Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make clear glass frosty

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of
clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take
off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of
glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of
privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the
opening.

I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

Another possibility would be to replace the glass with a frosty version.
It's only held in place with a caulking.

Any other suggestions?

As a separate issue, the glass is labelled "safety tempered." My concern
is that a burglar could break the glass and reach in and unlock the
deadbolt. I don't know how resistant the glass is to breaking. It's
probably about 1/8" thick. I was considering replacing it with Lexan,
although I don't know if that thickness would offer better resistance.

Thanks,

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 7:58 AM, Rebel1 wrote:
Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of
clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take
off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of
glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of
privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the
opening.

I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

Another possibility would be to replace the glass with a frosty version.
It's only held in place with a caulking.

Any other suggestions?

Most any decent paint department at the Big Box stores or specialized
paint store (Sherwin-Williams?) will have an aerosol paint that will
"frost" the glass. I used it on my detached garage windows.

As a separate issue, the glass is labelled "safety tempered." My concern
is that a burglar could break the glass and reach in and unlock the
deadbolt. I don't know how resistant the glass is to breaking. It's
probably about 1/8" thick. I was considering replacing it with Lexan,
although I don't know if that thickness would offer better resistance.

Safety tempered only means that when the glass breaks, it breaks into
small pieces the size of small peas with no jagged edges like you would
see if you dropped a mirror or glass bottle.

Lexan would certainly do the trick or decorative wrought iron grill.

Probably the easiest way to cure the problem if you have glass in the
door or adjacent to it as you do (that glass is called a light) is to
employ a double keyed deadbolt in the door.

Our doors are double locked when we leave the home and set the alarm.
If somebody does break in, say through a window, in addition to dealing
with the impending arrival of the police due to the alarm, they will
also have to remove anything they are taking through the same window
since they won't be able to easily open the doors.

I don't recommend using the double deadbolt when you're home. In case
of a fire you don't want to be looking around for a key and leaving the
key in the lock kinda defeats the purpose of the lockg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 05:58:24 -0700, Rebel1 wrote:

[...]

TAP Plastics may have the self-adhesive film to roll onto your glass. Kep
the tempered glass AND get a 'frosty' view.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 06:15:40 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

I don't recommend doing that in situ. I did that to the wordwork inour
home. Ten years later, was still getting little piles of sand falling of
of ??.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 9:15 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Rebel1 wrote:
I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.
Thanks,

R1

HI,
Sand blast.

I'd been thinking hydrofluoric acid, but
that's dificult to find at Walmart.

Ought to be some window treatments in
sheets of almost clear stuff, maybe Ace,
or other small town hardware.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't recommend using the double deadbolt when you're home. In case
of a fire you don't want to be looking around for a key and leaving the
key in the lock kinda defeats the purpose of the lockg

In my tinder trap, I leave the key on a shelf
near the door. But out of arms reach.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Another possibility would be to replace the glass with a frosty version.
It's only held in place with a caulking.

Any other suggestions?

R1
Why not buy a flat sheet light diffuser for a fluorescent light fixture from any lighting or home center, cut it into three pieces of the needed size and stick it to your existing glass panes with double sided mounting tape?

I just got off the phone with my local Home Depot, and they sell 5 different styles of 24 inch by 48 inch flat panel acrylic light diffusers for between 6 and 12 dollars each. All are white or colourless with a texture on them which scatters light in all directions, so when you look at the fluorescent light fixture you just see light, not the actual fluourescent tubes. This will allow outdoor light in while still ensuring privacy for those indoors. The plastic these things are made of is only about 1/8 inch in thickness so double sided mounting tape would be more than sufficiently strong to hold them in place.

Last edited by nestork : October 9th 14 at 03:18 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:

[...]

They sell a spray on window frost in the paint section at 'Depot /
Lowe's that works well and can be removed in the future if needed. $5 or
so and a few minutes to mask and spray will fix your problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 9:20 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Rebel1 wrote:

[...]

http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/...glass/project?

Tools

1-in and 2-in painter's tape for delicate surfaces
Glass cleaner
Utility or crafts knife

Materials

Valspar glass frosting spray paint, #105953

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:58:24 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

[...]

If a burglar wants to break that glass, a spring loaded center punch
will make it a pile of pebbles in one "punch". It won't even be that
loud.

Hi,
Wet a piece of news paper sheet with water, cover the glass, one punch
with gloved hand
glass will break without making noise and won't make a mess with pieces.
Learned from
burglar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 10:55 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Wet a piece of news paper sheet with water, cover the glass, one punch
with gloved hand
glass will break without making noise and won't make a mess with pieces.
Learned from
burglar.

Got to be more to that story....

