Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Condenser fan motor substitute

I have a very old carrier condenser. I need a replacement fan motor. The current motor is a 5kcp39bg GE unit with the following specs:

RPM = 1100 HP= 1/10 HZ = 60 u = 208-230. A= .75 Rot Cap = 5.00/370.

What I am finding is no one has a direct replacement. Several mention using another horsepower motor but then the amps are different.

What would be "safe" to use if having to go up in horsepower/amps?

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. Do any of the above numbers show the fit or proper spacing of the studs?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stryped,

Here's a replacement
http://www.amazon.com/GE-5KCP39BGK335S/dp/B00413AT2Q
It's pricey but should be a drop-in replacement.
Google has lots of these. Do a little research to find a better price. I'm
amazed that your local appliance parts store can't help you out. The same
starter cap should be ok. No idea about your "acorn nuts" question but I
doubt any part of the model number speaks about motor mounting.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

None of the numbers show the mounting . The Rot. Cap=500/370 is the
capacitor for the motor. Are you sure it is the motor and not the capacitor
? The capacitor s often go bad more so than the actual motor.

If you do change the motor make sure you get a capacitor to match the motor.
The rating on the capacitor is 5 MFD with a voltage of 370 volts. YOu can
and maybe should use one with a rating of 440 volts.

wrote in message
I have a very old carrier condenser. I need a replacement fan motor. The
current motor is a 5kcp39bg GE unit with the following specs:

RPM = 1100 HP= 1/10 HZ = 60 u = 208-230. A= .75 Rot Cap =
5.00/370.

What I am finding is no one has a direct replacement. Several mention
using another horsepower motor but then the amps are different.

What would be "safe" to use if having to go up in horsepower/amps?

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. Do
any of the above numbers show the fit or proper spacing of the studs?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 10:56:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a very old carrier condenser. I need a replacement fan motor. The current motor is a 5kcp39bg GE unit with the following specs:

RPM = 1100 HP= 1/10 HZ = 60 u = 208-230. A= .75 Rot Cap = 5.00/370.

What I am finding is no one has a direct replacement. Several mention using another horsepower motor but then the amps are different.

What would be "safe" to use if having to go up in horsepower/amps?

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. Do any of the above numbers show the fit or proper spacing of the studs?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

You can almost certainly go up in hp, to a size that you can find.
I say "almost certainly", because technically we don't know what's
supplying the current to run the motor. It's usually driven right
off the contactor/relay which could handle a bigger
motor. The current isn't going to be drastically different anyway,
because the actual load determines most of it and that isn't changing,
ie it's still the same fan moving at same RPM.

The mounting locations are determined by the frame size. Whether it
has studs coming out, which is what you want, you may be able to
figure out from pics. I was having the same issue when trying to
figure out how they mount to replace mine. That mounting is common
for condenser fan motors and if you google and search for that you
will find them.

As others have said,
make sure you get a new cap as per the reqts of the new motor, not
old one. And also, as someone said, it's possible your motor is OK
and it's just the cap, which is a common failure.

I'd google to find the major motor manufacturers, then go to their
website/catalogs, look for condenser fan motors and see what they
have. Once you have a couple part numbers, you can google for the
best prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. Do
any of the above numbers show the fit or proper spacing of the studs?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The mountings are usually standardized.

Make sure you get the correct direction of rotation...

that was probably ROT = CCW or CW

some replacment motors can be wired for either CCW or CW.

THe fan will not work correctly if it is spinning the wrong way, and no you cannot simply mount the fan upside down to correct it.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:24:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. Do
any of the above numbers show the fit or proper spacing of the studs?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The mountings are usually standardized.

Make sure you get the correct direction of rotation...

that was probably ROT = CCW or CW

some replacment motors can be wired for either CCW or CW.

THe fan will not work correctly if it is spinning the wrong way, and no you cannot simply mount the fan upside down to correct it.

