petrus bitbyter

Default Power supply question

"Ted Wood" schreef in bericht
I've "inherited" an ESI-2841 network print server, but the AC adapter is
missing. It's been about 15 years since I've been involved in
electronics, but I opened up the unit and found that it uses an LT1076CQ-5
voltage regulator. The spec sheet for the LT1076 indicates that it has a
minimum voltage input is around 8VDC and a maximum input voltage of around
40VDC, I'm concluding that I could use any old AC adapter that has a
rectified DC output in the range of 9-12VDC (as long as I can find the
correct plug).

Can anyone validate my thinking on this?

Looks like good thinking to me. If you want to be very safe just hook up a
lab powersupply at 8V and check for the current. Increase the voltage. The
current should not increase rather decrease a little. Also check the
temperature of the regulator. If you burn your fingers on it, it's too hot.
My guess is that you can safely use 8V to 12V. Now make sure that the
rectified and smoothed voltage of your new adaptor does not fall below 8V
during operation.

petrus bitbyter