Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to use to clean stove grease

Posted May 29, 2015

I just bought a used gas kitchen range (stove). It's in good shape, but
the "pan" under the 4 burners is coated with grease. I left it outdoors
and tried to hose that crud off, but it's really baked on. Dish
detergent did not help much. It's not easy to get under the pipes and
stuff to scrub it. Is there some cleaning solution to remove that stuff?
I thought of oven cleaner, but I believe that needs to be applied to a
hot oven, which I cant do. What do other people use for this?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/29/2015 06:48 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I just bought a used gas kitchen range (stove). It's in good shape,
but the "pan" under the 4 burners is coated with grease. I left it
outdoors and tried to hose that crud off, but it's really baked on.
Dish detergent did not help much. It's not easy to get under the
pipes and stuff to scrub it. Is there some cleaning solution to
remove that stuff? I thought of oven cleaner, but I believe that
needs to be applied to a hot oven, which I cant do. What do other
people use for this?

\
Lye

As long as the "pans" are not aluminum.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 7:26:28 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
On 5/29/2015 7:58 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 6:43:13 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 6:48 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
Posted May 29, 2015

I just bought a used gas kitchen range (stove). It's in good shape,
but the "pan" under the 4 burners is coated with grease. I left it
outdoors and tried to hose that crud off, but it's really baked on.
Dish detergent did not help much. It's not easy to get under the
pipes and stuff to scrub it. Is there some cleaning solution to
remove that stuff? I thought of oven cleaner, but I believe that
needs to be applied to a hot oven, which I cant do. What do other
people use for this?
\
Lye

Which can be found in drain cleaner, or oven
cleaner.

I'd try the oven cleaner, might do the job
even if it's cold. If you can get the pan out,
a pressure washer might do the job for you.

-

I wonder if a heat gun or propane torch with a flame spreader could be used to heat it up enough for oven cleaner and a non metallic scraper to be used to remove the burnt on grease. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Oven Monster

I've used oven cleaner "cold" on many things including pots & pans and
on oven grates. Works good. Many oven cleaners say that they work hot
of cold, they just take a little longer cold.

I cleaned a commercial deep fryer with oven cleaner and it worked very well. Of course I did it outdoors where it could be hosed off. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Fry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Posted May 29, 2015

I just bought a used gas kitchen range (stove). It's in good shape, but
the "pan" under the 4 burners is coated with grease. I left it outdoors
and tried to hose that crud off, but it's really baked on. Dish
detergent did not help much. It's not easy to get under the pipes and
stuff to scrub it. Is there some cleaning solution to remove that stuff?
I thought of oven cleaner, but I believe that needs to be applied to a
hot oven, which I cant do. What do other people use for this?

Thanks.

You could get the old lady off her bon-bon eatin' ass and do it.
Just sayin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2015 9:24 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I cleaned a commercial deep fryer with oven

cleaner and it worked very well. Of course I

did it outdoors where it could be hosed off.

8-)

[8~{} Uncle Fry Monster

Lot to be said for working outdoors. Wish
you had tried a power washer, see how
that works.

I found out that my little electric power
washer cleans white plastic news paper delivery
tubes, white trailer skirting, and white
plastic lawn chairs. Need to use round solid
stream, though.
-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 02:08:18 -0700, wrote:

Posted May 29, 2015

I just bought a used gas kitchen range (stove). It's in good shape, but
the "pan" under the 4 burners is coated with grease. I left it outdoors
and tried to hose that crud off, but it's really baked on. Dish
detergent did not help much. It's not easy to get under the pipes and
stuff to scrub it. Is there some cleaning solution to remove that stuff?
I thought of oven cleaner, but I believe that needs to be applied to a
hot oven, which I cant do. What do other people use for this?

Thanks.

ZEP aerosol can for kitchen/auto. Spray on, wait, wrap in plasic, let sit
for hours, then rinse off.

Didn't hurt aluminum, metal, nor plastic. Didn't even hurt hands, ...too
much.

Bought first can at Walmart, and never found the product again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 08:26:26 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

I've used oven cleaner "cold" on many things including pots & pans and
on oven grates. Works good. Many oven cleaners say that they work hot
of cold, they just take a little longer cold.