Mark

I guess we should add shaft length to the list. If he's buying
a motor intended for condenser fans, they typically have a long
one so that shouldn't be a problem, but just in case.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a very old carrier condenser. I need a replacement fan motor. The current motor is a 5kcp39bg GE unit with the following specs:

RPM = 1100 HP= 1/10 HZ = 60 u = 208-230. A= .75 Rot Cap = 5.00/370.

What I am finding is no one has a direct replacement. Several mention using another horsepower motor but then the amps are different.

What would be "safe" to use if having to go up in horsepower/amps?

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. Do any of the above numbers show the fit or proper spacing of the studs?

Look for the frame number on the motor nameplate. Get a motor with the same frame number and the mounting should be the same.

http://www.motorsanddrives.com/cowern/motorterms2.html

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/11/2015 12:40 PM, John G wrote:

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. ...

Look for the frame number on the motor nameplate. Get a motor with
the same frame number and the mounting should be the same.

That's not going to have a NEMA frame; it's a vendor-specific mount for
the purpose. He'll probably have to adapt something if can't find the
OEM replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I have to disagree. I replaced mine a couple months ago.
As I recall it was identified by frame size and it wasn't
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 12:16:41 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I replaced the cap about 2 years ago. Before it stopped working, it developed a screetching sound. When I took the fann off, I could reproduce the sound by spinning it by hand. I assume bad bearings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

electricmotorwarehouse.com in Michigan.
Good price, prompt shipping.

Great source, TH ! Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 9:56:41 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a very old carrier condenser. I need a replacement fan motor. The current motor is a 5kcp39bg GE unit with the following specs:

RPM = 1100 HP= 1/10 HZ = 60 u = 208-230. A= .75 Rot Cap = 5.00/370.

What I am finding is no one has a direct replacement. Several mention using another horsepower motor but then the amps are different.

What would be "safe" to use if having to go up in horsepower/amps?

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. Do any of the above numbers show the fit or proper spacing of the studs?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Here in Birmingham, there are two electric motor shops with a service counter where you walk in with your fan motor mounted to the grill or top of your AC condensing unit and you give it to the customer service rep behind the counter where he will pick out a replacement motor and new capacitor plus a fan blade if yours is damaged. The assembly is given to a bench tech who will remove the fan blade without damaging it, remove and replace the motor on the grill assembly, cut the shaft to length, put the blade on and test the new motor and capacitor including setting the correct rotation. If you pick a motor that has a higher rpm, you'll need to get a fan blade with less of a pitch angle than that on the slower motor you're replacing. The high pitch angle on the low rpm motors is meant to move a sufficient amount of air while making less noise than the higher rpm motor. If you keep the high pitch fan blade you must increase the horse power of your replacement motor. Most cities have one or more electric motor shops with a walk in service counter. Here's a link to a chart that will show you how to match a blade to a motor's HP and RPM. ^_^

Oh yea, someone may have already mentioned using a replacement capacitor with a higher voltage rating. Replace a 370 volt with a 440 volt capacitor because they're more resistant to power surges. It's a very good idea to replace the capacitor when the motor is replaced because a new capacitor is not that expensive. If you think about it, that capacitor is just as old as the motor and has suffered the same amount of abuse. ^_^

http://fergusonhvacchicago.com/2012/...ize-the-motor/

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:27:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I replaced the cap about 2 years ago. Before it stopped working, it developed a screetching sound. When I took the fann off, I could reproduce the sound by spinning it by hand. I assume bad bearings.

Bearings are cheap

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:03:41 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:51:52 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/11/2015 12:40 PM, John G wrote:

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. ...

Look for the frame number on the motor nameplate. Get a motor with
the same frame number and the mounting should be the same.

That's not going to have a NEMA frame; it's a vendor-specific mount for
the purpose. He'll probably have to adapt something if can't find the
OEM replacement.

--

I have to disagree. I replaced mine a couple months ago.
As I recall it was identified by frame size and it wasn't
vendor specific. Many of them are interchangeable. In my
case I had a Rheem AC and replaced a fancy ECM motor with
a basic split phase. Both had identical mounting studs, with
nuts that go on from the top of the fan housing.

