Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Where to work

I was talking to my nephew about where to suggest he find a job. He
has said he doesn't want to have to do anything demeaning or
undignified (My guess is he doesn't want to do anything......period).
I didn't laugh out loud when he said it, but I did laugh on the
inside. Considering he just barely finished high school, I assume he
has more to learn than he thinks he does.

One place I suggested he apply for a job was the local hospital. I
was trying to think of a place that needed a more diverse range of
skills. I can think of a few places that would require some pretty
special skills (nuclear power and NASA) but I can't think of a too
many places that would require a more diverse range of skills.

We did have one electrician working at Watts Bar that was famous for
saying........I can wire anything from a two stall outhouse to a
nuclear power house.

Hospitals need everything from bed pan cleaners to brain surgeons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 May 2015 23:20:02 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote:

[...]

Tell the kid to learn to operate a shovel. Start there and tell me his
complaints later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message
[...]

That won't work. He would likely find brain surgery demeaning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymore4Head wrote:

[...]

i always recommend that kids get a career aptitude test
and talk to their counselors at school about this as it
can help them figure out what they might enjoy and i also
ask them to think about what makes them happy, what they
value and to learn how to manage money and investments.

i have them do some simple math and talk about much
money will be going through their hands in a lifetime
and that if they start early with the savings it can
add up over time to be a cushion which gives them more
freedom later. it's not any fun to get stuck in a bad
job because you can't afford to quit.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/21/2015 10:20 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
I was talking to my nephew about where to suggest he find a job. He
has said he doesn't want to have to do anything demeaning or
undignified (My guess is he doesn't want to do anything......period).

snip

You are right but I suppose his attitude is fairly normal.

Got my first job as a bus boy when I was 16 and loved it because I
stayed way too busy to ever get bored. After that my attitude on working
hard was set for life.

Truth is though I was kind of scared when I went to apply and had to be
forced into it by my mother and best friend.

A job is a job though and only demeaning if you think it so. Always
thought it was funny when the person scrubbing the toilet indignantly
said, "we don't do windows."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 May 2015 23:20:02 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote in

We did have one electrician working at Watts Bar that was famous for
saying........I can wire anything from a two stall outhouse to a
nuclear power house.

Did Watts Bar ever fininsh Unit 3?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 May 2015 20:20:02 -0700, Seymore4Head
wrote:

[...]

Barely finishing high school is immaterial, UNLESS it indicates an
inability to maintain commitment and/or focus. When I hired people, I
looked at what they have done on their own. Not, what some school poured
into their heads. After all, in the REAL work invironment, you're on your
own and HAVE to learn on your OWN. Plus, if they have accomplished
something, built something, that means they have the ability to make their
thoughts into reality. Much more valuable to me than a demonstration of a
diploma and look how much they can absorb.

I would highly recommend he look for work doing something that he actually
learns something of value. Something he will need in the future. To me,
that rules out 'service' jobs. Work alongside an expert, like a Painter,
or plumber, or car mechanic, or construction type of some kind. And LEARN!
When he's older, he'll need to know how to take care of things in his home
himself. And in the interim, he can sell his ability to 'fix' and build
things for others. And the beauty of this expertise is that it's really,
really difficult to outsource! The work HAS to be done right here.

Like my father told me, "Find something you LIKE to do, and people pay you
for; and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

Then, again, he might find a position with the govt, and also not have to
work a day in his life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was going to suggest kid developing a work ethic needed for any job -
presence on the job at set time, doing the work itself, developing
relations with coworkers etc but I think you got it right. Get a
government job. Only requirement is being able to get the job. Then
you earn money for doing nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 2:56:52 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 05/21/2015 10:20 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
I was talking to my nephew about where to suggest he find a job. He
has said he doesn't want to have to do anything demeaning or
undignified (My guess is he doesn't want to do anything......period).

snip

You are right but I suppose his attitude is fairly normal.

