Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool multi-port valve, turn handle in one direction?

Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says you're only supposed to turn them in one direction otherwise
it will screw up the spider gasket that's at the bottom of the
valve. But I don't see how that can happen. The valve uses a
spring to push the disc inside down onto that spider gasket/seal.
To move the valve, you push the handle down, which moves the disk
up so you can rotate it. At that point, nothing is even touching
the gasket/seal, so I don't see how which direction you turn it
matters. I do see how if you try to turn it without pressing
the handle all the way down, that would rub against the gasket
and could dislodge it, screw it up, etc.

I've also seen threads about this online, with some alleged pool
experts also giving the "only turn it one way" advice. But the
manual for the valve says nothing. Nor is there any arrow or
indication of this issue on the valve itself.

Here's it the type of valve:

http://i45.tinypic.com/5xr582.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2015 07:38:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I've not had that type valve. Seems to me it would be okay to turn in
either direction. I mean why turn from backwash to close by turning
all the way around (left) in one direction when you can change to
close with a simple move to the right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:38:40 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says...

Frankly, I'm surprised you HAVE any friends...and since when do you need validation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:56:40 AM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:38:40 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says...

Frankly, I'm surprised you HAVE any friends...and since when do you need validation?

Another clear indication of who it is that's intolerant and turns
valid threads into insults.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The theory from the believers is that the spider gasket at the
bottom doesn't like getting rubbed both ways..... But like I said,
when you push the handle down, it lifts the plate gizmo completely
off the seal, by probably 1/4" so I don't see how it can happen.

Here's a diagram of the valve:

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/PC_...ts_SP_0598.jpg

The gasket/seal is #11, the plate that presses down on it is #10.
The plate has a spring that pushes it against the seal. When you
push the handle down to move it, it pulls the plate up off the
seal, compressing the spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

SWAG is the "believers" have read to much into the operation of the
valve. If it was intended to operate in one direction - there would
some type of stop to prevent both directions, no? If 10 is clearing
11, it can't rub, best I can tell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:02:02 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:56:40 AM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:38:40 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says...

Frankly, I'm surprised you HAVE any friends...and since when do you need validation?

Another clear indication of who it is that's intolerant and turns
valid threads into insults.

You clearly have a problem, like your roof vent tirade with micky...think about how this goes over with the people around you? May be it's time to seek help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Or at least an arrow on the top, with "turn this way only".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 12:05:10 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:02:02 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:56:40 AM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:38:40 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says...

Frankly, I'm surprised you HAVE any friends...and since when do you need validation?

Another clear indication of who it is that's intolerant and turns
valid threads into insults.

You clearly have a problem, like your roof vent tirade with micky...think about how this goes over with the people around you? May be it's time to seek help?

I have a problem? I posted a legitimate question here. YOU
came in here, didn't post anything to do with the question
and instead started a personal attack. That's because
you obviously don't know anything about pool valves or anything
else. As for the Micky thing, no tirade, just asked for a link
to his ridge vent product that has the impossible characteristics
he listed, that's all. You're just sore because whenever anyone
ask you to back up anything here, you can't and you wind up
embarrassing yourself. Again, just the facts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says you're only supposed to turn them in one direction otherwise
it will screw up the spider gasket that's at the bottom of the
valve. But I don't see how that can happen.

What did the pool store (or manufacturer) say when you asked?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 1:59:30 PM UTC-4, Don Phillipson wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says you're only supposed to turn them in one direction otherwise
it will screw up the spider gasket that's at the bottom of the
valve. But I don't see how that can happen.

What did the pool store (or manufacturer) say when you asked?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

As I stated in my original post, nothing in the manufacturer's
manual. Pool stores, in my experience are full of BS, unless
you think a pimple faced summer HS student is an expert.
Thanks for the usual, what does the MF say stuff. And I gather,
like some others here, you don't even know WTG this valve is,]
do you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 11:18:26 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

My advice to you (if you have sense enough) would be to leave this friend do what he has been doing (successfully) since this was how he learned to do it. You know the answer already to your own question...so there is no need to ask it here. Again...just the facts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 3:52:22 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

Again, you don't know the subject material, so why make an ass
of yourself? I know. That's what you libs like to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The only time you do not want to turn a multiport pool valve
in either direction is when the PUMP IS ON.

