Posted to alt.home.repair

Default [OT] Communicating without grid power

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 22:12:36 -0500, gregz wrote:

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 09/15/2015 08:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Got this from a friend:
=======================================
Chris, without power the only way that I understand
that you could communicate is by foot, horse,
bicycle, runner other than that you could shout,
maybe you can give me other Idea's.
Scott
=======================================

What ideas do we have for Scott?

You fire up the amateur radio transceiver in your car -- or the one at
home for which you have well-maintained standby batteries.

"When all else fails... There's Amateur Radio."

Amateur Radio was used when the cell-phone towers on top of the World
Trade Center were put out of action. Amateur Radio was used in the
search
for the debris from the space shuttle that was scattered over remote
areas of Texas with no cell-phone service.

Perce

CB radio too, batteries, solar charging. Amateur repeaters will not work
on
battery for long without solar backup.

Greg

We can't even buy a candy bar at the local stores
without grid power.
Has anyone seen a backup generator at the local gas station?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2015 8:36 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 22:12:36 -0500, gregz wrote:

CB radio too, batteries, solar charging. Amateur repeaters will not
work on
battery for long without solar backup.

Greg

We can't even buy a candy bar at the local stores
without grid power.
Has anyone seen a backup generator at the local gas station?

Sadly, most stores are computer operated. Need
the computer to resupply, based on computer
recorded sales.

Years ago, I heard of one family owned store doing
shopping by flash light, pad, and cash only. During
a power cut. Made sense, to me.

Last power cut, the convenience store near me had
two candles, and a very weak 2D Never Ready flash
light in the place. I chatted a few minutes, and
he didn't sell much during that time.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 13:47:08 -0400, Steve Stone
wrote:

http://www.winlink.org/content/e_mai...thout_internet

E-mail With or Without the Internet

This Powerpoint presentation describes the Winlink system in all it's
modes of operation--from the traditional, internet-linked server network
to the Hybrid and Peer-to-Peer RF-linked networks that provide both fast
message transport and reliable delivery with or without working internet
connections. Introduces radio-only operation for users.

Amateur Radio License NOT included!

I remember E-mail long before the internet was available to the
masses. Services like Compuserve were out there when PCs in the home
were still fairly rare. By the time the IBM PC started rolling out in
any real quantity we had Prodigy and later AOL. They were fairly
mature services by the time the internet was added.

Internally many companies had E-mail under different names and there
was usually a dial up portal into the network.

I was using email to communicate with folks in hawaii back in 1978
on PLATO systems. PLATO[*] predates the internet by 25 years. We also
had IM (instant messaging) in the 70's (TSS-8.24, MPE/3000 and
most mainframes).
[*] Had the best computer games, too. Plasma panel graphics (monocolor)
and nationwide multiuser access allowed players from all over the country
to compete in space games (Empire) and dungeons-n-dragons (DND) using
(rather massive) graphics terminals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 09/15/2015 07:22 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
"bob_villa" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 7:45:32 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
They also use cordless phones, which
go dead with the power failure.

...pointless statement because there would be no power to the phone
modem.

all my home telco/ISP/WIFI equipment is on a UPS.

How big is your battery bank? We had a problem this summer where about
10,000 were without power for over three days. Can you operate that
long after the lights go out?

Cordless phones, modems, routers, and even car cell phone chargers almost always
work off 12V DC, so a good sized 12V battery could keep them going for quite a
while, and can be recharged from your car. You would need to make adapter cables
for the devices, and wire the house for that power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:31:47 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

I had wireless internet through Sprint. As for TV, antenna would work
but I had plenty of DVR recordings.

--

My main reason for ditching Comcast was my Replay bricked on me after
the initial power failure and I could not get back online to reset it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:36:20 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

We can't even buy a candy bar at the local stores
without grid power.
Has anyone seen a backup generator at the local gas station?

It is law in Florida. If they are on an evacuation route, they need
backup power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We can't even buy a candy bar at the local stores
without grid power.
Has anyone seen a backup generator at the local gas station?

It is law in Florida. If they are on an evacuation route, they need
backup power.

Is it the law that they have to stay open and not evacuate themselves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:24:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Sadly, most stores are computer operated. Need
the computer to resupply, based on computer
recorded sales.

Years ago, I heard of one family owned store doing
shopping by flash light, pad, and cash only. During
a power cut. Made sense, to me.

We maintained a lot of "point of sale" and it was always funny to
watch them try to run the store without the registers. Older workers
seem to do fine but the "kids" (up to 30 sumpin) needed a calculator,
just to make change. They were still slow and confused by the process.
The fact that nothing was priced made it even harder.
I have seen grocery stores where they had a manager just stand there
and dicker with the customer, guessing how much a cart of groceries
was worth. The customer usually had a better idea than the manager but
they usually started low.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
They also use cordless phones, which
go dead with the power failure.