Got my first job as a bus boy when I was 16 and loved it because I
stayed way too busy to ever get bored. After that my attitude on working
hard was set for life.

Truth is though I was kind of scared when I went to apply and had to be
forced into it by my mother and best friend.

A job is a job though and only demeaning if you think it so. Always
thought it was funny when the person scrubbing the toilet indignantly
said, "we don't do windows."

Too many of these idiots running around demanding a minimum wage of $15 per hour don't seem to understand that a minimum wage job is not meant to be a career. If all you can do is a minimum wage job, perhaps you're an uneducated dumbass with no training or qualifications to do anything else. What happened to trying to better yourself by getting an education or going to a trade school to learn how to do a job that pays a hell of a lot more than minimum wage. Back in the 1980's, one of the jobs I had was working as an electrician for $30 an hour. My first minimum wage job paid
$1.60 an hour while I was going to school. I certainly didn't stay in a minimum wage job after graduation. Hell, I knew guys who were delivering pizzas back in the 1970's who were making $40 a night but they were working their buts off. The same thing for some waiters I knew who were able to buy a new car from the tips they were making. They worked hard for their money but the dollar was worth more back then. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Minimum Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 08:16 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

A lot of the kids today do not believe me when I tell them that I made
$1.10 an hour back in the mid-60's.

Heck...I was a kid living at home so did not depend on the pay but it
was nice for me to be able to save up a few bucks and one day walk into
a ham radio store and order over $1000 worth of all new equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 08:11 AM, Frank wrote:
t it's really, really difficult to outsource! The work
HAS to be done right here.

Like my father told me, "Find something you LIKE to do, and people pay
you for; and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

Then, again, he might find a position with the govt, and also not have
to work a day in his life.

I was going to suggest kid developing a work ethic needed for any job -
presence on the job at set time, doing the work itself, developing
relations with coworkers etc but I think you got it right. Get a
government job. Only requirement is being able to get the job. Then
you earn money for doing nothing.

I had an uncle who was a scientist and worked for the government. He was
a damn hard worker but did tell me that there were a number of people he
worked with who did nothing.

At my job there was one guy who did maybe 25% the work of everyone
else...and though it took management a hell of a long time...they
finally sent him packing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was talking to my nephew about where to suggest he find a job. He
has said he doesn't want to have to do anything demeaning or
undignified (My guess is he doesn't want to do anything......period).
I didn't laugh out loud when he said it, but I did laugh on the
inside. Considering he just barely finished high school, I assume he
has more to learn than he thinks he does.

..

Tell the kid to learn to operate a shovel. Start there and tell me his
complaints later.

He could get a job putting on roofs. That way he could start at the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 8:34:42 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

When I was in college, I worked night shift in a factory for $1.68/hr and the extra 8 cents/hr was for working at night. I was buying gasoline for 22 cents a gallon back then too. Heck, I'd go by Burger King and get a Whopper, fry and a Coke for &1.00. Dang! A dollar was worth a lot more in those days. I believe we were also still on the gold standard for our currency. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Gold Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 9:16:07 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

well its also important to have a minium wage thats high enough so the worker does not qualify for foodstamps etc......

otherwise the benefits are just subusidzing the company they are working for
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 09:34 AM, philo wrote:

A lot of the kids today do not believe me when I tell them that I made $1.10 an hour back in the mid-60's.

Heck...I was a kid living at home so did not depend on the pay but it was nice for me to be able to save up a few bucks and one day walk into a ham radio store and order over $1000 worth of all new equipment.

breaker-19...bought a new cb to but didnt pay no grand for it...got me a bird dog to to sniff out the bear in the bushs to...lol...catch ya on the downstroke flip-flop...10-4...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Billy Bigrigger" wrote in message
On 05/22/2015 09:34 AM, philo wrote:

A lot of the kids today do not believe me when I tell them that I made
$1.10 an hour back in the mid-60's.