If you go to the grainger site and go through the condenser fan motor
selector, frame size is one of the questions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:28:28 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Bearings are cheap

I never met a customer who wanted to pay $300.00 parts and labor to install new bearings in a $100.00 condenser fan motor. ???

If the OP was going to call a contractor, we would not be having this
conversation.
OTOH bearings are about $10 each, less if you got them online (then
more like a couple bucks) and would take 20 minutes to replace once
you got the motor on the bench.

I fix pump motors all the time and I keep a bunch of the common
bearings here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bearings are cheap

I never met a customer who wanted to pay $300.00 parts and labor to install new bearings in a $100.00 condenser fan motor. ???

If the OP was going to call a contractor, we would not be having this
conversation.
OTOH bearings are about $10 each, less if you got them online (then
more like a couple bucks) and would take 20 minutes to replace once
you got the motor on the bench.

I fix pump motors all the time and I keep a bunch of the common
bearings here.

Yea, but you and I have the tools and experience to do that sort of thing. I agree with you on the pump motors especially if they have ball bearings but most consumer grade condenser fan motors have sleeve bearings which tend to damage the shaft when the bearings fail. By the time a service tech gets to a customer's home or the customer notices the problem, the shaft is pretty well damaged. I've changed the sleeve bearings on my own motors but not for a customer because it would be hard to guarantee and a quality new motor usually has a 1 year warranty. One thing I did do for commercial customers was to install long lived ball bearing condenser fan motors in their rooftop units because those AC units are mission critical, especially for a restaurant. The largest motor I ever pulled was a 60 hp 3 phase motor on an open drive Carrier AC compressor which required an engine hoist to remove it in order to load it on a truck for a trip to the rewind shop. That was a fun job for me and my brother. **

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 22:23:54 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

most consumer grade condenser fan motors have sleeve bearings

Interesting. I didn't even suspect that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

most consumer grade condenser fan motors have sleeve bearings

Interesting. I didn't even suspect that.

Yea, the ball bearing condenser fan motors I installed for commercial customers are about a third more expensive and I'd have to explain the advantages and dependability of the ball bearing motors to sell them on the superior product. I'd use the old sales technique, "Pay me a little more now or pay me a lot later." I did a lot of modifications to AC and refrigeration systems to protect them and increase their efficiency. I'd fix them to stay fixed when a lot of service techs would do the minimum amount of work to get a unit going thinking they would make more money if the unit broke down more often. One of the guys I work with on telecom and data systems refuses to install protectors on the phone lines believing that he'll get more business when storms move in to the area and lightning damages the equipment. The only problem with that way of thinking is that so many systems can be knocked out at the same time that he can't get to all of them and the customer calls someone else and he winds up losing a customer. If your're interested, I can tel you about modifications me and my brother came up with to make electrical, computer, telecom/data and HVAC systems more reliable. It would take a page or more so I'd have to be up to it. ʘʘ

[8~{} Uncle Tech Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/12/2015 12:03 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Yea, the ball bearing condenser fan motors I installed for commercial customers are about a third more expensive and I'd have to explain the advantages and dependability of the ball bearing motors to sell them on the superior product. I'd use the old sales technique, "Pay me a little more now or pay me a lot later." I did a lot of modifications to AC and refrigeration systems to protect them and increase their efficiency. I'd fix them to stay fixed when a lot of service techs would do the minimum amount of work to get a unit going thinking they would make more money if the unit broke down more often.

Most people today get three bids and choose the cheapest one. It is rare for someone to ask for the most reliable HVAC system.
When you try to sell them a higher quality machine, they assume you're just trying to screw them.
Can't say as I blame them, the HVAC field is thick with shysters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 3:20:36 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
[...]