+1 I (we) get the oven cleaner from the Dollar Store. Spray smoker
grates that are cold. My bride places them in a plastic garbage bag
for a few days. They come clean with little effort, just using a
water hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2015 3:03 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
ZEP aerosol can for kitchen/auto. Spray on, wait, wrap in plasic, let
sit for hours, then rinse off.

Didn't hurt aluminum, metal, nor plastic. Didn't even hurt hands, ...too
much.

Bought first can at Walmart, and never found the product again!

Would you like to find the product again?

If memory serves, Home Depot has that product line.

If not, then disregard above information.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2015 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:
+1 I (we) get the oven cleaner from the Dollar Store. Spray smoker
grates that are cold. My bride places them in a plastic garbage bag
for a few days. They come clean with little effort, just using a
water hose.

Oven cleaner from DT also cleans carburetors.
Need to leave it on for very short time, and
rinse completely. Really strips off varnish and
dried gasoline.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 6:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:
+1 I (we) get the oven cleaner from the Dollar Store. Spray smoker
grates that are cold. My bride places them in a plastic garbage bag
for a few days. They come clean with little effort, just using a
water hose.

Oven cleaner from DT also cleans carburetors.
Need to leave it on for very short time, and
rinse completely. Really strips off varnish and
dried gasoline.

Oven cleaner works nicely on cleaning the cooked on soot stuck to the
door glass on a wood burning stove, too.

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 9:46 AM, rebel wrote:
On 5/30/2015 6:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Oven cleaner works nicely on cleaning the cooked on soot stuck to the
door glass on a wood burning stove, too.

We've had a wood burning stove for 29 years and the absolute best thing
for cleaning the glass is...

Wet a paper towel (or shop rag) and dip it in the cold ashes in the
stove. Wipe the glass with it, scrubbing a bit where there are heavy
concentrations, and then finish up with a damp paper towel to clean off
the residue.

Heard about it and never believed it until I actually tried it. Works
like a charm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 9:46 AM, rebel wrote:
On 5/30/2015 6:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Oven cleaner works nicely on cleaning the cooked on soot stuck to the
door glass on a wood burning stove, too.

We've had a wood burning stove for 29 years and the absolute best thing
for cleaning the glass is...

Wet a paper towel (or shop rag) and dip it in the cold ashes in the
stove. Wipe the glass with it, scrubbing a bit where there are heavy
concentrations, and then finish up with a damp paper towel to clean off
the residue.

Heard about it and never believed it until I actually tried it. Works
like a charm.

No kidding? Never heard of that before. I'll have to give it a try. I
hate using oven cleaner on the glass because of the strong smell. Thanks
for the idea.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 04:08:18 -0500, wrote:

Posted May 29, 2015

I just bought a used gas kitchen range (stove). It's in good shape, but
the "pan" under the 4 burners is coated with grease. I left it outdoors
and tried to hose that crud off, but it's really baked on. Dish
detergent did not help much. It's not easy to get under the pipes and
stuff to scrub it. Is there some cleaning solution to remove that stuff?
I thought of oven cleaner, but I believe that needs to be applied to a
hot oven, which I cant do. What do other people use for this?

Thanks.

I wonder if some sort of automotive cleaner would work. Would some
type of
hand cleaner like orange Goop do any good?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 10:46 AM, rebel wrote:
Oven cleaner from DT also cleans carburetors.
Need to leave it on for very short time, and
rinse completely. Really strips off varnish and
dried gasoline.

Oven cleaner works nicely on cleaning the cooked on soot stuck to the
door glass on a wood burning stove, too.

That reminds me, also cleans camping pots with
pine tree wood smoke.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 11:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/30/2015 10:46 AM, rebel wrote:
Oven cleaner from DT also cleans carburetors.
Need to leave it on for very short time, and
rinse completely. Really strips off varnish and
dried gasoline.

Oven cleaner works nicely on cleaning the cooked on soot stuck to the
door glass on a wood burning stove, too.

That reminds me, also cleans camping pots with
pine tree wood smoke.

That's good to know in case I go camping. Thanks!

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 09:55:41 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote in

We've had a wood burning stove for 29 years and the absolute best thing
for cleaning the glass is...

