Posted to alt.home.repair

Default All you macho guys will like this:

All you macho guys will like this:

http://www.weather.com/sports-recrea...hotos-20141008
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2014 5:11 PM, micky wrote:
All you macho guys will like this:

http://www.weather.com/sports-recrea...hotos-20141008

Can you find me in this picture?

http://garrettkell.com/wp-content/up...ng-Ramadan.jpg

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:11:39 -0500, micky
wrote:

All you macho guys will like this:

Makes my pecker hard. Would you see me in my turf?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 11/22/2014 5:11 PM, micky wrote:
All you macho guys will like this:

http://www.weather.com/sports-recrea...hotos-20141008

Can you find me in this picture?

http://garrettkell.com/wp-content/up...ng-Ramadan.jpg

you're the one with the ass crack showing, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:20:45 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Can you find me in this picture?

No! Not unless you had your ass in the air while facing East.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2014 5:11 PM, micky wrote:
All you macho guys will like this:

http://www.weather.com/sports-recrea...hotos-20141008

I'm a bowhunter and most of these pictures are BS. You'd have to have a
camo pattern for all types of weather and vegetation situations. The
manufacturer picks the best situation for his particular pattern. Fact
is that deer have poor eyesight. Break up your silhouette with any
pattern and don't move and they won't see you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/14, 5:11 PM, micky wrote:
All you macho guys will like this:

http://www.weather.com/sports-recrea...hotos-20141008

Poachers, trying to hide from the warden. If you want to sneak up on
deer, try not to fart, grow a mustache so they won't recognize your
face, leave your old CDs at home, and wear a color they can't see, like
this gentleman.

http://pnwhunting.com/wp-content/upl...mage-apb-6.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 19:23:14 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 11/22/2014 5:11 PM, micky wrote:
All you macho guys will like this:

http://www.weather.com/sports-recrea...hotos-20141008

I'm a bowhunter and most of these pictures are BS. You'd have to have a
camo pattern for all types of weather and vegetation situations. The

I wondered about that myself.

manufacturer picks the best situation for his particular pattern. Fact

That too.

is that deer have poor eyesight.

Poor things. Maybe the EFFD can help. (Eyeglasses For Forlorn Deer)

Break up your silhouette with any
pattern and don't move and they won't see you.

Good to know. When the snow was deep, a deer ate my new cherry tree
bark last year. Not quite enough to kill it, but I'm not going to take
that lying down this year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote in :

On 11/22/14, 5:11 PM, micky wrote:
All you macho guys will like this:

http://www.weather.com/sports-recrea...act-amazingly-

realistic-camouflage-photos-20141008

Poachers, trying to hide from the warden. If you want to sneak up on
deer, try not to fart, grow a mustache so they won't recognize your
face, leave your old CDs at home, and wear a color they can't see, like
this gentleman.

http://pnwhunting.com/wp-content/upl...mage-apb-6.jpg

And in fact they don't see orange. When I hunt public land, I wear coveralls similar to those,
and several times deer have looked right at me and have given no indication that they were
aware of my presence -- as long as I don't move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2014 6:27 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Can you find me in this picture?
http://garrettkell.com/wp-content/up...ng-Ramadan.jpg

you're the one with the ass crack showing, right?

Naah, that's a flashlight in my back pocket
that got bumped on.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miller[_4_] View Post
And in fact they don't see orange. When I hunt public land, I wear coveralls similar to those, and several times deer have looked right at me and have given no indication that they were aware of my presence -- as long as I don't move.
You're over analyzing this.

I expect that the deer saw you perfectly well, but realized that you weren't close enough to be any immediate threat to them. The deer don't understand what a rifle is, so as long as you're far enough away that they can escape if you approach them, they're not threatened by your presence. It's the same with any wild animal. They're perfectly content to see you keep your distance because as long as you're far away, you're no threat to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/14, 11:34 PM, nestork wrote:
'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3311810']
And in fact they don't see orange. When I hunt public land, I wear
coveralls similar to those, and several times deer have looked right at
me and have given no indication that they were aware of my presence --
as long as I don't move.