Heck...I was a kid living at home so did not depend on the pay but it was
nice for me to be able to save up a few bucks and one day walk into a ham
radio store and order over $1000 worth of all new equipment.

breaker-19...bought a new cb to but didnt pay no grand for it...got me a
bird dog to to sniff out the bear in the bushs to...lol...catch ya on the
downstroke flip-flop...10-4...

you keep your cb, I'll stick with the ham radio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shouldn't your advice be tailored to your nephew rather
than the job market? Some people at 18 know exactly
where they're headed. Some don't. As a high school
graduate he's qualified for manual labor. Even unskilled
work like being a bank teller requires a college degree if
one gets to wear clean clothes and pretend to be white
collar.

I think the issue of demeaning work is an interesting
one. Young people are often exploited and there's
no reason he shouldn't be on the lookout for that. He
should expect to work hard for relatively low pay. He
shouldn't expect that he will have to do the Walmart
Wiggle, get urine tests, be required to work overtime,
be required to hang around with the boss, or any of the
other truly demeaning requirements that many employers
make. If it were me I'd try to steer him toward a personal
situation, with a small company rather than a large
corporation. Corporate work is dehumanizing. It's hard
to get around that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 9:12:09 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Those morons don't get it. I actually heard one of the proponents claim that the burger chain would only have to increase their price for a burger by 50 cents to pay for the increased wages. The moron, like most of those idiots pushing for the "high" minimum or "living" wage as they call it, will cause costs go through the roof for the fast food chains because all the suppliers will have to pay their employees more money which will increase the cost of products bought by the fast food restaurants. Of course the howling fast food workers may want a $15/hr minimum living wage only for themselves which is quite selfish. What's going to happen is what's happening in Europe where Socialist policies have run the costs up for businesses so much, that many jobs including food preparation are becoming done by automation and fewer people are being hired. Of course there are high paying jobs for the skilled people who build and service the automated equipment. Unskilled dumbasses always shoot themselves in the foot when they demand more pay than they deserve. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Selfish Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 09:17 AM, Billy Bigrigger wrote:
On 05/22/2015 09:34 AM, philo wrote:

A lot of the kids today do not believe me when I tell them that I made
$1.10 an hour back in the mid-60's.

Heck...I was a kid living at home so did not depend on the pay but it
was nice for me to be able to save up a few bucks and one day walk
into a ham radio store and order over $1000 worth of all new equipment.

breaker-19...bought a new cb to but didnt pay no grand for it...got me a
bird dog to to sniff out the bear in the bushs to...lol...catch ya on
the downstroke flip-flop...10-4...

No...this was not a CB set

Ham radio is a whole different thing.

I bought an SSB transceiver and a three element beam and rotator...
plus a really decent mic that I still have.

the rest was sold off long ago when I started college.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 09:22 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
"Billy Bigrigger" wrote in message
On 05/22/2015 09:34 AM, philo wrote:

A lot of the kids today do not believe me when I tell them that I made
$1.10 an hour back in the mid-60's.

Heck...I was a kid living at home so did not depend on the pay but it was
nice for me to be able to save up a few bucks and one day walk into a ham
radio store and order over $1000 worth of all new equipment.

breaker-19...bought a new cb to but didnt pay no grand for it...got me a
bird dog to to sniff out the bear in the bushs to...lol...catch ya on the
downstroke flip-flop...10-4...

you keep your cb, I'll stick with the ham radio.

You said it.

Anyone who wanted could get a CB set...but it took us a long time to
study up to get a ham ticket.

Had to know a lot of radio theory and Morse code (CW) at 5 wpm just to
get a Novice license.

I guess the CW requirement is no longer needed. Too bad

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 09:05 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Dang, the lowest I ever remember gas was 29.9 cents a gallon unless
there was a "gas war" and it would drop a few cents.

Now when it's $2.50 it seems cheap
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message
[...]

