Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make clear glass frosty

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of
clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take
off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of
glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of
privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the
opening.

I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

Another possibility would be to replace the glass with a frosty version.
It's only held in place with a caulking.

Any other suggestions?

As a separate issue, the glass is labelled "safety tempered." My concern
is that a burglar could break the glass and reach in and unlock the
deadbolt. I don't know how resistant the glass is to breaking. It's
probably about 1/8" thick. I was considering replacing it with Lexan,
although I don't know if that thickness would offer better resistance.

Thanks,

R1