You're over analyzing this.

I expect that the deer saw you perfectly well, but realized that you
weren't close enough to be any immediate threat to them. The deer don't
understand what a rifle is, so as long as you're far enough away that
they can escape if you approach them, they're not threatened by your
presence. It's the same with any wild animal. They're perfectly
content to see you keep your distance because as long as you're far
away, you're no threat to them.

When I lived in Vermont, I often saw deer as I went about my business,
until the day hunting season started. Then, I probably wouldn't see a
deer except far away, unless I sat still. In hunting season, they were
gone if they spotted my shape. Where humans spotted colors, deer saw
only shape and motion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/22/2014 5:11 PM, micky wrote:
All you macho guys will like this:

http://www.weather.com/sports-recrea...hotos-20141008

I'm a bowhunter and most of these pictures are BS. You'd have to have a
camo pattern for all types of weather and vegetation situations. The

I wondered about that myself.

manufacturer picks the best situation for his particular pattern. Fact

That too.

is that deer have poor eyesight.

Poor things. Maybe the EFFD can help. (Eyeglasses For Forlorn Deer)

Break up your silhouette with any
pattern and don't move and they won't see you.

Good to know. When the snow was deep, a deer ate my new cherry tree
bark last year. Not quite enough to kill it, but I'm not going to take
that lying down this year.

Deer's sense of hearing and smell make up for poor eyesight.
Deer are pests around my house. Winter is worst as they will eat most
plants. Bucks will rub the bark off a tree with their antlers but
usually don't eat bark. Rabbits will and often eat bark off small trees
that are deep in snow. Wrap will solve rabbit problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2014 3:09 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 11/22/14, 11:34 PM, nestork wrote:
'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3311810']
[...]

You're right. If a deer makes your presence it will normally run off
until it can no longer see you. When they are not threatened in areas
like parks they may just ignore you. When my chestnut trees are
dropping nuts, a few times I got within 20 feet of them yelling and had
to throw something to get them to leave.

Something else is that deer are familiar with their environment and if
something is out of place they won't go there. Heard of a hunter
putting a blind in a field where deer were traveling and did not
understand why deer did not come near him when they could not see him.
They saw the blind as a strange object and avoided it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can you find me in this picture?

No! Not unless you had your ass in the air while facing East.

I'm the guy praying to Salt Lake City.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2014 9:37 PM, micky wrote:

Good to know. When the snow was deep, a deer ate my new cherry tree
bark last year. Not quite enough to kill it, but I'm not going to take
that lying down this year.

**** on it. Human urine is supposed to keep deer away from things like
that. Best to face away from the neighbor's window when applying the
deer repellent though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/22/2014 9:37 PM, micky wrote:

Good to know. When the snow was deep, a deer ate my new cherry tree
bark last year. Not quite enough to kill it, but I'm not going to
take that lying down this year.

**** on it. Human urine is supposed to keep deer away from things
like that. Best to face away from the neighbor's window when
applying the deer repellent though.

Doesn't work . The only thing I had any success with was a mix of milk ,
eggs , water , and some cayenne extract soaked in some water . I added
some fish emulsion too - apparently if you keep this stuff on the trees the
protein smells will keep them from eating it because they don't eat protein
.. They still nearly killed my orchard , and may have killed one cherry and
my peach tree . This winter some wire cages are going up around them . With
holes too small for their noses to poke thru .
Poetic justice , one of the two marauders is now in my freezer ... hey , I
fed him all summer , it's only right !
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 11/23/2014 3:09 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 11/22/14, 11:34 PM, nestork wrote:
'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3311810']
[...]

Depends on how long the blind is there . Mine went up a month before the
season opened - last year . I've made a few changes , but by now it's just a
part of the terrain .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think eaten rather than rubbed because there very little or none lying
on the snow. When the snow melted, there was none on the ground.

usually don't eat bark. Rabbits will and often eat bark off small trees
that are deep in snow. Wrap will solve rabbit problem.

