Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting with a garden sprayer

I went to repaint a shed with half a can of latex paint that had been
sitting 30 years. After 100 square feet I was tired and quit.

Today I decided to try my pump-up sprayer. Not having to keep loading my
brush was helpful, but the stream petered out. Then I remembered. Back
when I painted a lot, I normally thinned latex paint for brushing. Out
of the can, its good for rolling, but the viscosity puts a lot of drag
on a brush, and its hard to brush paint into cracks and corners.

I poured in about 5% water and stuck my drill-powered stirrer in. At
first it sprayed great, laying down paint in strips 2 wide. It soon
petered out. I poured it back in the can and continued.

With just a brush, it was much easier than yesterday. With less
viscosity, the brush moved easily. The paint spread quickly and flowed
into cracks and corners. Naturally Id had trouble using a sprayer with
paint that was too thick for brushing.

Paint stuck to the exterior of the sprayer parts, but the inside cleaned
so well that I didnt bother to disassemble the pump or valve. The
achilles heel was the filter. My tip orifice is 1.25mm, but the filter
uses 0.5mm squares. I call that bad engineering, needlessly restricting
viscous fluids.

I believe the other problem was that the paint wasnt completely mixed.
A paint can has corners where the thickest paint can hide from a
stirrer. Likewise, the sprayer tank has places for paint to hide from
the currents a stirrer generates. I should have mixed it in a
bowl-shaped container. I think the thickest paint clogged the filter.

There was another problem. To squirt paint, either I had to lay the
brush down, or I had to hold the pump handle and the spray handle in one
hand. One-handed sprayers cost $10 to $20. Solo has one with a swivel
nozzle. That would be great for painting overhead.

A neighbor wants me to paint her porch ceiling. She says it isnt much.
Any overhead job is much. You keep loading your brush and tipping it
up, and eventually paint runs down the handle. Besides, a brush with
paint in the heel is hard to clean.

Ill bet a job like that would be a lot easier with a sprayer in one
hand to apply paint and a brush in the other hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Next time filter the paint using a paint strainer. http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Paint-Strainer

Posted to alt.home.repair

100 sq. ft. would be about 12 running
feet at 8' high. If you'd just used a roller
you would have had that done in probably
about 20 minutes -- probably less time
than it took to set up the sprayer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/15 8:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 3:33:59 AM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
On 4/13/15 1:50 AM, wrote:

I had a louver door to paint and I had no interest in doing this with
a brush. I cut the latex paint 50/50 with water and shot on several
light coats. I was using a cup gun but I see no reason why a pump
sprayer wouldn't work.
I think you just had it too thick.

My scheme had been to use a sprayer to get the paint in position to
brush. Now I want to try your method!

Louver door I'd just spray it, that's a good example of what
a paint sprayer is good for.

The idea of laying up the paint with a garden sprayer is
similar to what many painters do when painting rough siding
and similar. They use a paint sprayer to quickly lay the paint
on, then back brush it to work it in. I recently used that
method for the first time myself. The main advantage is that
it eliminates all the back and forth to transfer the paint from
a can to the wall.

Yeah, that's what I was after, eliminating all that turning and loading.
That's also the most likely time to drip. If I get my technique right,
I won't have to dress like a slob to paint.
"High hats and narrow collars, white spats and lots of dollars."

If paint has the right viscosity, brushing can be pretty quick,
especially if I've laid it on with a sprayer about where I need it.

The advantage of a real sprayer vs a garden
one is it moves paint many times faster and more uniformly, better
control, etc.

But for a porch ceiling, I wouldn't spray. I'd use a roller,
back brush if needed.

I'd still need a brush for edges, grooves, and ceiling fixtures. If I
could just turn the ceiling upside down, no drips!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/15 8:09 AM, John G wrote:

Next time filter the paint using a paint strainer. http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Paint-Strainer

Is 190 microns for house paint? The filter in the sprayer is 500 microns.

Come to think of it, every time I've painted from a can, it has been too
thick at the bottom. I guess it doesn't get properly mixed in a can. If
I ladle it into a plastic tub, it may be a little thicker at the bottom,
but it's not so bad.

If I mixed it really well, with a power stirrer in a bowl-shaped
container, I wonder how long the pigment would stay evenly distributed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/15 8:52 AM, Mayayana wrote:
100 sq. ft. would be about 12 running
feet at 8' high. If you'd just used a roller
you would have had that done in probably
about 20 minutes -- probably less time
than it took to set up the sprayer.

Once I thinned the paint a little, I believe the opposite side took much
less than 20 minutes with a brush. If I'd used a roller for the first
side, I would still have needed a brush for the battens, if that's what
they're called, and cracks. (It's a bad design, wood strips,
horizontally and vertically, on masonite.)

Then I would have had a roller to clean. Ugh! I like a roller, but I
think it takes more than 100 square feet to make it more efficient than
a brush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:50:50 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 00:51:44 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

[...]

When spraying latex it helps to add a bit of Flo-Eaze to allow the
paint to flow out better - otherwize you get a fine sandbaper type
finish. Using Flo-Ease and my automotive touch-up gun my bathroom
vanity looks like a baked enamel finish. The closet doors, done
without the flow-ease, are a real fine texture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2015 12:38 PM, J Burns wrote:
Come to think of it, every time I've painted from a can, it has been too
thick at the bottom. I guess it doesn't get properly mixed in a can. If
I ladle it into a plastic tub, it may be a little thicker at the bottom,
but it's not so bad.

If I mixed it really well, with a power stirrer in a bowl-shaped
container, I wonder how long the pigment would stay evenly distributed.

I'd expect you would need to mix within the original
can, as the heavier pigment would settle to the bottom
of the original can. If you pour some into a bowl,
it will be the solvent, and less pigment.

It will start settlling immediately.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/15 8:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/13/2015 12:38 PM, J Burns wrote:
Come to think of it, every time I've painted from a can, it has been too
thick at the bottom. I guess it doesn't get properly mixed in a can. If
I ladle it into a plastic tub, it may be a little thicker at the bottom,
but it's not so bad.

If I mixed it really well, with a power stirrer in a bowl-shaped
container, I wonder how long the pigment would stay evenly distributed.

I'd expect you would need to mix within the original
can, as the heavier pigment would settle to the bottom
of the original can. If you pour some into a bowl,
it will be the solvent, and less pigment.

It will start settlling immediately.

I'll scrape it out with a rubbery spatula. I'll go to the corner store
and buy a spatula and a salad bowl. Maybe I should buy a chef's hat so
I won't look funny painting from a salad bowl.

Maybe I should install a battery-powered paint stirrer in the bottom of
the bowl to keep the pigment from settling.