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

_Static Cling Adhesive Free Window Film_

http://windowfilmworld.com/static-cling-window-film.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 8:58 AM, Rebel1 wrote:

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the opening.

I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

snip

It does exist.
http://www.contactbrand.com/products.htm#.VDaibh-mQ0t
"Con-Tact® Brand Clear Covering Frosty™ comes in a diamonds or white lace patterns. Use our Frosty™ covering for windows to create privacy without sacrificing style or blocking light."

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 11:02 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 10/9/2014 10:55 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Wet a piece of news paper sheet with water, cover the glass, one punch
with gloved hand
glass will break without making noise and won't make a mess with pieces.
Learned from
burglar.

Got to be more to that story....

cellmate?

Amazing, all the things you pick up, while doing
time.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of
clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take
off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of
glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of
privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the
opening.

I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

Another possibility would be to replace the glass with a frosty version.
It's only held in place with a caulking.

Any other suggestions?

1. Get a can of photo retouching lacquer and spray a coat on the glass, it
will become nice and frosty. I know of two manufacturers...McDonalds and
Lacquermat. Can't find an URL for McDonalds but any photographic supply
house should have it. Here's an URL for Lacquermat...
http://lacquer-mat.com/lacquercoatings41.html

2. If you want a totally permanent surface, you can frost it with fine
valve grinding compount...get a small piece of glass, put compound on it,
start rubbing/grinding it on the window. It will take a while

You might be able to do the same thing with silicon carbide sandpaper (wet
or dry paper); I suspect so but have never done it, have done it with
valve grinding compound.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of
Contact paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow
light passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.
Thanks,

R1

HI,
Sand blast.

I'd been thinking hydrofluoric acid, but
that's dificult to find at Walmart.

I tried that once when I needed to make a ground glass for a camera I was
making. Didn't work, just ate the glass I wound up using valve
grinding compound.

Sudden thought for OP: there are all sorts of spray products - besides
the lacquer I suggested - for frosting glass.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't recommend using the double deadbolt when you're home. In case
of a fire you don't want to be looking around for a key and leaving the
key in the lock kinda defeats the purpose of the lockg

What do you recommend? In our old house had we used anything but a
double deadbolt the thief would have gotten in and yes, were were home
in bed. The key was in a place hanging, but out of reach to the window
in the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of . . .
. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact paper, with a
frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light passage and privacy. I
can't find any such Contact paper.

You may be looking for the wrong material. Plastic seems
better and available at many sources, e.g. auto customizing
shops (which sell one-way plastic to darken car interiors.)

Temporarily you could just stick there a piece of old shower
curtain using Blue Tack or something cleanly removable.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/14, 8:58 AM, Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

I used to replace windshields on my motorcycles. I'd buy a suitable
piece of acrylic at a glass shop, saw the proper curve, drill screw
holes, warm it in the oven, and bend it to the right curve. We also
used acrylic in the military, where glass windows would have broken.

If I were you, I'd figure the thickest piece I could make fit, then have
a glass shop cut a piece of glazing plastic in that thickness. Sanding
would frost it. I might leave part of it masked while sanding, to leave
a clear spot for viewing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09 Oct 2014, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I don't recommend using the double deadbolt when you're home. In case
of a fire you don't want to be looking around for a key and leaving the
key in the lock kinda defeats the purpose of the lockg

You can leave a key on a string near the door, but beyond the reach of an
arm sticking in through the broken light. Or hidden, so the person outside
doesn't know it is there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ought to be some window treatments in
sheets of almost clear stuff, maybe Ace,
or other small town hardware.

You can also get thin plastic that is a one-way mirror. So you can see who
is outside, but they can't see in. Or switch to one-way mirror glass. Maybe
with a second thin sheet of plexiglass on the inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 13:57:01 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

better and available at many sources, e.g. auto customizing
shops (which sell one-way plastic to darken car interiors.)

Temporarily you could just stick there a piece of old shower
curtain using Blue Tack or something cleanly removable.

The OP just needs _Static Cling Adhesive Free Window Film_.

I provided a link.

Window film from an auto window shop will cost more and generally
offer less options.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/14, 4:54 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

You can also get thin plastic that is a one-way mirror. So you can see who
is outside, but they can't see in. Or switch to one-way mirror glass. Maybe
with a second thin sheet of plexiglass on the inside.

Wouldn't the one-way mirror work the wrong way when you turn on interior
lights at night?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Tempered glass is there to prevent jagged shards when it breaks, not to
make it break-resistant. If there is a deadbolt within reach of any window
(in the door or a side-lite) it should be of the sort that is keyed on both
sides and the key should _not_ be kept in the lock as that would be as bad
as having an unkeyed lock.

