Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clean My Elec Stove?

I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan
above it. It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls
and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway,
what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? I have tried
a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very
well, if at all.

Thanks
-GECKO
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gecko" wrote in message
news
I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan
above it. It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls
and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway,
what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? I have tried
a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very
well, if at all.

Thanks
-GECKO

What object are you scrubbing with?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:05:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

What object are you scrubbing with?

Nothing yet - just a rag.
-G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 10:39�am, gecko wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:05:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

What object are you scrubbing with?

Nothing yet - just a rag.
-G

greenie and 409 or fantastic, first spray heavy then let it soak
awhile

its best to keep after things like this and not give them time to
build up and bake on.........

clean more often is way easier
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gecko" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:05:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

What object are you scrubbing with?

Nothing yet - just a rag.
-G

Get a 2-sided scrub sponge and try the rough side along with whatever the
stove manufacturer recommends. Some suggest Soft Scrub, but check first.
There's also this product: http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/powerscrubbers.do
I use that to clean my BBQ.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:51:26 GMT, gecko wrote:
I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan
above it. It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls
and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway,
what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? I have tried
a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very
well, if at all.

RTFM to see what is safe to use. Visit the GE site if you don't have a copy.
A plastic scrubber and 409 should be safe. However, 409 may contain bleach
which may remove the stove's labeling. Or you may be able to use oven
cleaner. You have to RTFM.

Once you get the accumulated crap off, you have to make it a habit to wipe the
splatter off every time you use the stove. Its a thousand times easier to
wipe the splatter off before it dries up and petrifies. Think about using
lids or screens to contain the splatter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 8:51*am, gecko wrote:
I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan
above it. *It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls
and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway,
what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? *I have tried
a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very
well, if at all.

Thanks
-GECKO

Remove all the knobs, they pull off and soak them. put paper towels
over the stove and spray them soaking wet with maybe 409 so it can
soak for hours and release the grease without drying, then scrub away.
On burnt on stuff a New razorblade works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:15:14 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

Remove all the knobs, they pull off and soak them. put paper towels
over the stove and spray them soaking wet with maybe 409 so it can
soak for hours and release the grease without drying, then scrub away.
On burnt on stuff a New razorblade works.

Thanks guys.

I should have added that I have a wife. Now how to get her to do
suggested cleaning techniques. I guess not. I'll attempt some
myself.

-GECKO
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Remove all the knobs, they pull off and soak them. put paper towels
over the stove and spray them soaking wet with maybe 409 so it can
soak for hours and release the grease without drying, then scrub away.
On burnt on stuff a New razorblade works.

Thanks guys.

I should have added that I have a wife. Now how to get her to do
suggested cleaning techniques. I guess not. I'll attempt some
myself.

-GECKO

Pansy. Do it yourself. You said "my grimy hands". Clean up after yourself
like a real man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gecko wrote in
news
I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan
above it. It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls
and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway,
what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? I have tried
a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very
well, if at all.

Thanks
-GECKO

Glass Plus(Windex competitor) works good for removing grease.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

gecko wrote:

I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan
above it. It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls
and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway,
what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? I have tried
a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very
well, if at all.

Thanks
-GECKO

What are the parts you want to clean? Stainless? Plastic, white or
black? the glass top itself? If you can pull off the knobs,
put them in the sink with dish detergent and nylon scrubber. Formula
409 is fairly good for greasy dirt.
Fantastic is better, but tough on the markings on plastic knobs and
dials. Be sure not to get water down into
the guts while cleaning if you take off knobs - our cooktop got some
burnt wires from doing that.

I use a razor blade scraper on the glass cooktop, new blade, very
carefully. Finish up with Barkeeper's Friend.
For greasy dirt, denatured alcohol works very well. I would not use it
on paint or plastic. If there
is just dried on crud, not greasy, lay a moistened cloth on it to soften
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

gecko wrote:

[...]

I forgot to say...... DON'T USE FANTASTIC ON GLASS. As always, read
the manual and labels on all
cleaning products.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:51:26 GMT, gecko wrote:

I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan
above it. It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls
and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway,
what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? I have tried
a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very
well, if at all.

Thanks
-GECKO

Be careful what you use on the controls because some cleaners can
remove the printing on them. I use Dawn dishwashing detergent and
warm water.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:51:26 GMT, gecko wrote:

I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan
above it. It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls
and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway,
what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? I have tried
a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very
well, if at all.

Thanks
-GECKO

i USED Fantastic for grease stuff -- it was fantastic -- until they
changed something a few years ago and it made me sneeze. It might not
make you sneeze. I switched to 409, which came out about the same
time and I figured was the same stuff. It works well.

I wouldn't use anything but a rag or paper towels. Bounty brand is
more expensive but much tougher and worth it if you aren't just going
to dab and throw it away, so here is a good place to use them.

I bought Dawn dishwashing detergent when it came out, and maybe it did
cut grease in the sink but it made every one of my cuts sting, and I
usually have several less than a day or 2 old. No soap had ever done
that before, so I don't use it unless there is a lot of grease
involved, although I didn't have much grease the times I did use it
and don't really know that it's better. But since that is their main
advertising point, surely it is better than most other products. I
don't know if they have a separate surface cleaner or if it works well
or if it stings too, but you wouldn't be putting your hands all the
way in it, like a sink.

By being careful, and not cleaning that often I haven't scratched
any of my appliances in 25 years, except that much of the white
writing has come off the dishwasher top panel. I would take the rest
off**, and it would look great, but I'm afraid I'll forget which
position of the switch turns off the drying stage heater. Nothing
looks crummier than a nice looking appliancne with a painted surface
somewher full of scratches.

**I would rub it off with my finger tip. No chance of scratching.