Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Pool multi-port valve, turn handle in one direction?

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 8:49:24 PM UTC-4, gonjah wrote:
On 5/25/2015 9:38 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool
multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who
says you're only supposed to turn them in one direction otherwise
it will screw up the spider gasket that's at the bottom of the
valve. But I don't see how that can happen. The valve uses a
spring to push the disc inside down onto that spider gasket/seal.
To move the valve, you push the handle down, which moves the disk
up so you can rotate it. At that point, nothing is even touching
the gasket/seal, so I don't see how which direction you turn it
matters. I do see how if you try to turn it without pressing
the handle all the way down, that would rub against the gasket
and could dislodge it, screw it up, etc.

I've also seen threads about this online, with some alleged pool
experts also giving the "only turn it one way" advice. But the
manual for the valve says nothing. Nor is there any arrow or
indication of this issue on the valve itself.

Here's it the type of valve:

http://i45.tinypic.com/5xr582.jpg

Last time I replaced mine the pool guy at our local pool store said to
only turn one way. He's always given me good advice.

I admit that it doesn't seem to matter but it may have something to do
with not pushing the handle all the way down when twisting. I replaced
mine Nov 2013 and I'm not having any spider gasket issues. As I recall
there is a ridge that can get worn fairly easily. You can see the ridge here

http://www.inyopools.com/howtoimages...g&maxwidth=800

I replaced the spider seal here about 2 years ago, I think.
This time it's the shaft seal that has a slow leak. When
the pump shuts off, you can hear air going in and over hours,
the filter tank winds up draining back into the pool. I have
a seal kit coming.

I agree that not pushing the handle all the way down could
be a problem. Some of those gaskets apparently aren't even
glued in. If the plate is still against it, not only would
it wear it, but could also pull it out of the gap it sits in.