If the frame is amenable, you can use thicker frosted Lexan although it
might be simpler to obtain some shatter-resistant film instead.

Making clear glass less transparent is as simple as an application of one
of the chemical etching compounds available at most hardware or craft
stores although it is still easier to apply a frosted film. I took this
route on my shop and basement windows and it is pretty easy and cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A simple thin dusting with white paint will work just fine. Just spray from a couple of feet away so the paint is almost dry before it hits the glass. Done it several times. Even frosted a clear light bulb that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Crystal laquer used to be the simple solution to that problem. Nor
sure where you would get it today. I believe the most common one in
use was by Sheffield Bronze.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not quite the crystal laquer I remember from my boyhood, but lowes
has a spray glass frosting --Valspar glass frosting spray paint,
#105953
Rustoleum makes a similar product available at Home Despot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 07:15:40 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Might be dangerous on tempered glass. Not sure. Most tempered frosted
glass is frosted before tempering from what I remember from my window
days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.
Thanks,

R1

HI,
Sand blast.

I'd been thinking hydrofluoric acid, but
that's dificult to find at Walmart.

Ought to be some window treatments in
sheets of almost clear stuff, maybe Ace,
or other small town hardware.

MacTac used to make all kinds of dedorative glass film, but I have not
seen it in a number of years - possibly because I wasn't looking for
it - or possibly because it doesn't exist any more??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

That would probably violate building codes. In NJ, you can't have a
double-keyed deadbolt on the main entrance door; it would hamper
emergency escapes.

If the frame is amenable, you can use thicker frosted Lexan although it
might be simpler to obtain some shatter-resistant film instead.

I'll have to investigate frosted Lexan, because it might also be more
resistant to burglars. Tomorrow, I'll measure the thickness of the
present glass, and see if the inner and outer frames allow for a greater
thickness.

Making clear glass less transparent is as simple as an application of
one of the chemical etching compounds available at most hardware or
craft stores although it is still easier to apply a frosted film. I took
this route on my shop and basement windows and it is pretty easy and cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably the easiest way to cure the problem if you have glass in the
door or adjacent to it as you do (that glass is called a light) is to
employ a double keyed deadbolt in the door.

Our doors are double locked when we leave the home and set the alarm. If
somebody does break in, say through a window, in addition to dealing
with the impending arrival of the police due to the alarm, they will
also have to remove anything they are taking through the same window
since they won't be able to easily open the doors.

Unfortunately, the windows in this ranch house are easy to reach because
they are so close to the ground. And they are single-pane (surprising
for Florida, with its extended air-conditioning season).

I don't recommend using the double deadbolt when you're home. In case
of a fire you don't want to be looking around for a key and leaving the
key in the lock kinda defeats the purpose of the lockg

When selling a house in NJ, it needs to pass a Certificate for Continued
Inspection before it can be sold. A double-keyed deadbolt on the main
door is strictly forbidden. It's okay on another exterior door, like in
a laundry room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 9:18 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

TAP Plastics may have the self-adhesive film to roll onto your glass.
Kep the tempered glass AND get a 'frosty' view.

Great lead. I especially like the polycarbonate because of its
break-resistance. Watch the video he

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p...ate_sheets/516

Thanks,

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 10:15 AM, nestork wrote:
Rebel1;3293898 Wrote:

[...]

Super idea that I never considered. Wouldn't help with burglar
resistance, but there are so many other vulnerable windows that it may
not matter. From a security point of view, this house was a poor choice
with its low, single-paned windows. Security should have been a top
consideration when I was house-hunting in June, since my previous house
was burgled and I had a hefty loss.

Thanks.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If I decide to use frosty polycarbonate as a replacement, I do just that
to the old glass. I already have such a center punch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

_Static Cling Adhesive Free Window Film_

http://windowfilmworld.com/static-cling-window-film.htm

Another neat idea. I'm leaning toward polycarbonate sheet as a
replacement. If I can't get frosty poly, I could use this instead or
some of the sprays that other have suggested.

Thanks,

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 11:10 AM, Susan Bugher wrote:
[...]

I wonder how I missed that. Thanks for the lead, Susan.

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My entrance door has side light like that, we installed mini blind there
in lieu of drapery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 1:57 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"Rebel1" wrote in message

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of . . .
. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact paper, with a
frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light passage and privacy. I
can't find any such Contact paper.

You may be looking for the wrong material. Plastic seems
better and available at many sources, e.g. auto customizing
shops (which sell one-way plastic to darken car interiors.)

Temporarily you could just stick there a piece of old shower
curtain using Blue Tack or something cleanly removable.

A wonderful, simple, inexpensive idea. Thanks.

R1