Posted to alt.home.repair

Default All you macho guys will like this:

Frank wrote:
On 11/23/2014 3:09 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 11/22/14, 11:34 PM, nestork wrote:
'Doug Miller[_4_ Wrote:
;3311810']
And in fact they don't see orange. When I hunt public land, I wear
coveralls similar to those, and several times deer have looked
right at me and have given no indication that they were aware of
my presence -- as long as I don't move.

You're over analyzing this.

I expect that the deer saw you perfectly well, but realized that you
weren't close enough to be any immediate threat to them. The deer
don't understand what a rifle is, so as long as you're far enough
away that they can escape if you approach them, they're not
threatened by your presence. It's the same with any wild animal.
They're perfectly content to see you keep your distance because as
long as you're far away, you're no threat to them.

When I lived in Vermont, I often saw deer as I went about my
business, until the day hunting season started. Then, I probably
wouldn't see a deer except far away, unless I sat still. In hunting
season, they were gone if they spotted my shape. Where humans
spotted colors, deer saw only shape and motion.

You're right. If a deer makes your presence it will normally run off
until it can no longer see you. When they are not threatened in areas
like parks they may just ignore you. When my chestnut trees are
dropping nuts, a few times I got within 20 feet of them yelling and
had to throw something to get them to leave.

Something else is that deer are familiar with their environment and if
something is out of place they won't go there. Heard of a hunter
putting a blind in a field where deer were traveling and did not
understand why deer did not come near him when they could not see him.
They saw the blind as a strange object and avoided it.

Depends on how long the blind is there . Mine went up a month before the
season opened - last year . I've made a few changes , but by now it's just a
part of the terrain .

--
Snag