Hang onto that wood burner. New EPA regs are going to put the make
wood burners useless for "real" heating and put manufacturers out of
business.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...w-wood-stoves/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/30/2015 9:46 AM, rebel wrote:
On 5/30/2015 6:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Oven cleaner works nicely on cleaning the cooked on soot stuck to the
door glass on a wood burning stove, too.

We've had a wood burning stove for 29 years and the absolute best thing
for cleaning the glass is...

Wet a paper towel (or shop rag) and dip it in the cold ashes in the
stove. Wipe the glass with it, scrubbing a bit where there are heavy
concentrations, and then finish up with a damp paper towel to clean off
the residue.

Heard about it and never believed it until I actually tried it. Works
like a charm.

Wood ash mixed with a little water to make a paste is a good way to
clean pots and pans. It's a mild abrasive, and works similarly to
"Comet" or any of those abrasive cleaners they sell. I have been using
wood ash most of my life to clean stuff. I learned that when I was a Boy
Scout, and we used it to clean baked on food from our cooking utensels.

Once it removes all the grime, you simply wash off the wood ash paste
with water. A little powdered wood ash on a toothbrush makes your teeth
real white too. There are a lot of uses, and it costs nothing to use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[8~{} Uncle Oven Monster

I've used oven cleaner "cold" on many things including pots & pans and
on oven grates. Works good. Many oven cleaners say that they work hot
of cold, they just take a little longer cold.

I got a can of oven cleaner, sprayed it on, let it sit an hour or so,
and hosed all the crud off. Aside from a few clumps, which I scraped
off, it cleaned well. I followed up with some dish detergent and hosed
it again. Now it's in the house drying. I'm sure it will need to dry for
a day before I use it.

Side note. If you spray the hose into the end of those burners with all
the little holes, they become a sprinkler! I sprayed the hose in them
to clean all the holes, but the sprinkler idea may be a good way to
recycle old stove parts.

I suppose I better go mop the floor again. Lots of water running off....
(It dont help that it's raining outside.. Otherwise I would have let it
dry outdoors).

By the way, that oven cleaner is very slippery. Even after rinsing my
hands several times, they still feel slippery!!!! Next time I'll wear
rubber gloves...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:02:00 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

Hang onto that wood burner. New EPA regs are going to put the make
wood burners useless for "real" heating and put manufacturers out of
business.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...w-wood-stoves/

FOXNEWS? You dont really believe any of the crap, do you?
Foxnews is only there for one purpose, to incite FEAR into anyone who
does not follow their partisan agenda!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 1:02 PM, CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2015 09:55:41 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote in

We've had a wood burning stove for 29 years and the absolute best thing
for cleaning the glass is...

Hang onto that wood burner. New EPA regs are going to put the make
wood burners useless for "real" heating and put manufacturers out of
business.

Count on it, my friend. It was rated as very efficient at the time we
purchased it - a Kent Tile Fire. Manufactured in New Zealand where the
emissions standards were much stricter at the time. Firebox is 5/16" or
3/8" (?) steel plate and the exterior and door are porcelain finished.
Looks as new today as the day we installed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 12:31:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Oven cleaner works nicely on cleaning the cooked on soot stuck to the
door glass on a wood burning stove, too.

That reminds me, also cleans camping pots with
pine tree wood smoke.

Back in the day, I'd used mud from the creek bank to scour camp fire
pots and pans. Think abrasive...never had oven cleaner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hang onto that wood burner. New EPA regs are going to put the make
wood burners useless for "real" heating and put manufacturers out of
business.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...w-wood-stoves/

FOXNEWS? You dont really believe any of the crap, do you?
Foxnews is only there for one purpose, to incite FEAR into anyone who
does not follow their partisan agenda!!!

Home Guy,

You have a link to support your silly notion that FOX NEWS has a
single agenda to "incite FEAR"? Keep drinking the Kook Aid up there in
Canukistan. Fool! Until you give a credible source - STFU.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hang onto that wood burner. New EPA regs are going to put the make
wood burners useless for "real" heating and put manufacturers out of
business.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...w-wood-stoves/

FOXNEWS? You dont really believe any of the crap, do you?
Foxnews is only there for one purpose, to incite FEAR into anyone who
does not follow their partisan agenda!!!

Home Guy,

You have a link to support your silly notion that FOX NEWS has a
single agenda to "incite FEAR"? Keep drinking the Kook Aid up there in
Canukistan. Fool! Until you give a credible source - STFU.