...pointless statement because there would be no power to the phone
modem.

all my home telco/ISP/WIFI equipment is on a UPS.

How big is your battery bank? We had a problem this summer where about
10,000 were without power for over three days. Can you operate that
long after the lights go out?

Cordless phones, modems, routers, and even car cell phone chargers almost always
work off 12V DC, so a good sized 12V battery could keep them going for quite a
while, and can be recharged from your car. You would need to make adapter cables
for the devices, and wire the house for that power.

During Charley I had my car parked next to the house and ran
extension cords in from the array of inverters I had hooked to the
battery.

By Wilma I had this, cobbled up from junk I had in the garage.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg

Now we have a real generator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 08:31:29 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

We can't even buy a candy bar at the local stores
without grid power.
Has anyone seen a backup generator at the local gas station?

It is law in Florida. If they are on an evacuation route, they need
backup power.

Is it the law that they have to stay open and not evacuate themselves?

I doubt that would be enforceable but they still have to have a
generator to show the inspectors when they test the pumps.
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2015 10:15 AM, Bob F wrote:

They also use cordless phones, which
go dead with the power failure.

...pointless statement because there would be no power to the phone
modem.

all my home telco/ISP/WIFI equipment is on a UPS.

How big is your battery bank? We had a problem this summer where about
10,000 were without power for over three days. Can you operate that
long after the lights go out?

Cordless phones, modems, routers, and even car cell phone chargers almost always
work off 12V DC, so a good sized 12V battery could keep them going for quite a
while, and can be recharged from your car. You would need to make adapter cables
for the devices, and wire the house for that power.

NO! The wall-warts for our Panasonic cordless phones put out 6.5V. The
wall-warts for our cell phones put out 5V. The cable modem is 12V. I
cannot get at the wall-wart for the router to check its output voltage,
but it might be 12V also.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2015 12:44 PM, Oren wrote:
I doubt that would be enforceable but they still have to have a
generator to show the inspectors when they test the pumps.

I'd agree on ability to enforce an evacuation. As long as a
station/store can get fuel and ice supplied, my bet is they stay open.

Didn't FL/NJ pass laws on price gouging??

Most likely yes. Since there is no incentive to
pay thousands of dollars to buy a generator
(can't charge what gas is worth, during a
storm), they didn't bother.

See what happens when government tries to
muck about in free markets?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That is ingenious! It looks like you repurposed an old pump using a GM alternator that has the built-in voltage regulator. Back at the house I have LED lights everywhere and when I was last at home in January, there was a power outage that lasted 6 1/2 hours. One small 500 watt UPS ran my LED desk lamps the whole time without any loss of brightness which allowed me to get around the house without any fear of tripping over something in the dark. I think it would easily run the lights for 12 hours. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle LED Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:47:27 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 10:45:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:

By Wilma I had this, cobbled up from junk I had in the garage.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg

Now we have a real generator.

That is ingenious! It looks like you repurposed an old pump using a GM alternator that has the built-in voltage regulator. Back at the house I have LED lights everywhere and when I was last at home in January, there was a power outage that lasted 6 1/2 hours. One small 500 watt UPS ran my LED desk lamps the whole time without any loss of brightness which allowed me to get around the house without any fear of tripping over something in the dark. I think it would easily run the lights for 12 hours. ^_^

It was an old pressure cleaner with a bad pump. This will run the 2
onboard inverters and charge a big deep cycle trolling motor battery
without breathing hard.
With jumper cables I can charge my golf cart 2 batteries at a time
too. That is a buttload of battery power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-09-16, Scott Lurndal wrote:
... PLATO[*] predates the internet by 25 years. ...

My 1981 Berkeley Unix manual uses the term "internet" - this
that PLATO must have started sometime before 1956! Impressive!

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 11:44:38 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:23:15 -0400, wrote:

Has anyone seen a backup generator at the local gas station?

It is law in Florida. If they are on an evacuation route, they need
backup power.

Is it the law that they have to stay open and not evacuate themselves?

I doubt that would be enforceable but they still have to have a
generator to show the inspectors when they test the pumps.

I'd agree on ability to enforce an evacuation. As long as a
station/store can get fuel and ice supplied, my bet is they stay open.

Didn't FL/NJ pass laws on price gouging??

