Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

Default QUESTION: How to connect a power supply to my home power grid?

Hi all

I wanted to ask a question about something that has lightly perplexed
me for a while.

Sometimes we read about some person building e.g. a wind turbine (or
something else) and connecting the electricity derived from this to
their home power grid.

My question is about how this sort of thing is accomplished.

I mean, I do not expect it to be as simple as plugging a power supply
to a wall outlet and then the power from it automatically becomes
available to all outlets in the house.

Or is this basically how it is done - in other words can a standard
wall outlet function both as 'input' and 'output'?

And a second question derived from this, is it possible to also be
plugged into the communal power grid at the same time or will there be
some sort of a interference? If there is interference, how can that be
reduced?

No need to give me a fully detailed answers to above, I am just
looking for a generic information to satisfy my own curiousity.

If you know of any books or websites that deal with this I would be
interested of hearing about them.

Thanks in advance,
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

S Claus wrote:
Hi all

I wanted to ask a question about something that has lightly perplexed
me for a while.

Sometimes we read about some person building e.g. a wind turbine (or
something else) and connecting the electricity derived from this to
their home power grid.

My question is about how this sort of thing is accomplished.

I mean, I do not expect it to be as simple as plugging a power supply
to a wall outlet and then the power from it automatically becomes
available to all outlets in the house.

Or is this basically how it is done - in other words can a standard
wall outlet function both as 'input' and 'output'?

Yes it can.
That's basically how all grid-tie inverters work. They are basically just
connected across your house mains supply (usually out in your power box for
various reasons).
You can now get smaller ones like this that plug directly into any outlet:
http://www.gogreensolar.com/products...olar-power-kit
Often called plug-in or micro inverters.

And a second question derived from this, is it possible to also be
plugged into the communal power grid at the same time or will there be
some sort of a interference? If there is interference, how can that be
reduced?

Grid-tie inverters are designed to supplement your existing community mains
connection and are simply connected in parallel, they are designed to sync
with the existing mains connection. So technically, when you are not using
the power, someone else nearby gets the benefit instead. In many countries
and states you can get a "feed-in" credit for the power you put into the
grid in this way.

Dave.
http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

You can now get smaller ones like this that plug directly into any outlet:http://www.gogreensolar.com/products...rid-tied-solar...
Often called plug-in or micro inverters.

* And a second question derived from this, is it possible to also be

plugged into the communal power grid at the same time or will there be
some sort of a interference? If there is interference, how can that be
reduced?

Grid-tie inverters are designed to supplement your existing community mains
connection and are simply connected in parallel, they are designed to sync
with the existing mains connection. So technically, when you are not using
the power, someone else nearby gets the benefit instead. In many countries
and states you can get a "feed-in" credit for the power you put into the
grid in this way.

Dave.
Check out my Electronics Engineering Video Blog & Podcast:http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/- Hide quoted text -

cool, thank you very much for your reply Dave.

cheers
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"David L. Jerkoff"

You can now get smaller ones like this that plug directly into any outlet:
http://www.gogreensolar.com/products...olar-power-kit
Often called plug-in or micro inverters.

** What a DODGY product !!!!

Typical of ******s like DL Jerkoff to be promoting it.

It has no UL safety certification !!!!

Break even on cost goes out to 50 years or more !!!

Bet the POS breaks down in the first year.

Total rip off for the most gullible greenies on earth.

..... Phil

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:57:39 +1000, "David L. Jones" wrote:

:S Claus wrote:
: Hi all
:
[...]

There is far more to installing and using a grid tie inverter than just plugging
one in to a GPO. Grid tie inverters must, by law, be connected to the phase wire
via an isolation switch and the meter box must have appropriate signage inside
warning that a grid tie system is in operation. If anyone (linesman or
electrician) was working on the phase (eg. the premises lead-in cable) thinking
that it was already isolated he might get a shock due to the grid tie inverter
pumping out 240V via an ordinary GPO.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"David L. Jerkoff"

You can now get smaller ones like this that plug directly into any
outlet:
http://www.gogreensolar.com/products...olar-power-kit
Often called plug-in or micro inverters.

** What a DODGY product !!!!

Typical of ******s like DL Jerkoff to be promoting it.

It has no UL safety certification !!!!

Break even on cost goes out to 50 years or more !!!

Bet the POS breaks down in the first year.

Total rip off for the most gullible greenies on earth.

..... Phil

Well, it might be dodgy, have no UL certification, have a 50 year payback,
and
have questionable quality, but you better hurry and order, because,

"Due to the high demand for this product, orders may take 2 to 4 weeks to
arrive"
Mike :-)

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 06:53:31 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

[...]

When the bodger makes two a month in his garage, sometimes product
lead times do take a month or two.