I made that mistake 4 years ago, replaced the whole
Hayward head, and never repeated it.

Other than that, it's just like a TV tuner knob - can
be turned either way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren:

(Kmanrocks puts on his best full metal jacket)...

PRIVATE PYLE, YOU JUST LIKE TO BE
DIFFERENT!!!

The instruction manual for the Haywards,
at least, says that DAMAGE CAN RESULT
from moving the valve selector while the
pump is ON, under pressure of water passing
through it.

Why do IDIOTS always have to challenge and
refute everything I say on Usenet??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 4:30:55 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

Again, you don't know the subject material, so why make an ass
of yourself? I know. That's what you libs like to do.

Why would I need to know...I'm giving YOU advice though? You won't take it and you don't like it, but it is advice! And then it goes political, because you know I have a point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2015 5:30 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 3:52:22 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 11:18:26 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 12:05:10 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:02:02 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:56:40 AM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:38:40 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says...

| |
| | [christmas presents]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren:

How about just taking my word for it? I f___d it up changing
modes while the motor was running, despite labeling to the
contrary. Your particular brand may allow mode changes
while pump is running. I was just giving general advice.

I don't make this stuff up, especially considering the orig. poster
is looking for advice. Do I look like I have FOX NEWS' logo
on my forehead?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2015 9:38 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Last time I replaced mine the pool guy at our local pool store said to
only turn one way. He's always given me good advice.

I admit that it doesn't seem to matter but it may have something to do
with not pushing the handle all the way down when twisting. I replaced
mine Nov 2013 and I'm not having any spider gasket issues. As I recall
there is a ridge that can get worn fairly easily. You can see the ridge here

http://www.inyopools.com/howtoimages...g&maxwidth=800

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2015 19:32:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
I just got back from a Memorial Day picnic.
Wearing my seat belt, driving my state inspected
vehicle, under the speed limit, and sober. With
two license plates, inspection sticker, registration
sticker in the windshield, after eating USFDA
inspected and approved hot dogs, drinking
chlorinated
water, and associating with people in ATF approved
religion. I wore inspected and safety insured clothes
made in union shops, and didn't display any type of
weapon openly (much less a firearm).

That was just funny to read!

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I just got back from a Memorial Day picnic.
Wearing my seat belt, driving my state inspected
vehicle, under the speed limit, and sober. With
two license plates, inspection sticker, registration
sticker in the windshield, after eating USFDA
inspected and approved hot dogs, drinking
chlorinated
water, and associating with people in ATF approved
religion. I wore inspected and safety insured clothes
made in union shops, and didn't display any type of
weapon openly (much less a firearm).

That was just funny to read!

I'd have called it kind of tragedy comedy.
This message approved by NSA.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 8:49:24 PM UTC-4, gonjah wrote:
[...]

I replaced the spider seal here about 2 years ago, I think.
This time it's the shaft seal that has a slow leak. When
the pump shuts off, you can hear air going in and over hours,
the filter tank winds up draining back into the pool. I have
a seal kit coming.

I agree that not pushing the handle all the way down could
be a problem. Some of those gaskets apparently aren't even
glued in. If the plate is still against it, not only would
it wear it, but could also pull it out of the gap it sits in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 4:01:59 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Oren:

(Kmanrocks puts on his best full metal jacket)...

PRIVATE PYLE, YOU JUST LIKE TO BE
DIFFERENT!!!

The instruction manual for the Haywards,
at least, says that DAMAGE CAN RESULT
from moving the valve selector while the
pump is ON, under pressure of water passing
through it.

Why do IDIOTS always have to challenge and
refute everything I say on Usenet??

The term "full metal jacket" refers to a bullet's casing. It has nothing to do with the guy's jacket. (lol)