That moonbat idea has done nothing but limit the availability of supplies during a natural disaster. One hapless fellow took a box van load of bottled water down South to one of the areas wrecked by a hurricane. He wasn't expecting to make a killing off of it by charging a ridiculous price like $10 a bottle but soon after he got there, The National Guard took his water at gunpoint. He learned his lesson and will never try to help out people in need again. Now the government has control of the supply chain and everyone knows how well government handles things like that. The retards and Affirmative Action morons running FEMA demonstrated their exceptional competence in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That thing is really fantastic. Have you thought of building and selling them to other folks who have to endure the loss of power after a hurricane? You could even sell plans for a DIY version. You used readily available parts that anyone can obtain which I think it's wonderful job of repurposing. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2015 11:12 PM, gregz wrote:
CB radio too, batteries, solar charging. Amateur repeaters will not work on
battery for long without solar backup.

Greg

Which opens the question. Suppose the ham radio repeaters
have batteries. How do those batteries get recharged?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2015 2:28 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Chromie (yea I named him) my cute little Chromebook

is pretty much turn on and go. I did add memory to
double it to 4Gb and stick a 32Gb memory card in the
front slot plus I've installed a number of extensions/
apps to modify and improve its operation but all in all
it's trouble free. This little Chromebook weighs 3 lb
and it's easy for me to handle with my fraked up
shoulders. Chromie keeps me from going "completely"
bonkers while I'm stuck in this damn bed. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bonkers Monster

Paint it green, and call it Chromie The Frog?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2015 3:47 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 10:45:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:
By Wilma I had this, cobbled up from junk I had in the garage.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg

Now we have a real generator.

That is ingenious! It looks like you repurposed an old pump using a GM alternator that has the built-in voltage regulator. Back at the house I have LED lights everywhere and when I was last at home in January, there was a power outage that lasted 6 1/2 hours. One small 500 watt UPS ran my LED desk lamps the whole time without any loss of brightness which allowed me to get around the house without any fear of tripping over something in the dark. I think it would easily run the lights for 12 hours. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle LED Monster

I also love the portable 12 volt charger. Very good
job, sir!

I'd love to wire my trailer for 12 volts, and put in
a couple deep storage batteries. Charge em off solar
or such a device. Just need money, that's all.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2015 3:59 PM, wrote:
By Wilma I had this, cobbled up from junk I had in the garage.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg

It was an old pressure cleaner with a bad pump. This will run the 2
onboard inverters and charge a big deep cycle trolling motor battery
without breathing hard.
With jumper cables I can charge my golf cart 2 batteries at a time
too. That is a buttload of battery power.

You know, that does look very capable. I bet you
use a solid brass ****nozzle for it, and then
you're cooking with gas? I like the versatile
multiple things you can do.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2015 4:59 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

That thing is really fantastic. Have you thought of building and selling them to other folks who have to endure the loss of power after a hurricane? You could even sell plans for a DIY version. You used readily available parts that anyone can obtain which I think it's wonderful job of repurposing. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster

In today's world, not many young folks can
build from plans. Not a lot of folks have
a broken pressure washer with a bad pump.

There is a plan some where, using a walk
behind lawn mower and a template, to spin
alternator with a belt. I should have
bought one of those templates (can be
purchased precut) years ago.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 5:00:58 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/16/2015 2:28 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Chromie (yea I named him) my cute little Chromebook

is pretty much turn on and go. I did add memory to
double it to 4Gb and stick a 32Gb memory card in the
front slot plus I've installed a number of extensions/
apps to modify and improve its operation but all in all
it's trouble free. This little Chromebook weighs 3 lb
and it's easy for me to handle with my fraked up
shoulders. Chromie keeps me from going "completely"
bonkers while I'm stuck in this damn bed. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bonkers Monster

Paint it green, and call it Chromie The Frog?
-
.

I'm sure there's an app or extension that at the Google Store. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chrome Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

For the cell phone you use a car charger. A cheap regulator circuit could be
made/purchased for other voltages if needed. The results should be way more
efficient than inverting 12V up to 120 V AC and wall warting it back down.

I keep an old POTS line powered phone connected in my house at all times in case
of power outages. I can certainly survive without the wireless phones if the
power does go out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2015 4:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

That moonbat idea has done nothing but limit the

availability of supplies during a natural disaster.
One hapless fellow took a box van load of bottled
water down South to one of the areas wrecked by a
hurricane. He wasn't expecting to make a killing
off of it by charging a ridiculous price like $10
a bottle but soon after he got there, The National
Guard took his water at gunpoint. He learned his
lesson and will never try to help out people in
need again. Now the government has control of the
supply chain and everyone knows how well government
handles things like that. The retards and Affirmative
Action morons running FEMA demonstrated their exceptional
competence in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster

Other examples include the locals who came to Super
Dome and had a huge free tailgate party with gas
fired cookers, at thier own expense. FEMA sent them
away, as they weren't government inspected nor
approved.

In your text, the operative terms appear to be
"government control". Jah, mein herr? Javoe?
Papers, please.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
Didn't FL/NJ pass laws on price gouging??

