Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Soaking garden sprayer in vinegar destroyed its threads?

We have hard water here, so vinegar is good for cleaning. I soaked our
garden sprayer in vinegar for three days. I suppose the destruction of the
metal was the reason there was some reaction causing the vinegar to produce
gas. In any case, it appears to have destroyed the threads where the
sprayer attaches to the garden hose. The sprayer slips over the male end of
the garden hose now, loose.

So that's the way it's going to be with any cheap Chinese made garden
sprayer? No soakie in vinegar? Do I have to buy one made out of stainless
steel if it is to be soaked in vinegar? Or plastic, I guess.

What do you think the metal was that disintegrated?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 04:34:19 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

We have hard water here, so vinegar is good for cleaning. I soaked our
garden sprayer in vinegar for three days. I suppose the destruction of the
metal was the reason there was some reaction causing the vinegar to produce
gas. In any case, it appears to have destroyed the threads where the
sprayer attaches to the garden hose. The sprayer slips over the male end of
the garden hose now, loose.

So that's the way it's going to be with any cheap Chinese made garden
sprayer? No soakie in vinegar? Do I have to buy one made out of stainless
steel if it is to be soaked in vinegar? Or plastic, I guess.

What do you think the metal was that disintegrated?

Thanks.

Acetic acid eats copper from brass. Chlorine and some alkaline
solutions eat the zinc. You really can't win. g

Plastic sounds like a good idea.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe fired this volley in news:melgob$nj8
:

What do you think the metal was that disintegrated?

Cast zinc.
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
news
Acetic acid eats copper from brass. Chlorine and some alkaline
solutions eat the zinc. You really can't win. g

Nearly any acid eats elemental zinc.

A lot of pressure-cast assemblies are made from zinc.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

We have hard water here, so vinegar is good for cleaning. I soaked our
garden sprayer in vinegar for three days.

THREE days?? No, you do't use vinegar that long! Maybe a half hour, then
flush with water. If not cleaned out enough, repeat. But, don't leave the
vinegar on more than about 30 minutes at a time.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

John Doe wrote:

We have hard water here, so vinegar is good for cleaning. I soaked
our garden sprayer in vinegar for three days.

THREE days?? No, you do't use vinegar that long!

You can use vinegar that long with other things, like glass and plastic.

Maybe a half hour, then flush with water. If not cleaned out enough,
repeat. But, don't leave the vinegar on more than about 30 minutes at
a time.

I will just avoid doing it. The idea that you can remove the lime
without damaging the zinc sounds far-fetched to me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 12:35:14 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
We have hard water here, so vinegar is good for cleaning. I soaked our
garden sprayer in vinegar for three days. I suppose the destruction of the
metal was the reason there was some reaction causing the vinegar to produce
gas. In any case, it appears to have destroyed the threads where the
sprayer attaches to the garden hose. The sprayer slips over the male end of
the garden hose now, loose.

So that's the way it's going to be with any cheap Chinese made garden
sprayer?

And the drywall imports apparently have high sulfur levels, possibly responsible for the rotten egg smell.

The wood flooring imports have formaldehyde levels too high. They've imported ontaminated pet food, toothpaste, seafood, bad dog food (dog jerky treats). Even tampons. Yes, tampons.

-- http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nut...eline-20120721