I'm referring to long time commercial customers who trusted me and called me and my guys for everything. We never advertised or went looking for work, it found us. About 4 years ago when I could still walk, I was up on a roof with my brother rebuilding a 7.5 ton unit for my pharmacist. We had to remove the coil in order to remove and replace the compressor which was a great deal of fun getting up on the flat roof. We were very meticulous in rebuilding that system including the time we removed the evaporator coil from the air handler and turned it around so there was better access to the connections. The system had originally been installed by another company and it took a good bit of TLC to straighten out the sloppy work which led to the compressor failure. That system has been running trouble free for 4 years now and if I could walk/climb, the only thing I'd need to do to it would be to clean it. I'm going to have to train someone who's able bodied on how the clean AC units with my foam gun. That was pretty much the last job our friend GB was involved with before he passed away. Crooks really make the honest service guys angry and those thieves tend to target older folks. Me and my brother were tempted to disassemble a smart ass who was laughing about how he sold an old couple a completely new system when the only thing wrong with their existing system was a loose blower compartment door which killed the power to their AC. We've also been to depositions were we told of how we repaired sabotaged AC's belonging to older folks. Beware the $29.95 seasonal system checkup where your HVAC system has suddenly becomes terminally ill after the AC doctor visits. O_o

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2015 6:19 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Wish I lived closer, I'd offer to help out with such things.

You can trust me; I'm a Mormon.

A term I use now and again is "iatrogenic" meaning that the
doctor caused the problem. Unwashed hands, that kind of thing.

"The patient developed an iatrogenic infection."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2015 6:19 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm going to have to train someone who's able

bodied on how the clean AC units with my foam gun. That was pretty much
the last job our friend GB was involved with before he passed away.

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster

If foam gun coil cleaning killed off your last guy,
then maybe I need to reconsider my offer?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

suggestion for the OP

buy a new motor to get your AC working ASAP

take the old motor and try replacing the bearings at your leisure

if successful, you will have a spare ready to go

and you will know how to do it for next time

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 6:47:49 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/12/2015 6:19 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm going to have to train someone who's able

bodied on how the clean AC units with my foam gun. That was pretty much
the last job our friend GB was involved with before he passed away.

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster

If foam gun coil cleaning killed off your last guy,
then maybe I need to reconsider my offer?
--
.

GB was 71 and died of lung cancer. He lost one lung to cancer but couldn't leave the damn cigarettes alone. Slow suicide is what got him. ***

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 8:30:55 AM UTC-5, wrote:
suggestion for the OP

buy a new motor to get your AC working ASAP

take the old motor and try replacing the bearings at your leisure

if successful, you will have a spare ready to go

and you will know how to do it for next time

Mark

If he wants to experiment taking the old one apart and trying to replace the bearings will require special tools to remove and replace the sleeve bearings. To get a proper fit for the bearings, he would need the correct size straight reamer and know how to use it.

[8~{} Uncle Shaft Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Condenser fan motor that doesn't smoke

On 8/12/2015 10:04 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 6:47:49 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If foam gun coil cleaning killed off your last guy,
then maybe I need to reconsider my offer?
--
.

GB was 71 and died of lung cancer. He lost one lung to cancer but couldn't leave the damn cigarettes alone. Slow suicide is what got him. ***

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

I've heard that tobacco is worse than heroin, if
that can be possible. I've asked a few smokers,
they typically had first smoke between ages
8 and 12. Clearly not old enough to make informed
decision about the rest of their lives.

Few laws on the books I like, but restricting
advertising and age of sale, I do like.

Sadly, the kids get hooked regardless.

Mormons prohibit use of tobacco, which I think
is wise.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 11:30:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I've heard that tobacco is worse than heroin, if
that can be possible. I've asked a few smokers,
they typically had first smoke between ages
8 and 12. Clearly not old enough to make informed
decision about the rest of their lives.

Few laws on the books I like, but restricting
advertising and age of sale, I do like.

Sadly, the kids get hooked regardless.

Mormons prohibit use of tobacco, which I think
is wise.

It does seem to be a personal weakness. I can smoke or not without any
desire to do it all the time. I end up smoking about 3 cigars a year
and I will smoke a cigarette if that is what everyone else is doing
but I usually don't feel the need to fit in that much.
It is true that smokers, as a group, seem to be having more fun.