There were deer tracks and dog tracks in the snow but no rabbit tracks.
There are no homeless dogs around here, they all get fed, so after some
thought, I've come to the conclusion it was a deer.

It was only damaged above the white coiled wrap, and for the rest of the
winter, I put a second one on above that. I took it off in the summer
to "let it breathe" but it still looks terrible. Still, winter is here
and I'll put it back on today.

(A couple days later, after the damage, I looked out the back 2nd floor
window and saw a dog running around my back yard, in the snow, but he
didnt' go near the tree, and this was before the wrapping was added.
He was tried and acquitted of eating my bark.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 10:43:27 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/22/2014 9:37 PM, micky wrote:

Good to know. When the snow was deep, a deer ate my new cherry tree
bark last year. Not quite enough to kill it, but I'm not going to
take that lying down this year.

**** on it. Human urine is supposed to keep deer away from things
like that. Best to face away from the neighbor's window when
applying the deer repellent though.

A good idea. Can I just do it now or do I have to wait until it snows?

Doesn't work . The only thing I had any success with was a mix of milk ,
eggs , water , and some cayenne extract soaked in some water . I added
some fish emulsion too - apparently if you keep this stuff on the trees the
protein smells will keep them from eating it because they don't eat protein
. They still nearly killed my orchard , and may have killed one cherry and

Terrible. When will they learn to respect property rights. Was this
when the other food was covered by snow, or will they do this any day?

my peach tree . This winter some wire cages are going up around them . With
holes too small for their noses to poke thru .
Poetic justice , one of the two marauders is now in my freezer ... hey , I
fed him all summer , it's only right !

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in news:nestork.eb72348
@diybanter.com:

'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3311810']
And in fact they don't see orange. When I hunt public land, I wear
coveralls similar to those, and several times deer have looked right at
me and have given no indication that they were aware of my presence --
as long as I don't move.

You're over analyzing this.

I expect that the deer saw you perfectly well, but realized that you
weren't close enough to be any immediate threat to them.

At under twenty feet, I kind of doubt that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-11-23, Terry Coombs wrote:

Poetic justice , one of the two marauders is now in my freezer ... hey , I
fed him all summer , it's only right !

Works for me!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/14, 10:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/22/2014 9:37 PM, micky wrote:

Good to know. When the snow was deep, a deer ate my new cherry tree
bark last year. Not quite enough to kill it, but I'm not going to take
that lying down this year.

**** on it. Human urine is supposed to keep deer away from things like
that. Best to face away from the neighbor's window when applying the
deer repellent though.

Hmmm... I hate the hassle of indecent exposure charges, but I have a
spare pump-up sprayer...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/14, 11:43 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

**** on it. Human urine is supposed to keep deer away from things
like that. Best to face away from the neighbor's window when
applying the deer repellent though.

Doesn't work . The only thing I had any success with was a mix of milk ,
eggs , water , and some cayenne extract soaked in some water . I added
some fish emulsion too - apparently if you keep this stuff on the trees the
protein smells will keep them from eating it because they don't eat protein

They hate the smell of human hair. Before stapling hair to my tree, I'd
ask the authorities if there's any local law against the purchase or
possession of human scalps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

The damage was done during a very lush and green spring and early summer .
I bear the deer no malice , they were doing what deer do - tender young
shoots and leaves , a nibble here and a nibble there . I just need a barrier
to what I don't want nibbled . FWIW , last summer was the first time we've
had problems , and it is probably because I cleared an area they were
foraging in and replaced the undergrowth with fruit trees . They've got
plenty more , this whole hollow is mostly dense woods with lots of
undergrowth .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had rabbits girdle a couple of small fruit trees. They feed at the
snow line on top of the snow. Deer go after leaves and sometimes twigs.
When starving they will eat evergreens.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miller[_4_] View Post
At under twenty feet, I kind of doubt that.
You're telling me that you walked up to within 20 feet of a wild deer and they didn't respond to your presence? That they behaved as if you weren't there. And it's because you were wearing bright orange coveralls and deer can't see that colour?

