Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to use to clean stove grease

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 7:26:28 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
On 5/29/2015 7:58 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 6:43:13 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 6:48 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
Posted May 29, 2015

I just bought a used gas kitchen range (stove). It's in good shape,
but the "pan" under the 4 burners is coated with grease. I left it
outdoors and tried to hose that crud off, but it's really baked on.
Dish detergent did not help much. It's not easy to get under the
pipes and stuff to scrub it. Is there some cleaning solution to
remove that stuff? I thought of oven cleaner, but I believe that
needs to be applied to a hot oven, which I cant do. What do other
people use for this?
\
Lye

Which can be found in drain cleaner, or oven
cleaner.

I'd try the oven cleaner, might do the job
even if it's cold. If you can get the pan out,
a pressure washer might do the job for you.

-

I wonder if a heat gun or propane torch with a flame spreader could be used to heat it up enough for oven cleaner and a non metallic scraper to be used to remove the burnt on grease. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Oven Monster

I've used oven cleaner "cold" on many things including pots & pans and
on oven grates. Works good. Many oven cleaners say that they work hot
of cold, they just take a little longer cold.

I cleaned a commercial deep fryer with oven cleaner and it worked very well. Of course I did it outdoors where it could be hosed off. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Fry Monster