tho. I probably use that one the most.

I just put a deck down with 2,5" ring shank SS nails. We will see how
that works.