..- -. -... .... --- .-- .-.-.-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 09:46 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
"philo" wrote in message
[...]

.- -. -... .... --- .-- .-.-.-

Yep

though no longer active, I never forgot the CW
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 May 2015 03:14:21 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On Thu, 21 May 2015 23:20:02 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote in

We did have one electrician working at Watts Bar that was famous for
saying........I can wire anything from a two stall outhouse to a
nuclear power house.

Did Watts Bar ever fininsh Unit 3?

I worked there in the 80s I was unaware of a Unit 3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 9:44:19 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

The 22 cents/gal was at the rural San Ann gas stations. In town the price of gasoline could be 35 cents/gal for unleaded premium at Pure Oil Company stations. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Gas Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 9:44:19 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

Dang, the lowest I ever remember gas was 29.9 cents a gallon unless
there was a "gas war" and it would drop a few cents.

Now when it's $2.50 it seems cheap

When McD 1st opened the burgers were 15 cents and fries were a dime. You could watch them put potatoes in a thing with a handle...wham! and they'd come out the bottom. I remember a gas war that was 13 cents (before it was maybe 25).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo:
A lot of the kids today do not believe me when I tell them that I made
$1.10 an hour back in the mid-60's.

Maybe their critical thinking skills are lacking and they don't realize
that was really about $8.25/hour in 2015 dollars.
viz:
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....965&year2=2015
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo:
Dang, the lowest I ever remember gas was 29.9 cents a gallon unless
there was a "gas war" and it would drop a few cents.

Now when it's $2.50 it seems cheap

30 cents in 1965 dollars = $2.50 in 2015 dollars, so it's
really not that much more expensive.... unless somebody has been on a
fixed or some other non-inflation-responsive income.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Uncle Monster:
What's going to happen is what's happening in Europe where Socialist policies have run the costs up for businesses so much, that many jobs including food preparation are becoming done by automation and fewer people are being hired. Of course there are high paying jobs for the skilled people who build and service the automated equipment. Unskilled dumbasses always shoot themselves in the foot when they demand more pay than they deserve. 8-)

Do you know anybody who lives in Europe?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 10:42 AM, philo wrote:
Anyone who wanted could get a CB set...but it took us a long time to study up to get a ham ticket.

Had to know a lot of radio theory and Morse code (CW) at 5 wpm just to get a Novice license.

I guess the CW requirement is no longer needed. Too bad

I use texting app on my smart phone. Best thing is I don't need a minivan full of radio equipment and stupid looking whip antennas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
making. They worked hard for their money but the dollar was worth more back
then. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Minimum Monster

I keep hearing that, but up to about 10 years ago people had more stuff and
beter stuff than we did back in the 60's.

I would say from the 80' to around 2000 was the best years for people having
things. To me that would make the dollar worth more than back then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 10:20 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
A lot of the kids today do not believe me when I tell them that I made
$1.10 an hour back in the mid-60's.

Maybe their critical thinking skills are lacking and they don't realize
that was really about $8.25/hour in 2015 dollars.
viz:
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....965&year2=2015

Even more amazing was that I shared a slum apartment with four other
people back in 1971 when I got out of the Army.
Though my bedroom was really just a walk-in closet...my rent was $17 a
month!
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is high demand for quality trades people if he is willing to learn
the trade.

If the answer is no, then he is is going to have to learn at the school
of hard knocks or find a Sugar Momma.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 09:56 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 9:44:19 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

Dang, the lowest I ever remember gas was 29.9 cents a gallon unless
there was a "gas war" and it would drop a few cents.

Now when it's $2.50 it seems cheap

When McD 1st opened the burgers were 15 cents and fries were a dime. You could watch them put potatoes in a thing with a handle...wham! and they'd come out the bottom. I remember a gas war that was 13 cents (before it was maybe 25).

I recall the 15 cents hamburgers but around here was had to pay 12cents
for the fries.