Do I understand you correctly?

At 20 feet, not only could the deer see you, it would have heard and smelled you as well. The only way I could see a deer not responding is if it was a domesticated deer from a zoo that got loose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/14, 2:39 PM, nestork wrote:
'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3312067']
At under twenty feet, I kind of doubt that.

You're telling me that you walked up to within 20 feet of a wild deer
and they didn't respond to your presence? That they behaved as if you
weren't there. And it's because you were wearing bright orange
coveralls and deer can't see that colour?

Do I understand you correctly?

At 20 feet, not only could the deer see you, it would have heard and
smelled you as well. The only way I could see a deer not responding is
if it was a domesticated deer from a zoo that got loose.

Aw, you clipped the part where he said he didn't move. Hard to sneak up
in an animal with eyes on both sides of its head.

I used to go out late at night smoking a Judges Cave and looking for
wildlife. Step quietly, walk upwind, shield the glow, pay attention to
how I would show up against my background.

One night I saw a rabbit and eased in almost close enough to step on it.
I wondered why an animal with eyes on both sides didn't see me. Then
I saw it was preoccupied with a fox. The fox didn't see me because I
was out of its field of vision. I waited and the rabbit escaped the
fox. I took another puff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in :

'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3312067']
At under twenty feet, I kind of doubt that.

You're telling me that you walked up to within 20 feet of a wild deer
and they didn't respond to your presence? That they behaved as if you
weren't there. And it's because you were wearing bright orange
coveralls and deer can't see that colour?

No, I'm telling you that I was standing still, and the deer walked up to within 20 feet of me.

Do I understand you correctly?

At 20 feet, not only could the deer see you, it would have heard and
smelled you as well.

It certainly did smell me! It was vigorously sniffing the air, quite loudly. Since I was standing
motionless, the only thing it might have been able to hear was my breathing.

I'm not sure what it was able to see, but it certainly didn't see anything that alarmed it -- until I
moved. *Then* it took off.

The only way I could see a deer not responding is
if it was a domesticated deer from a zoo that got loose.

You evidently don't have a lot of experience with wild deer. They don't appear to fear things
that don't move.
Senior Member

I don't hunt, but I do have a bit of experience with deer.

In the town I grew up in, which was about 25 miles north of Winnipeg and had a population of 4400, or thereabouts, deer would often wander into town.

Admittedly those deer were lost and probably scared, but there's no way you could ever get close to one. As soon as you started to approach it, it would be off, and those things can run like the wind. Those times where I saw the RCMP (local police) try to deal with a deer that found it's way into someone's vegetable garden, the deer wouldn't let them get near. The police would just scare it, allowing a clear path for it to get out of the yard, and the deer would run out of the yard and out of town, and that was good enough. My experience with deer is that you can't get anywhere near 20 feet away from a deer (which is what I thought you meant) before it would run away.

Last edited by nestork : November 23rd 14 at 10:48 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2014 5:17 PM, nestork wrote:

In the town I grew up in, which was about 25 miles north of Winnipeg and
had a population of 4400, or thereabouts, deer would often wander into
town.

Admittedly those deer were lost and probably scared, but there's no way
you could ever get close to one.

That could have easily been eliminated had the town put up Deer Crossing
signs in the right places to direct them around town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2014 11:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 11/23/2014 3:09 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 11/22/14, 11:34 PM, nestork wrote:
'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3311810']
[...]

Right, that's the way it should be done. They get used to seeing it
around and ignore it. This guy was putting up the blind only while hunting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2014 3:40 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
nestork wrote in :

'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3312067']
[...]

