Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default painting with a garden sprayer

On 4/13/15 8:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 3:33:59 AM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
On 4/13/15 1:50 AM, wrote:

I had a louver door to paint and I had no interest in doing this with
a brush. I cut the latex paint 50/50 with water and shot on several
light coats. I was using a cup gun but I see no reason why a pump
sprayer wouldn't work.
I think you just had it too thick.

My scheme had been to use a sprayer to get the paint in position to
brush. Now I want to try your method!

Louver door I'd just spray it, that's a good example of what
a paint sprayer is good for.

The idea of laying up the paint with a garden sprayer is
similar to what many painters do when painting rough siding
and similar. They use a paint sprayer to quickly lay the paint
on, then back brush it to work it in. I recently used that
method for the first time myself. The main advantage is that
it eliminates all the back and forth to transfer the paint from
a can to the wall.

Yeah, that's what I was after, eliminating all that turning and loading.
That's also the most likely time to drip. If I get my technique right,
I won't have to dress like a slob to paint.
"High hats and narrow collars, white spats and lots of dollars."

If paint has the right viscosity, brushing can be pretty quick,
especially if I've laid it on with a sprayer about where I need it.

The advantage of a real sprayer vs a garden
one is it moves paint many times faster and more uniformly, better
control, etc.

But for a porch ceiling, I wouldn't spray. I'd use a roller,
back brush if needed.

I'd still need a brush for edges, grooves, and ceiling fixtures. If I
could just turn the ceiling upside down, no drips!