Furthermore; the article is credited to:

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/feds-announce-plans-for-stricter-wood-stove-regulations/article_7c5bb770-9bde-5f5b-a039-5246b72644ab.html

https://tinyurl.com/l4btp9h

And from the EPA http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters

Stick your thick head up again and it may get kicked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 1:24:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

It's the strong base that's dissolving your skin which makes it feel slippery. If the odor doesn't bother you, you could rinse your hands in vinegar and that should help with the slipperiness. I do believe the instructions and warnings on the can should have convinced you to wear gloves. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Slick Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 12:48 PM, rebel wrote:
Oven cleaner works nicely on cleaning the cooked on soot stuck to the
door glass on a wood burning stove, too.

That reminds me, also cleans camping pots with
pine tree wood smoke.

That's good to know in case I go camping. Thanks!

I think lye dissolves aluminum. Rinse promptly,
please, to keep the metal.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hang onto that wood burner. New EPA regs are going to put the make
wood burners useless for "real" heating and put manufacturers out of
business.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...w-wood-stoves/

FOXNEWS? You dont really believe any of the crap, do you?
Foxnews is only there for one purpose, to incite FEAR into anyone who
does not follow their partisan agenda!!!

Home Guy,

You have a link to support your silly notion that FOX NEWS has a
single agenda to "incite FEAR"? Keep drinking the Kook Aid up there in
Canukistan. Fool! Until you give a credible source - STFU.

I've noticed that the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks howl about freedom of speech but they sure do want to silence Fox News. What are they afraid of? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Fox Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to use to clean Fox news?

On 5/30/2015 5:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I've noticed that the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks howl about freedom of speech but they sure do want to silence Fox News. What are they afraid of? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Fox Monster

Hmm. Truth, maybe?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 5:27:10 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/30/2015 5:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I've noticed that the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks howl about freedom of speech but they sure do want to silence Fox News. What are they afraid of? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Fox Monster

Hmm. Truth, maybe?

That's why I try to watch as many different sources of news not just Fox because they all, including Fox, have their own spin. I filter out the spin and the male bovine droppings to get the real story. If I notice the same facts spun into the different stories, then I believe I have the truth. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Spin Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 5:39 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 5:27:10 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/30/2015 5:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I've noticed that the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks howl about freedom of speech but they sure do want to silence Fox News. What are they afraid of? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Fox Monster

Hmm. Truth, maybe?

That's why I try to watch as many different sources of news not just Fox because they all, including Fox, have their own spin. I filter out the spin and the male bovine droppings to get the real story. If I notice the same facts spun into the different stories, then I believe I have the truth. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Spin Monster

Lately, I just watch the weather!

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hang onto that wood burner. New EPA regs are going to put the make
wood burners useless for "real" heating and put manufacturers out of
business.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...w-wood-stoves/

FOXNEWS? You dont really believe any of the crap, do you?
Foxnews is only there for one purpose, to incite FEAR into anyone who
does not follow their partisan agenda!!!

Home Guy,

You have a link to support your silly notion that FOX NEWS has a
single agenda to "incite FEAR"? Keep drinking the Kook Aid up there in
Canukistan. Fool! Until you give a credible source - STFU.

I've noticed that the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks howl about freedom of speech but they sure do want to silence Fox News. What are they afraid of? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Fox Monster

Afraid of? May I suggest facts? Facts you don't see from other
sources. Dufas knows of Home Guy from up there in Canada. The guy is
notorious for nym shifting., trolling and has a severe hatred of
America.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 18:27:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/30/2015 5:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I've noticed that the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks howl about freedom of speech but they sure do want to silence Fox News. What are they afraid of? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Fox Monster

Hmm. Truth, maybe?

What about "justice and the American way" too?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh, I know a few Canadians but Home Guy isn't one of them. Is he/she/it one of those Uber Leftists or something? O_o

[8~{} Uncle American Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/30/2015 5:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I've noticed that the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks howl about freedom of speech but they sure do want to silence Fox News. What are they afraid of? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Fox Monster

Hmm. Truth, maybe?

What about "justice and the American way" too?

It's a bird! It's a plane!..... 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Super Monster