Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_23_] Frank[_23_] is offline

Default OT Where to work

On 5/22/2015 7:54 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2015 20:20:02 -0700, Seymore4Head
wrote:

I was talking to my nephew about where to suggest he find a job. He
has said he doesn't want to have to do anything demeaning or
undignified (My guess is he doesn't want to do anything......period).
I didn't laugh out loud when he said it, but I did laugh on the
inside. Considering he just barely finished high school, I assume he
has more to learn than he thinks he does.

One place I suggested he apply for a job was the local hospital. I
was trying to think of a place that needed a more diverse range of
skills. I can think of a few places that would require some pretty
special skills (nuclear power and NASA) but I can't think of a too
many places that would require a more diverse range of skills.

We did have one electrician working at Watts Bar that was famous for
saying........I can wire anything from a two stall outhouse to a
nuclear power house.

Hospitals need everything from bed pan cleaners to brain surgeons.

Barely finishing high school is immaterial, UNLESS it indicates an
inability to maintain commitment and/or focus. When I hired people, I
looked at what they have done on their own. Not, what some school poured
into their heads. After all, in the REAL work invironment, you're on
your own and HAVE to learn on your OWN. Plus, if they have accomplished
something, built something, that means they have the ability to make
their thoughts into reality. Much more valuable to me than a
demonstration of a diploma and look how much they can absorb.

I would highly recommend he look for work doing something that he
actually learns something of value. Something he will need in the
future. To me, that rules out 'service' jobs. Work alongside an expert,
like a Painter, or plumber, or car mechanic, or construction type of
some kind. And LEARN! When he's older, he'll need to know how to take
care of things in his home himself. And in the interim, he can sell his
ability to 'fix' and build things for others. And the beauty of this
expertise is that it's really, really difficult to outsource! The work
HAS to be done right here.

Like my father told me, "Find something you LIKE to do, and people pay
you for; and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

Then, again, he might find a position with the govt, and also not have
to work a day in his life.

I was going to suggest kid developing a work ethic needed for any job -
presence on the job at set time, doing the work itself, developing
relations with coworkers etc but I think you got it right. Get a
government job. Only requirement is being able to get the job. Then
you earn money for doing nothing.