That moonbat idea has done nothing but limit the availability of
supplies during a natural disaster. One hapless fellow took a box van
load of bottled water down South to one of the areas wrecked by a
hurricane. He wasn't expecting to make a killing off of it by
charging a ridiculous price like $10 a bottle but soon after he got
there, The National Guard took his water at gunpoint. He learned his
lesson and will never try to help out people in need again. Now the
government has control of the supply chain and everyone knows how
well government handles things like that. The retards and Affirmative
Action morons running FEMA demonstrated their exceptional competence
in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. o_O

That would be retard and affirmative action appointee "Brownie, you're doing a
heck of a job" Michael Brown, appointed by George Bush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2015 05:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

CB radio too, batteries, solar charging. Amateur repeaters will not
work on
battery for long without solar backup.

*Legal* CB radio equipment is by design a low-power short-range
communication facility.

Which opens the question. Suppose the ham radio repeaters
have batteries. How do those batteries get recharged?

They get charged from house current or from a generator. Of course the
batteries last only a while, depending on their capacity. I have two 6V
golf-cart batteries in series that are float-charged from house current.
I also have a generator, and I usually have two 6-gallon cans of gas for
it on hand.

I don't have solar charging capabilities, but some amateur radio
operators do.

"Field Day" is a nationwide exercise held each June, in which amateur
radio operators communicate from temporary installations in parks,
schools, etc., so there should be a pool of experienced communicators
available in emergencies.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Got this from a friend:
=======================================
Chris, without power the only way that I understand
that you could communicate is by foot, horse,
bicycle, runner other than that you could shout,
maybe you can give me other Idea's.
Scott
=======================================

What ideas do we have for Scott?

Amateur Radio powered by generator and solar power. I have
HF/VHF/UHF. We also have multiple solar powered VHF repeaters here.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 6:14:58 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

It's all Bush's fault, everybody knows that! We can never blame it on the people at any particular location who are actually running things. o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEH9u26Vlhk

[8~{} Uncle Action Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2015 06:36 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

We can't even buy a candy bar at the local stores
without grid power.
Has anyone seen a backup generator at the local gas station?

I only overheard the conversation and don't know the details but during
a power outage last month the guy tried to get gas. The pumps worked but
the charge cards didn't. Of course, a true survivalist, the guy had
about as much real money in his pocket as he had gas in his car when the
lights went out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:59:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 9/15/2015 11:12 PM, gregz wrote:
CB radio too, batteries, solar charging. Amateur repeaters will not work on
battery for long without solar backup.

Greg

Which opens the question. Suppose the ham radio repeaters
have batteries. How do those batteries get recharged?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

It really depends on the band you are on. The vhf stuff usually needs
a repeater to get very far because it is largely line of sight (near
the old TV frequencies) but the longer wave lengths can skip around
the world, just using the power you sent it with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 20:00:25 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

If you have a Rural King near you, it seems to be the best place to
get cheap golf cart batteries. ($60 on sale plus all of the bullspit
fees).
That is $20 less than Costco/Sam etc
They are nice deep cycle batteries for various backup projects.
I have an old cart here I use for driving around the neighborhood and
as a tractor for dragging stuff around the yard.
It also gives me a good source of DC volts in an emergency. I am still
looking for a deal on a 36v 120 inverter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per rbowman:
Of course, a true survivalist, the guy had
about as much real money in his pocket as he had gas in his car when the
lights went out.

They're probably all dead by now, but 20-30 years ago in the NYC area
there were at least a few survivors of The Holocaust that had food and
about $10,000 in the trunks of their cars at all times.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default [OT] depression babies

On 9/17/2015 10:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per rbowman:
Of course, a true survivalist, the guy had
about as much real money in his pocket as he had gas in his car when the
lights went out.

They're probably all dead by now, but 20-30 years ago in the NYC area
there were at least a few survivors of The Holocaust that had food and
about $10,000 in the trunks of their cars at all times.

I live in the shadow of The Great Depression (1929).
Left its mark on my parents, and on myself.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2015 11:11 PM, wrote:

[...]

I'd never heard of Rural King, and now I see that the closest one is 70
miles away. Costco will suit me better when I need replacements.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

On 9/17/2015 10:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per rbowman:
Of course, a true survivalist, the guy had
about as much real money in his pocket as he had gas in his car when the
lights went out.

They're probably all dead by now, but 20-30 years ago in the NYC area
there were at least a few survivors of The Holocaust that had food and
about $10,000 in the trunks of their cars at all times.

I live in the shadow of The Great Depression (1929).
Left its mark on my parents, and on myself.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
I probably would be depressed too if I was a moron baby like you and the
others here with violent tendencies.
You should get help before it's too late.