Though the food was not any better than the place across the street, we
were also so amazed with the instant service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 10:22 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
Dang, the lowest I ever remember gas was 29.9 cents a gallon unless
there was a "gas war" and it would drop a few cents.

Now when it's $2.50 it seems cheap

30 cents in 1965 dollars = $2.50 in 2015 dollars, so it's
really not that much more expensive.... unless somebody has been on a
fixed or some other non-inflation-responsive income.

Yep, you are absolutely right.

Relatively speaking gas is still the same bargain that it was...and even
when it gets above $2.50 a gallon, the cars today get better gas mileage

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

On a radio news show the other day. A chain of burger joints had to pay
their people $15 an hour wages, so they got rid of the burger flippers
in each store and replaced them with an automated george foreman style
grill. problem solved.

another guy was working two full time jobs to put food on the table for
his family. now that he is getting $15 an hour he quit his second full
time job as a hotel jitney driver, which leaves an open position for
some one else to fill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 10:24:27 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Uncle Monster:
What's going to happen is what's happening in Europe where Socialist policies have run the costs up for businesses so much, that many jobs including food preparation are becoming done by automation and fewer people are being hired. Of course there are high paying jobs for the skilled people who build and service the automated equipment. Unskilled dumbasses always shoot themselves in the foot when they demand more pay than they deserve. 8-)

Do you know anybody who lives in Europe?
--
Pete Cresswell

I communicate with a few folks who live in Europe via Usenet. I can ask them about it but it's something I read in a financial news article a while back. I did read about more vending machines being used to sell what we don't usually see soldin them here in The U.S. I think there are vending machines for where you can purchase just about anything in Japan.
I came across one vending machine in Japan where you can buy something quite interesting. 8-)

https://tinyurl.com/kboxnn9

[8~{} Uncle Silly Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 11:04:59 AM UTC-5, Paul Marks wrote:
[...]

What those Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks don't understand is that a minimum wage job is not supposed to be a career choice for someone to raise a family on. Menial jobs that have traditionally been minimum wage jobs were meant to be starter jobs and stepping stones to better jobs. I suppose that the Dumbassification of America is the reason so many people can only handle a minimum wage job. Many of those people have no ambition to improve themselves enough so they can get a better, high paying job. When I lost a job or when I finally got fed up with the Affirmative Action male bovine droppings embraced by corporate America, I went to work for myself. Because I know how to do many things, I didn't have to look for work, people called me. When I was hospitalized for a heart attack, I had calls from folks wanting me to fix things and it broke my heart(no pun) to turn them down. They were people who only trusted me and I was quite unhappy that I couldn't help them. Now I'm really frustrated because I can't even walk. I'm disabled and I want to work but I can only look at a ladder as something I once ran up and down. Those things I did without a second thought are impossible for me now and that really makes me angry. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Angry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
making. They worked hard for their money but the dollar
was worth
more back then. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Minimum Monster

I keep hearing that, but up to about 10 years ago people
had more
stuff and beter stuff than we did back in the 60's.

I would say from the 80' to around 2000 was the best years
for people
having things. To me that would make the dollar worth
more than back
then.

http://www.aei.org/publication/when-...etting-richer/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
Too many of these idiots running around demanding a minimum wage of
$15 per hour don't seem to understand that a minimum wage job is not
meant to be a career. If all you can do is a minimum wage job,
perhaps you're an uneducated dumbass with no training or
qualifications to do anything else. What happened to trying to better
yourself by getting an education or going to a trade school to learn
how to do a job that pays a hell of a lot more than minimum wage.
Back in the 1980's, one of the jobs I had was working as an
electrician for $30 an hour. My first minimum wage job paid
$1.60 an hour while I was going to school.

That $1.60/hr in 1965 is equivalent to $12/hr today. So minimum wage workers
today are getting a lot less than you did in 1965. $15/hr is hardly exorbitant.
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/