Posted to alt.home.repair

Default [OT] depression babies

On 9/17/2015 12:17 PM, Lucky Strike wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

I live in the shadow of The Great Depression (1929).
Left its mark on my parents, and on myself.

I probably would be depressed too if I was a moron baby like you and the
others here with violent tendencies.
You should get help before it's too late.

You display micro-agression. Have you gone to
sensetivity training at a university near you?

You can be helped.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 11:18:47 AM UTC-5, Lucky Strike wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

On 9/17/2015 10:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per rbowman:
Of course, a true survivalist, the guy had
about as much real money in his pocket as he had gas in his car when the
lights went out.

They're probably all dead by now, but 20-30 years ago in the NYC area
there were at least a few survivors of The Holocaust that had food and
about $10,000 in the trunks of their cars at all times.

I live in the shadow of The Great Depression (1929).
Left its mark on my parents, and on myself.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.
I probably would be depressed too if I was a moron baby like you and the
others here with violent tendencies.
You should get help before it's too late.

Can we use you as a punching bag and for target practice? It's fun to beat up and shoot vermin, even if it talks and whines. The more vermin howls as it's being dispatched, the more I enjoy watching it flop around. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hunter Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default [OT] Communicating without grid power

On 09/16/2015 08:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Last power cut, the convenience store near me had
two candles, and a very weak 2D Never Ready flash
light in the place. I chatted a few minutes, and
he didn't sell much during that time.

After Hurricane Ike, I was with a neighbour who went to Walgreen's
looking for a battery-operated radio. The only one they had took C
cells, which they were out of (and I didn't have any either). I let him
borrow one of my wind-up radios.

--
99 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." [Carl Sagan]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wed, 16 Sep 2015 19:59:52 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:47:27 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 10:45:37 AM UTC-5,
wrote:

By Wilma I had this, cobbled up from junk I had in the garage.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg

Now we have a real generator.

That is ingenious! It looks like you repurposed an old pump using
a GM alternator that has the built-in voltage regulator. Back at
the house I have LED lights everywhere and when I was last at home
in January, there was a power outage that lasted 6 1/2 hours. One
small 500 watt UPS ran my LED desk lamps the whole time without
any loss of brightness which allowed me to get around the house
without any fear of tripping over something in the dark. I think
it would easily run the lights for 12 hours. ^_^

It was an old pressure cleaner with a bad pump. This will run the
2 onboard inverters and charge a big deep cycle trolling motor
battery without breathing hard.

I'd say so. What's it pushing amp wise? over 100 or so?

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Stone Tue,
15 Sep 2015 23:22:37 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I was a Fidonet SysOp for a few years, running RBBS-PC on an 8088
based IBM PC with over 500 users.

I know that package!

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

By Wilma I had this, cobbled up from junk I had in the garage.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg

Now we have a real generator.

That is ingenious! It looks like you repurposed an old pump using
a GM alternator that has the built-in voltage regulator. Back at
the house I have LED lights everywhere and when I was last at home
in January, there was a power outage that lasted 6 1/2 hours. One
small 500 watt UPS ran my LED desk lamps the whole time without
any loss of brightness which allowed me to get around the house
without any fear of tripping over something in the dark. I think
it would easily run the lights for 12 hours. ^_^

It was an old pressure cleaner with a bad pump. This will run the
2 onboard inverters and charge a big deep cycle trolling motor
battery without breathing hard.

I'd say so. What's it pushing amp wise? over 100 or so?

I don't know much about the alternator. A junkyard guy said it was a
nice one and charged me $20 for it. I got it for something else and
never used it. Then I had the idea of using it on a pressure washer
someone gave me when the pump went bad.
I use the little UPS battery, just to tickle the alternator to get it
going. I imagine a big capacitor would work for that too.
It was a common trick on old Triumph choppers to get rid of the
battery and lower the seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:23:57 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got this from a friend:
=======================================
Chris, without power the only way that I understand
that you could communicate is by foot, horse,
bicycle, runner other than that you could shout,
maybe you can give me other Idea's.
Scott
=======================================

What ideas do we have for Scott?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Does anyone use CB radio anymore? I guess I could plug one of those into my generator and talk until the gas ran out. Maybe I should add a CB radio to my emergency supplies; we're right near an Interstate highway so we might be able to connect to a truck passing by.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2015 9:19 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

Does anyone use CB radio anymore? I guess I could

plug one of those into my generator and talk until
the gas ran out. Maybe I should add a CB radio to
my emergency supplies; we're right near an Interstate
highway so we might be able to connect to a truck
passing by.

Paul

I was active on CB for a lot of years. One night
I got blocked by a wreck on the limited access highway.
Sat for an hour and a half. Finally shut down the
vehicle, got out and walked around. Sitting in the
hammer lane of a 65 MPH zone.

Felt so stupid, not having a CB, the truckers all
knew what was going on. I resolved to always have
a CB in the vehicle.

Fewer people on CB these days. As with any open band,
the info is as good as the person giving. Which might
be totally mistaken info. Most or many CB operate on
12 volts, which means you can wire it in to the car,
or to a marine battery.

--
..
Christopher A. Young