Posted to alt.home.repair

Default faucet handle turning direction

replying to dadiOH, enigma-2 wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

You could get them back to what you are used to by swapping hot and cold
lines. Then all you'd have to remember is that cold is left, hot right.

--
dadiOH

Under no circumstances do this. Hot is ALWAYS on the left (and plumbing
codes require this).

The proper fix is actually easier. Just remove the cartridge on the cold
and reverse it. Should take no more than 5 minutes.

You will need a #2 Phillips screwdriver and an adjustable wrench or
channel lock pliers.

PROCEDU
1.Turn off the water under the basin.
2.Close or stopped drain (to prevent small parts from falling into drain).
3.Pry off the knob cap, then remove the knob with a Phillips screwdriver.
4.Under the knob there is a large nut which holds the cartridge in place.
Remove the nut with an adjustable wrench or channel lock pliers (what I
used).
5.Wiggle up the cartridge by rocking it back and forth.
6.Once out, turn the cartridge 180° and reinsert. Note that there are
tabs projecting out each side of the cartridge, that fit into slots in the
valve body.
7.Once back in, press down as far as it will go and turn the cap nut back
down to tighten seat the cartridge in place. Snug the nut an extra 1/8 to
1/4 turn.
8.Place knob back on and secure with screw. press knob cap back into
place, placing the "H" or "C" letter in the upright position.
9.Turn the water back on and check for leaks.

Senior Member

DadiOH: Sorry, but where I live hot is always on the left was well.

Enigma: Why does the plumbing code require that hot be on the left? I know hot is normally on the left, but I didn't know that there was a requirement that it be so. And, I know even less why there would be such a requirement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2014 6:03 PM, nestork wrote:
DadiOH: Sorry, but where I live hot is always on the left was well.

Enigma: Why does the plumbing code require that hot be on the left? I
know hot is normally on the left, but I didn't know that there was a
requirement that it be so. And, I know even less why there would be
such a requirement.

As my father explained to me, most folks are
right handed. The tendency is to pull the right
faucet more, and they don't want people getting
burned by more hot, if hot were on the right.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to nestork , enigma-2 wrote:
nestork.e70e158 wrote:

DadiOH: Sorry, but where I live hot is always on the left was well.
Enigma: Why does the plumbing code require that hot be on the left? I
know hot is normally on the left, but I didn't know that there was a
requirement that it be so. And, I know even less why there would be
such a requirement.

Currently, there are two main plumbing codes used throughout the states.
They are the International Plumbing Code (IPC) and the Uniform Plumbing
Code (UPC).

In the IPC it reads: "607.4 Flow of hot water to fixtures. Fixture
fittings, faucets and diverters shall be installed and adjusted so that
the flow of hot water from the fittings corresponds to the left-hand side
of the fixture fitting.
Exception: Shower and tub/shower mixing valves conforming to ASSE 1016
or ASME Al12.18.1/CSA B125.1, where the flow of hot water corresponds to
the markings on the device."

In the UPC is reads: "601.3 Faucets and diverters shall be connected to
the water distribution system so that hot water corresponds to the left
side of the fittings."

I guess the best way to explain "why" is to quote the International
Plumbing Code Handbook:

One of the oldest expressions in Plumbing is: "Hot on the left, cold on
the right." The code mandates that hot corresponds to the left side of the
fixture fitting for safety reasons. It has become an accepted practice to
equate the left side of the faucet with hot water. The intent is to
protect an individual from potential scalding when turning on what is
believed to be cold water and get scalded by hot water.
Some manufacturers design a fixture fitting that can be reversed inside
the faucet if a plumber inadvertently (or intentionally in the case of
back-to-back faucets) pipes the water supplies in reverse. This type of
installation would be acceptable.
The exception provides for single-handle shower valves that comply with
ASSE-1016 or CSA-B125 and that have identifiable hot designations on the
control valve. These devices operate by rotating a single handle or knob
away from the "off' position to initiate water flow. The handle is moved
farther in the same direction to increase the temperature of flowing
water. Because the rotating operation is limited to one direction, the
user cannot mistakenly activate water flow at the maximum hot-water
setting without first rotating the handle or knob through the cold-water
setting. Also, ASSE-1016 requires control valves to have settings that
indicate clearly the direction or means of adjustment to change
temperature.