I certainly do not crave it and never have but I have a pretty good
ability to walk away from anything. Never tried heroin tho. Not much
into "downers" of any kind. I avoid pain killers too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

take the motor to grainger, their counter guys are excellent at finding a match.

anone who smokes today needs their head examined.

australia has the right idea, raise tobacco tax a buck a pack yearly forever.

year one 1 dollar extra, year 5 5 dollars extra.....indefinetely
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:54:56 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

take the motor to grainger, their counter guys are excellent at finding a match.

anone who smokes today needs their head examined.

australia has the right idea, raise tobacco tax a buck a pack yearly forever.

year one 1 dollar extra, year 5 5 dollars extra.....indefinetely

That sounds like how we got the drug war here.
Now there's a great idea.

When will we learn about the failure of "prohibition"?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/11/2015 2:03 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:51:52 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/11/2015 12:40 PM, John G wrote:

Also, my motor mounts to the top of the condenser lid with acorn nuts. ...

Look for the frame number on the motor nameplate. Get a motor with
the same frame number and the mounting should be the same.

That's not going to have a NEMA frame; it's a vendor-specific mount for
the purpose. He'll probably have to adapt something if can't find the
OEM replacement.

--

I have to disagree. I replaced mine a couple months ago.
As I recall it was identified by frame size and it wasn't
vendor specific. Many of them are interchangeable. In my
case I had a Rheem AC and replaced a fancy ECM motor with
a basic split phase. Both had identical mounting studs, with
nuts that go on from the top of the fan housing.

I suppose I stand corrected... I guess should've figured there are
standardized mounting configurations for those as well given the volume
produced, although seems like I never can find anything that fits
whatever it is that _I_ have...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mormons prohibit use of tobacco, which I think
is wise.

I hear the Mormons prohibit masturbation too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mormons prohibit use of tobacco, which I think
is wise.

I hear the Mormons prohibit masturbation too.

Yes, any thing except marital sex is verboten.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mormons prohibit use of tobacco, which I think
is wise.

I hear the Mormons prohibit masturbation too.

Yes, any thing except marital sex is verboten.

When you have ten wives, why would a guy need to masturbate? They can't all have a headache, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mormons prohibit use of tobacco, which I think
is wise.

I hear the Mormons prohibit masturbation too.

Yes, any thing except marital sex is verboten.

When you have ten wives, why would a guy need to masturbate? They can't
all have a headache, right?

I guess there are no teenage boy Mormons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 11:55:08 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
take the motor to grainger, their counter guys are excellent at finding a match.

anone who smokes today needs their head examined.

australia has the right idea, raise tobacco tax a buck a pack yearly forever.

year one 1 dollar extra, year 5 5 dollars extra.....indefinetely

I'm horribly allergic to tobacco smoke because of my exposure to it as a child. Hell, I was an adult before I found out that my mother had chained smoked while me and my brother were in the womb. I went cold turkey at the age of one day and I was thought to be a colicky baby when I was actually crying for a nicotine fix. Exposing an unborn child to that horrible drug is one of the worst forms of child abuse but I can't hate my parents for it because no one knew any better back in the middle of the last century but there is no excuse today. As allergic as I am to tobacco smoke, I support the right of "adults" to indulge in any body or mind destroying substance or activity they wish to as long as they never harm anyone else because of their habits. Go smoke yourself to death but away from me. (๏̯͡๏)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

take the motor to grainger, their counter guys are excellent at finding a match.

anone who smokes today needs their head examined.

australia has the right idea, raise tobacco tax a buck a pack yearly forever.

year one 1 dollar extra, year 5 5 dollars extra.....indefinetely

That sounds like how we got the drug war here.
Now there's a great idea.

When will we learn about the failure of "prohibition"?

I've heard that the cigarette tax in New York is so high that New Yorkers go to the Indian reservation to purchase cigarettes tax free. Perhaps a smoky fraker from New York could chime in a tell everyone of his/hers/its experience with being a smoker in New York City? \_(*_*)_/

[8~{} Uncle Stinky Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mormons prohibit use of tobacco, which I think
is wise.

I hear the Mormons prohibit masturbation too.

If they didn't, there would be a lot of blind Mormons. ( )

[8~{} Uncle Blind Monster