On more than one occasion I've had a deer look at me while up in a
stand. Deer will stop and stare, paw and thump the ground, put it's
head down and then quickly look up to see if anything has changed. If I
have not moved, then the deer will ignore me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork writes:

My experience with deer is that you
can't get anywhere near 20 feet away from a deer (which is what I
thought you meant) before it would run away.

In the suburbs they are a lot more exposed to human presence.
20 ft is doable.

I had deer eat the bark off a locust I grew from seed.
I thought at about 7ft tall they'd leave it alone
so I took the cage off.
I did not look like the results of a buck scraping his horns.
The bark was removed.

Now it's about 10ft and I plan to keep the cage on until the
bark gets much thicker.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in news:nestork.eb82068
@diybanter.com:

[major snip]
My experience with deer is that you
can't get anywhere near 20 feet away from a deer (which is what I
thought you meant) before it would run away.

That depends heavily on how accustomed the deer are to seeing human beings. We have
a couple that wander through our neighborhood from time to time; I photographed one a few
years ago from a distance of about seven feet. The neighbor across the street told me that
her son (about 10 years old at the time) had actually petted it.

And we have a municipal park a few miles away that is jam-full of deer which aren't afraid of
humans or of leashed dogs.

Out in the forest, though -- heck, no, you can't walk within 20 feet of a deer without it running
away. Most of the time, a wild deer will take off before you get within forty or fifty yards. But if
you're standing or sitting still, making no noise, and camouflaged, they sometimes get very
close. My BIL shot one on opening day this year from a tree stand at a distance of just over
six yards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 20:39:11 +0100, nestork
wrote:

At under twenty feet, I kind of doubt that.

You're telling me that you walked up to within 20 feet of a wild deer
and they didn't respond to your presence? That they behaved as if
you weren't there. And it's because you were wearing bright orange
coveralls and deer can't see that colour?

No. He sat there and let the deer walk to him. BAM! Bambi is dead and
ready to eat, poor thing was just innocently eating forage.

Do I understand you correctly?

Not exactly.

At 20 feet, not only could the deer see you, it would have heard and
smelled you as well. The only way I could see a deer not responding
is if it was a domesticated deer from a zoo that got loose.

Deer can hear the vibrations of a bow-arrow, twang of the string,
directed at the kill spot, just before it is too late and they
collapse or run out of air.

Shoot 'em in the ear with a .270 to remove most of the skull. BAM.

--
Beers & Titties

A 125 gr soft point from a 30-06 to the chest cavity will put Bambi on the
ground so hard you can feel the thud .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A 30-06 saved me one day. Cottonmouth moccasin rose to strike near my
face. I had bent under a tree branch. The bullet cut it in three
pieces and a mud hole under the impact of the round.

I hate when that happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in :

A 125 gr soft point from a 30-06 to the chest cavity will put Bambi on the
ground so hard you can feel the thud .

So does a 1-oz slug from a 12-ga shotgun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2014 7:13 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in :

A 125 gr soft point from a 30-06 to the chest cavity will put Bambi on the
ground so hard you can feel the thud .

So does a 1-oz slug from a 12-ga shotgun.

I cast and reload a 1.25 oz Lyman slug. Does a great job even with a
light powder load only delivering about 1,200 ft/lb energy.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

:

A 125 gr soft point from a 30-06 to the chest cavity will put Bambi
on the
ground so hard you can feel the thud .

So does a 1-oz slug from a 12-ga shotgun.

I cast and reload a 1.25 oz Lyman slug. Does a great job even with a
light powder load only delivering about 1,200 ft/lb energy.

Is there a reloading forum?

Hey, guys. SteveB Metalworking 9 June 18th 10 03:53 AM
Macho keyboards Stuart Fields Metalworking 10 November 2nd 08 02:46 AM
Old guys were right Don Dando Woodworking 18 February 9th 07 09:31 AM
AC ? Are these guys trying to rip me off? Capri Home Repair 16 October 27th 05 06:34 AM
you guys pay too much Rwalling Woodturning 1 March 5th 05 07:39 PM