Posted to alt.home.repair

Default [OT] Communicating without grid power

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:24:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Sadly, most stores are computer operated. Need
the computer to resupply, based on computer
recorded sales.

Years ago, I heard of one family owned store doing
shopping by flash light, pad, and cash only. During
a power cut. Made sense, to me.

We maintained a lot of "point of sale" and it was always funny to
watch them try to run the store without the registers. Older workers
seem to do fine but the "kids" (up to 30 sumpin) needed a calculator,
just to make change. They were still slow and confused by the process.
The fact that nothing was priced made it even harder.
I have seen grocery stores where they had a manager just stand there
and dicker with the customer, guessing how much a cart of groceries
was worth. The customer usually had a better idea than the manager but
they usually started low.